The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Definition (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92739-ncaa-definition.html)

bob jenkins Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02am

NCAA Definition

#48) During a timeout or before any extra period, the bench area has different dimensions than it does during other times in the game.
a.True
b.False

tref Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25am

I'd like to believe its true since the bench area extends to the nearer lane line on TOs & they certainly cant be on the court during live play.

bob jenkins Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 859685)
I'd like to believe its true since the bench area extends to the nearer lane line on TOs & they certainly cant be on the court during live play.

reference? (I agree that they can be to the lane line during TO's, I'm just not convinced that it's still called the "bench area" -- especially since the term "bench area" is used in the definition of where the team can be).

and, what happened to SWMOZebra's post?

tref Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32am

Books in the car :(

Recant??

icallfouls Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52am

the answer is true, bench area in this case is a descriptive term rather than a definition

icallfouls Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 859688)
Books in the car :(

Recant??

NCAA Rulebook can be found online. I have the rulebook and casebook on my phone and computer....just in case I have to call my assignor about a jacket getting tossed :D

jeschmit Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23pm

Quote:

Section 7. Bench Area

Art. 1. The boundaries of the bench area shall be formed from the outer edge of the sideline and an imaginary line extended from the sideline to the back of the team bench and the 28-foot line (coaching box line).

Art. 2. During any timeout or before any extra period, bench personnel and players shall locate themselves inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line and an imaginary
line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
From reading this, I see that the bench area is extended during timeouts.

bob jenkins Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 859737)
From reading this, I see that the bench area is extended during timeouts.

So, you'd have true. I can see that as being possible.

Another way to read it is that the "TO area" includes the bench area plus some portion of the court. Here, the answer to the test question would be false.

So we all know where the players / teams can be at different points. But, we (or at least I) don't know what they're really asking in the question.

Oh well, there's at least one in every test.

jeschmit Tue Oct 23, 2012 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 859744)
So, you'd have true. I can see that as being possible.

Another way to read it is that the "TO area" includes the bench area plus some portion of the court. Here, the answer to the test question would be false.

So we all know where the players / teams can be at different points. But, we (or at least I) don't know what they're really asking in the question.

Oh well, there's at least one in every test.

The only reason why I would stick with the true answer is that the dimensions as to what the area the team can be in during a timeout is directly under the Section "Bench Area." If they wanted to call it the "TO area," I'm under the assumption that they would have two seperate sections in the book -- Bench Area and TO Area. However, both of these areas fall under "Bench Area" in the book, so I'll read it as that.

Bottom line, when I first read the question, I thought "true." I'll stick with my gut.

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 23, 2012 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 859781)
The only reason why I would stick with the true answer is that the dimensions as to what the area the team can be in during a timeout is directly under the Section "Bench Area." If they wanted to call it the "TO area," I'm under the assumption that they would have two seperate sections in the book -- Bench Area and TO Area. However, both of these areas fall under "Bench Area" in the book, so I'll read it as that.

Bottom line, when I first read the question, I thought "true." I'll stick with my gut.

And I'd have false. Art 1 specifically defines the "Bench Area" and uses the term. "The Bench Area shall be formed..." Art 2, which is under the heading of Bench Area, is explaining a time when players are not restricted to the Bench Area, but rather to a larger area, an "imaginary rectangle formed by...". This article is not redefining "bench area".

jdmara Wed Oct 24, 2012 07:04am

I've got "true"

-Josh

deecee Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55am

why are you making this so complicated. The rule states BENCH AREA and the 2 definitions of this area.

one definition is what the bench area is during game play and the other definition is what the bench area is during a TO.

bob jenkins Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 859909)
why are you making this so complicated. The rule states BENCH AREA and the 2 definitions of this area.

one definition is what the bench area is during game play and the other definition is what the bench area is during a TO.

That would be a lot clearer if Article 2 contained some phrase akin to "the bench area shall be formed" as they do in Article 1 and did not self-reference the bench area.

deecee Wed Oct 24, 2012 01:01pm

so the omission of the word OR is causing the stress?

MD Longhorn Wed Oct 24, 2012 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 859930)
so the omission of the word OR is causing the stress?

I have no stress over this... ease up, Francis. :)

The reason it's a concern is that there's a test question on it... and the answer is certainly not clear-cut.