The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post

I know others are going to vehemently disagree with this but try finding and posting video of a situation where the player picks up his dribble with neither foot on the ground.
And I'm one of them...to say that it never happens in basketball is...well wrong IMO. You can see it happen during layups where the player is attempting it on the run. Also seen it plenty of times during jump stops.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Wed Nov 07, 2012 at 01:39pm.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2012, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Need Weak Side Help ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
To say that it never happens in basketball is, well wrong. You can see it happen layups where the player is attempting it on the run. Also seen it plenty of times during jump stops.
... especially in younger players when they try to shoot with their weak hand on the weak side, or even worse, when they shoot with their strong hand on the weak side. It usually looks really odd, but odd isn't always a traveling violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 07, 2012, 06:53pm
We don't rent pigs

Never say never, but I say that it is quite rare for a player to catch the ball ending a dribble with both feet off the ground. With the benefit of slow motion, I think a large majority of layups could be called a travel, but it is generally difficult to impossible to pinpoint the exact location of the feet when the dribble is ended, so, when in doubt,

let it go.

Having said that, tune in any college game, and you will see moves to the basket involving a spin or whatever, which are impossible to perform legally, yet go uncalled, I assume by design.

"If they're not gonna call it, they should change the rule." **

**Bob Knight

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 07:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pick A Prize Off The Top Shelf ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It is generally difficult to impossible to pinpoint the exact location of the feet when the dribble is ended, so, when in doubt, let it go.
Bingo.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Having said that, tune in any college game, and you will see moves to the basket involving a spin or whatever, which are impossible to perform legally, yet go uncalled, I assume by design.
I wouldn't make that assumption.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 08:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Never say never, but I say that it is quite rare for a player to catch the ball ending a dribble with both feet off the ground. With the benefit of slow motion, I think a large majority of layups could be called a travel
I couldn't disagree more.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

the best way for anyone to get experience with what may or may not be a travel should work Jr Hi. girls games. Not being sexist here, they just don't seem to devolpe their coordination as quickly as boys do. You will see proably all of the examples already discussed in this thread. It definatly helps you get a grasp on what your looking for.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 11:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hopefully Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Won't Read This Post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
work Jr Hi. girls games.
... and praise the Lord that that NFHS came up with the alternating possession arrow, and did away with almost all jump balls. I think that the NFHS did it just because of middle school girls games.

Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... and praise the Lord that that NFHS came up with the alternating possession arrow, and did away with almost all jump balls. I think that the NFHS did it just because of middle school girls games.

AMEN..Ha Ha Sounds like you also have done a few of these!
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I have a girls middle school double header tonight. I'll try to post an estimate tomorrow of how many APs we had.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
I have a girls middle school double header tonight. I'll try to post an estimate tomorrow of how many APs we had.
I got the over / under at 15... I'll take the over in a double header.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
I got the over / under at 15... I'll take the over in a double header.
How much do I owe you? Girls A - first game = 4. Girls B - second game =20. Total 24.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
How much do I owe you? Girls A - first game = 4. Girls B - second game =20. Total 24.
You call entirely too many simultaneous goal tending/basket interference violations.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 09:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
You call entirely too many simultaneous goal tending/basket interference violations.
+1

Nice job of bringing it back on topic.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

True story...I was working a jr. hi. girls game with a 2nd (or 3rd yr) ref. At the time I was around the 10 yr. mark so he ask me if he can be the "R" for the 2 games. I say sure, great time to learn pre-game routine etc. So we decide to meet with coaches and captians and he starts off good, talking about sportsmanship and the neccessary issues, then he starts to go through a long diatribe covering points of emphasis and sure enough he covers goal tending / basket interference. BOTH coaches laugh and I try my best to get through the rest of his meeting with them. Great times!