The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2012, 09:45am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up First Games Assigned 2012-13.

First one is on November 6th. I've already voted, and it is the 6 pm game only 15 miles from home.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2012, 10:15am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hoorah! Good for you Gapper!

Our scrimmages don't start until 10 Nov, and unfortunately, I'm out of town that day....gotta wait another week!

Enjoy!
Old Sun Oct 28, 2012, 01:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will not work a game until November 19 at this point. I usually have a college game or two before that point, but working a lot of college football so not really available for much.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 28, 2012, 01:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Late Bloomer

Keeping the economy going with two jobs here renders me unassignable for middle school boys which starts the first of November, so first game isn't until November 27. Meeting weekly with eager first-year officials since about mid-summer in order to make up for that. Trying to constructively compensate, contribution-wise, for inability to do MS games. Full schedule after that. Only two or three possible open dates.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 05:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Let's get it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
First one is on November 6th.
Just got my scrimmage schedule - 14, 17, 19 and 20 Nov. Regular season starts the 26th.
Quote:
I've already voted, and it is the 6 pm game only 15 miles from home.
My closest games are THREE miles away. Heck, my furthest isn't even 15 miles away! Hoorah!!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 06:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nepotism ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Heck, my furthest isn't even 15 miles away!
Is the assignment commissioner your brother-in-law?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 06:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is the assignment commissioner your brother-in-law?
Nope, but I thanked him profusely!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, but I thanked him profusely!
Did he reply by saying it will never happen again?
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First one is on November 6th. I've already voted, and it is the 6 pm game only 15 miles from home.

First scrimmage: 11am today.

First doubleheader: next Thursday, 2 miles from the workplace. $100.

Life is good.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 12:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Still waiting for mine. Hopefully they come!
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 07:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
First scrimmage: 11am today.

First doubleheader: next Thursday, 2 miles from the workplace. $100.

Life is good.
I just got emails looking for officials for scrimmages.

One pays $75, another pays $80. Both are about 3 hours long. Can't work either -- last college football game on the first date, business trip on the other.

I just shake my head when I hear of officials not getting paid to work scrimmages.

First game in 13 days.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 09:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I just shake my head when I hear of officials not getting paid to work scrimmages.
STOP SHAKING YOUR HEAD AT ME! Meanie!
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 09:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
STOP SHAKING YOUR HEAD AT ME! Meanie!
+1

It's not my system, I just work in it.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 11:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We started a new scrimmage policy a few years ago. Previous to the change, we either used to sign up for free scrimmages at our preseason local board meetings, or we would get calls from local coaches with whom we previously had some type of relationship, usually hometown coaches. The scrimmages were "free" but we would often walk away with a twenty dollar bill in our pocket, or get a free T-shirt, or get a grinder, or a couple of slices of pizza, and this always had a positive effect on relations between the officials and the school. Under this system, I would often work a half dozen, or more, scrimmages, choosing to work games either near my home, or near my work. These scrimmages really got me prepared for the upcoming season.

Under our new paid scrimmage policy, we are assigned scrimmages, as much as fifty miles away, by our assistant assignment commissioner, through Arbiter, and get paid $33.33, minus the 7% commissioner's fee, for a two hour scrimmage, three officials assigned, two person games, switch on, and off, the court between periods. Now that we get paid, everybody, 325 local board members, wants to get in on the money, so guys that never wanted to work scrimmages in the past, now can't wait to get some cash in their pockets. Since the change, I have never been assigned more than two scrimmages. Last year I was only assigned one scrimmage, a girls scrimmage. My next game, a "real" game, was a boys varsity game, which turned out to be the most competitive game of my season, with two teams who had gone deep into the state tournament the previous year, one team went on to win the state championship at end of last season. I was not ready for that game. It was just too fast for me compared to the girls high school scrimmage that I had worked, as well as a few Catholic middle school games that I had also worked.

This scrimmage policy change was encouraged by our state interscholastic sports governing body. Several sports (field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer) were having problems getting free scrimmage officials, so our state association encouraged all sports officials to charge for scrimmages, assigning games in much the same manner as regular season assignments. Enough free officials showing up for basketball scrimmages was never a problem previous to this policy change. Those of us who wanted to work scrimmages, worked scrimmages, and the problem was never not enough basketball officials working scrimmages, but too many, with four, or five, of us showing up for a two hour scrimmage, only getting to work couple of periods.

Sometimes getting paid isn't always better. There are often unintended consequences.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 03, 2012 at 04:07pm.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 12:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Enough free officials showing up for basketball scrimmages was never a problem previous to this policy change. Those of us who wanted to work, worked, and the problem was never not enough basketball officials working scrimmages, but too many, with four, or five, of us showing up for a two hour scrimmage, only getting to work couple of periods.
Same here. But, I understand and accept the situation. It only lasts a week!

I manage to work games all yr. But others have to wipe the rust off.....just a bit more than me! At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!