The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Definition

#48) During a timeout or before any extra period, the bench area has different dimensions than it does during other times in the game.
a.True
b.False
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to believe its true since the bench area extends to the nearer lane line on TOs & they certainly cant be on the court during live play.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I'd like to believe its true since the bench area extends to the nearer lane line on TOs & they certainly cant be on the court during live play.
reference? (I agree that they can be to the lane line during TO's, I'm just not convinced that it's still called the "bench area" -- especially since the term "bench area" is used in the definition of where the team can be).

and, what happened to SWMOZebra's post?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Books in the car

Recant??
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

the answer is true, bench area in this case is a descriptive term rather than a definition
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Books in the car

Recant??

NCAA Rulebook can be found online. I have the rulebook and casebook on my phone and computer....just in case I have to call my assignor about a jacket getting tossed
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:23pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Section 7. Bench Area

Art. 1. The boundaries of the bench area shall be formed from the outer edge of the sideline and an imaginary line extended from the sideline to the back of the team bench and the 28-foot line (coaching box line).

Art. 2. During any timeout or before any extra period, bench personnel and players shall locate themselves inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line and an imaginary
line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
From reading this, I see that the bench area is extended during timeouts.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
From reading this, I see that the bench area is extended during timeouts.
So, you'd have true. I can see that as being possible.

Another way to read it is that the "TO area" includes the bench area plus some portion of the court. Here, the answer to the test question would be false.

So we all know where the players / teams can be at different points. But, we (or at least I) don't know what they're really asking in the question.

Oh well, there's at least one in every test.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 03:07pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So, you'd have true. I can see that as being possible.

Another way to read it is that the "TO area" includes the bench area plus some portion of the court. Here, the answer to the test question would be false.

So we all know where the players / teams can be at different points. But, we (or at least I) don't know what they're really asking in the question.

Oh well, there's at least one in every test.
The only reason why I would stick with the true answer is that the dimensions as to what the area the team can be in during a timeout is directly under the Section "Bench Area." If they wanted to call it the "TO area," I'm under the assumption that they would have two seperate sections in the book -- Bench Area and TO Area. However, both of these areas fall under "Bench Area" in the book, so I'll read it as that.

Bottom line, when I first read the question, I thought "true." I'll stick with my gut.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
The only reason why I would stick with the true answer is that the dimensions as to what the area the team can be in during a timeout is directly under the Section "Bench Area." If they wanted to call it the "TO area," I'm under the assumption that they would have two seperate sections in the book -- Bench Area and TO Area. However, both of these areas fall under "Bench Area" in the book, so I'll read it as that.

Bottom line, when I first read the question, I thought "true." I'll stick with my gut.
And I'd have false. Art 1 specifically defines the "Bench Area" and uses the term. "The Bench Area shall be formed..." Art 2, which is under the heading of Bench Area, is explaining a time when players are not restricted to the Bench Area, but rather to a larger area, an "imaginary rectangle formed by...". This article is not redefining "bench area".

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

I've got "true"

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

why are you making this so complicated. The rule states BENCH AREA and the 2 definitions of this area.

one definition is what the bench area is during game play and the other definition is what the bench area is during a TO.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
why are you making this so complicated. The rule states BENCH AREA and the 2 definitions of this area.

one definition is what the bench area is during game play and the other definition is what the bench area is during a TO.
That would be a lot clearer if Article 2 contained some phrase akin to "the bench area shall be formed" as they do in Article 1 and did not self-reference the bench area.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

so the omission of the word OR is causing the stress?
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
so the omission of the word OR is causing the stress?
I have no stress over this... ease up, Francis.

The reason it's a concern is that there's a test question on it... and the answer is certainly not clear-cut.

West Houston Mike