The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
B spectators quite vocal, bordering on abusive/personal comments toward officials..
Nip this in the bud. Especially in a MS game.

As for the T, it was a good one. Whenever a coach tells me he wasn't talking to me I usually laugh inside.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
Agreed, but what the OP described (raucous crowd and borderline coach) makes me think the it was casual in this case. Just my opinion.
Probably, I just don't like asking that question when a guy is second guessing himself. Too many times the coach is stupid, and a good T doesn't help.
Or a smart coach will just live quietly with a bad T.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Probably, I just don't like asking that question when a guy is second guessing himself. Too many times the coach is stupid, and a good T doesn't help.
Or a smart coach will just live quietly with a bad T.
OK, I see your point.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
May have kicked a technical foul last night. Very competitive MS boys game. B spectators quite vocal, bordering on abusive/personal comments toward officials. A1 is driving across the lane when he is hacked on the arm By B1 as he is gathering the ball. Coach B is immediately asking me what B1 did. After reporting the foul, I explained the call to him. He huffs and stomps off yelling, "That was a WEAK foul!!!" I took it as directed at me and my call (and possibly inciting his already boisterous crowd). After meeting with my partner and going over the foul shooting order, etc., Coach B called me over (calmly) and contended that he was yelling at his player. Until that moment I had not considered that as a possibility. I explained the way I perceived it and we moved on. After that we had a better game.
In of itself, "that's a weak call," is nothing in my books. I don't think it's a comment that's personal. Now with the theatrics that you mentioned, plus the inciting of the crowd, I wouldn't have a problem with the call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
In of itself, "that's a weak call," is nothing in my books. I don't think it's a comment that's personal. Now with the theatrics that you mentioned, plus the inciting of the crowd, I wouldn't have a problem with the call.
For me, the comment alone would get rung. It's no different than "that's a middle school call."
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For me, the comment alone would get rung. It's no different than "that's a middle school call."
If we're talking about statements in of themselves, I don't see this being the same. This statement can a coach's backhanded attempt at saying one's officiating abilities are not par for the game and that one does not belong in a game. A coach saying a call is weak, in my books, it the same as him saying a call is bad.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 09:40pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the comment alone is T worthy, my opinion. It's the same if a coach says "that was an awful call", "that call stunk". Just the comment is simple venting. How they say it and what they do are different, but if I just heard those statements as is I wouldn't T them up.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
May have kicked a technical foul last night. Very competitive MS boys game. B spectators quite vocal, bordering on abusive/personal comments toward officials. A1 is driving across the lane when he is hacked on the arm By B1 as he is gathering the ball. Coach B is immediately asking me what B1 did. After reporting the foul, I explained the call to him. He huffs and stomps off yelling, "That was a WEAK foul!!!" I took it as directed at me and my call (and possibly inciting his already boisterous crowd). After meeting with my partner and going over the foul shooting order, etc., Coach B called me over (calmly) and contended that he was yelling at his player. Until that moment I had not considered that as a possibility. I explained the way I perceived it and we moved on. After that we had a better game.
T.

Coaches don't act that way towards their players.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If we're talking about statements in of themselves, I don't see this being the same. This statement can a coach's backhanded attempt at saying one's officiating abilities are not par for the game and that one does not belong in a game. A coach saying a call is weak, in my books, it the same as him saying a call is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't think the comment alone is T worthy, my opinion. It's the same if a coach says "that was an awful call", "that call stunk". Just the comment is simple venting. How they say it and what they do are different, but if I just heard those statements as is I wouldn't T them up.
I really don't see the difference, but I'd have to hear it in the game to say for sure. I'll say this, though, the odds of me calling this in a middle school game are almost 100%.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

For me that comment would not get a T in itself, but if it was included in other bad behavior then the coach is on sketchy ground with me. Does that mean that I would give a T here? Probably not, but I can see how that was the result.

I think we all have to find our "line in the sand." Some have a shorter line than others.

Like I was told a long time ago, "When you roll the dice, you just might crap out." So a coach is taking a chance that any of his comments will be misunderstood. And if he does not want it that way, well you know what they say about quoting silence.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I really don't see the difference, but I'd have to hear it in the game to say for sure. I'll say this, though, the odds of me calling this in a middle school game are almost 100%.
yes level of play does play a difference. But when I speak, I speak (not to put it bluntly) for games that matter.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

hs scrimmage, had to T a coach this week for similar...opponent driving to basket for layup, gets contact to the head, i call foul, count basket. coach then wants to 'ask' me about it during the ft. i acknowledge (tableside anyway after reporting).

"you're suddenly making all the calls and they're going the other way". ok coach, i hear ya, and begin to walk away. Then I hear "that's bull$h!t, it's absolute bull$h!t!" being yelled from him. Whack.

Partners then said i should have let the contact to the head go without a whistle since he made the layup and i shouldn't have whacked the coach
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote: "Partners then said i should have let the contact to the head go without a whistle since he made the layup and i shouldn't have whacked the coach."

My thought in such a situation, "Uh, did I just get "big-timed?"
Sometimes, I wish I could T up a partner(s)!
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
yes level of play does play a difference. But when I speak, I speak (not to put it bluntly) for games that matter.
And I was speaking to the OP.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
hs scrimmage, had to T a coach this week for similar...opponent driving to basket for layup, gets contact to the head, i call foul, count basket. coach then wants to 'ask' me about it during the ft. i acknowledge (tableside anyway after reporting).

"you're suddenly making all the calls and they're going the other way". ok coach, i hear ya, and begin to walk away. Then I hear "that's bull$h!t, it's absolute bull$h!t!" being yelled from him. Whack.

Partners then said i should have let the contact to the head go without a whistle since he made the layup and i shouldn't have whacked the coach
if my partners said something like that to me....my response: "I appreciate your opinion. Here's my opinion: EVERY time a shooter gets hit in the head and a coach yells 'that's bull$hit', I WILL blow my whistle."

btw, those partners are complete idiots!