The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

"That was a WEAK foul!!!"

May have kicked a technical foul last night. Very competitive MS boys game. B spectators quite vocal, bordering on abusive/personal comments toward officials. A1 is driving across the lane when he is hacked on the arm By B1 as he is gathering the ball. Coach B is immediately asking me what B1 did. After reporting the foul, I explained the call to him. He huffs and stomps off yelling, "That was a WEAK foul!!!" I took it as directed at me and my call (and possibly inciting his already boisterous crowd). After meeting with my partner and going over the foul shooting order, etc., Coach B called me over (calmly) and contended that he was yelling at his player. Until that moment I had not considered that as a possibility. I explained the way I perceived it and we moved on. After that we had a better game.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Doesn't sound like the way coach's "speak" to player. Sounds like the T worked the way it should.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:53am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
May have kicked a technical foul last night. Very competitive MS boys game. B spectators quite vocal, bordering on abusive/personal comments toward officials. A1 is driving across the lane when he is hacked on the arm By B1 as he is gathering the ball. Coach B is immediately asking me what B1 did. After reporting the foul, I explained the call to him. He huffs and stomps off yelling, "That was a WEAK foul!!!" I took it as directed at me and my call (and possibly inciting his already boisterous crowd). After meeting with my partner and going over the foul shooting order, etc., Coach B called me over (calmly) and contended that he was yelling at his player. Until that moment I had not considered that as a possibility. I explained the way I perceived it and we moved on. After that we had a better game.
This was directed at you. Good call on the T, and don't think anything else about it. He can call you over after the fact and say it wasn't directed at you, but if he does that right after you explained to him what happened on the play -- its a T.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

"I wasn't talking to you" is the oldest, and weakest, defense in the coaching book. I'm guessing he hadn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt up to that point.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 11:55am
NFHS Official

Prime Example.

Fast break to A1 dribbling towards the basket, A2, running along sets an illegal screen on B1 tryining to get across to A1. I am opposite the table and coach jumps and yells as loud as he can, "That is pathetic, just pathetic". I give him a T. He then says he wasn't talking about me, and say the call was pathetic not me.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:20pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
"I wasn't talking to you" is the oldest, and weakest, defense in the coaching book.
Weak indeed. A good response is, "Coach I know who you were talking to." Not antagonistic, sarcastic, or disrespectful, but it doesn't let him slide nor invite further discussion.

Or, for my fellow English speakers, "Coach, I know to whom you were talking."

Now, if I just had a good response to the new coach fave around here: "C'mon, maven, you're better than that!" My most recent response to that one is, "Thanks, coach!"
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:24pm
This IS My Social Life

Nice Catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
"Coach I know who you were talking to."
Attention: Grammar Police Alert . . .

Quote:
"Coach, I know to whom you were talking."
Oh, nevermind.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Weak indeed. A good response is, "Coach I know who you were talking to." Not antagonistic, sarcastic, or disrespectful, but it doesn't let him slide nor invite further discussion.

Or, for my fellow English speakers, "Coach, I know to whom you were talking."

Now, if I just had a good response to the new coach fave around here: "C'mon, maven, you're better than that!" My most recent response to that one is, "Thanks, coach!"
I told a player once, "No, you were talking to me through your teammates." I'll go with yours instead.

On your last, depending on my rapport, I might respond with, "I think we both know I'm not."
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I told a player once, "No, you were talking to me through your teammates." I'll go with yours instead.

On your last, depending on my rapport, I might respond with, "I think we both know I'm not."
I've warned a coach who was having a very audible convo with his player by telling him that's the type of conversation I don't want to hear in the future.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

My assignor must not agree - he keeps sending me to your games.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Prime Example.

Fast break to A1 dribbling towards the basket, A2, running along sets an illegal screen on B1 tryining to get across to A1. I am opposite the table and coach jumps and yells as loud as he can, "That is pathetic, just pathetic". I give him a T. He then says he wasn't talking about me, and say the call was pathetic not me.
"I understand Coach. The T wasn't because you're pathetic....it's because what you said was pathetic."
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 03:49pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
"i understand coach. The t wasn't because you're pathetic....it's because what you said was pathetic."
+1
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
After that we had a better game.
And there is the answer... Good T.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
And there is the answer... Good T.
The answer to whether it was a good T rarely involves asking if the game got better. The two are perhaps correlated, but not causal.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 06:04pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The answer to whether it was a good T rarely involves asking if the game got better. The two are perhaps correlated, but not causal.
Agreed, but what the OP described (raucous crowd and borderline coach) makes me think the it was casual in this case. Just my opinion.