The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

What I meant was that the logic that ART 1 and 2 are somehow is very thin at best. The way I read it is that you have two different instances of how the bench area are defined.

It's how a logical data set or rules would be organized. In this case Art 1 and 2 both refer to BENCH AREA as that is the specific header. I would read that as what they are and not think that much more.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
What I meant was that the logic that ART 1 and 2 are somehow is very thin at best. The way I read it is that you have two different instances of how the bench area are defined.

It's how a logical data set or rules would be organized. In this case Art 1 and 2 both refer to BENCH AREA as that is the specific header. I would read that as what they are and not think that much more.
I think the point is that what you just said is a completely reasonable way to look at it, which gives you one answer.

Then there's another completely reasonable way to look at it (Art 1 specifically says "Bench Area"; Art 2 describes the "invisible area" used at certain times... to me, describing a time where the "Bench Area" is not used) which leads to the opposite answer.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I think the point is that what you just said is a completely reasonable way to look at it, which gives you one answer.

Then there's another completely reasonable way to look at it (Art 1 specifically says "Bench Area"; Art 2 describes the "invisible area" used at certain times... to me, describing a time where the "Bench Area" is not used) which leads to the opposite answer.
I think it's also why 5-13(?) doesn't just say "During a TO, a team shall be in its Bench Area" and instead repeats the description of the area.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:48pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think it's also why 5-13(?) doesn't just say "During a TO, a team shall be in its Bench Area" and instead repeats the description of the area.
Quote:
Rule 5, Section 13
Art. 2. During any timeout, bench personnel and players shall locate themselves inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line, and an imaginary line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
Hmm, I see your frustration now, Bob. Thanks for making me second guess myself!

Gotta love how a question such as this makes you scratch your head so much. Once we find out the true answer from the NCAA in a couple of weeks we will never forget it!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Let me try this:

TO is granted. A1 and B1 get in a scuffle 8 feet on the floor directly in front of the A bench. Two A team members get up from their seats and approach the scuffle.

Have they "left the bench area when a fight may break out?" 10-4.8 (NCAAW) or 10-6.1.j (NCAAM)?