The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Layup

Scrappy (read ugly) game. Lots of fouls. Not too much talent. Near end A1 misses a layup. Tip tip rebound ball goes up misses tip tip B1 hits the floor tip ball goes up misses tip tip rebound secured by A2. A2 is standing under the basket so he takes a step to his right but can't because B1 is lying there on his side with his arms covering his head. A2 looks down, places his right foot on B1's hip and from there puts in the lay up. You are at C and clearly saw the entire sequence.

What do you do?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Scrappy (read ugly) game.
I think I resemble that remark. . .

I think I might have an intentional personal foul for stepping on the kid on the floor.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If it had been his teammate, it would be a technical foul for not being a basketball play. Because it's an opponent, I'd call it flagrant technical and toss him. And then come home and write a "what is this world coming to?" post on the forum.

So, what did you do, Dan?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Right - On! Unsporting Violation? Spirit of the rules? Unfair advantage? Intentional foul?

Many ways to get that player a seat.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Right - On! Unsporting Violation? Spirit of the rules? Unfair advantage? Intentional foul?
Unsporting violation? I've heard of unsporting fouls, but unsporting foul = non-contact. Doesn't seem to apply here. (I think you knew that, though, and were just speaking off-the-cuff. But I thought I'd make it explicit.)
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:51pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Scrappy (read ugly) game. Lots of fouls. Not too much talent. Near end A1 misses a layup. Tip tip rebound ball goes up misses tip tip B1 hits the floor tip ball goes up misses tip tip rebound secured by A2. A2 is standing under the basket so he takes a step to his right but can't because B1 is lying there on his side with his arms covering his head. A2 looks down, places his right foot on B1's hip and from there puts in the lay up. You are at C and clearly saw the entire sequence.

What do you do?
Dan, I don't know how you could have described this play any better, but it still seems like one you would have to see to appreciate. If you feel this was intentional, (sounds like that's what you think and it doesn't sound like it could have happened if not intentional) I would say flagrant personal foul, no basket, you can go home now.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
If it had been his teammate, it would be a technical foul for not being a basketball play. Because it's an opponent, I'd call it flagrant technical and toss him.
A technical foul for live-ball illegal contact?

You know better than that, Juulie. Gotta be a personal foul of some kind- PC, intentional or flagrant. That determination is up to the calling official.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 03:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think an intentional foul covers it well here.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, this game was played under ncaa rules. The ncaa book contains this under 4.33.4a:

Quote:

A.R. 91. B1 slips to the floor in the free-throw lane. A1 (with his/her back to B1, who is prone) receives a pass, turns and, in his or her attempt to drive to the basket, trips and falls over B1. RULING: Foul on B1, who has taken an illegal defensive position.
Also says this action is a direct T:

Quote:
10.7.5. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

What do you do?
My turn....
If A2's pivot foot was his right foot, and he then lifted that pivot foot to take the step, and subsequently put his pivot foot down on B1 to jump off him, is that traveling?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Nov 19, 2006 at 03:47pm.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Also says this action is a direct T:
How is that applicable to this situation? A2 jumped off an opponent, not a teammate.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
How is that applicable to this situation? A2 jumped off an opponent, not a teammate.
Well, it's applicable because A2 didn't jump off a team mate.

btw...might have been nice to calmly come out of that mess with a whistle for a travel, but if he travelled I missed it coach.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 04:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

btw...might have been nice to calmly come out of that mess with a whistle for a travel, but if he travelled I missed it coach.
How can you call a travel if A2 didn't put his pivot foot back on the floor after he lifted it?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 04:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
A.R. 91. B1 slips to the floor in the free-throw lane. A1 (with his/her back to B1, who is prone) receives a pass, turns and, in his or her attempt to drive to the basket, trips and falls over B1. RULING: Foul on B1, who has taken an illegal defensive position.
I had a feeling that you were thinking about this. But I think this only applies to block/charge plays. And no matter what you called (or didn't call) in your original situation, it doesn't sound to me like a block/charge play.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I had a feeling that you were thinking about this. But I think this only applies to block/charge plays. And no matter what you called (or didn't call) in your original situation, it doesn't sound to me like a block/charge play.
No, it's not a block/charge.

But the AR is clear - B1 has taken an illegal position.