The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 04:43pm
Lighten up, Francis.

The stupidity goes on

I just heard a discussion of a T that Lebron received for flopping. The panelists all agreed that it was a bad T (it was, in fact, rescinded later). But Colin Cowherd just said, "You can't give flopping a T. At least, know the rulebook!"
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 06:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm going to start labeling the slots in my toolbox, naming them after ESPN commentary guys.

Cowherd is first.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I just heard a discussion of a T that Lebron received for flopping. The panelists all agreed that it was a bad T (it was, in fact, rescinded later). But Colin Cowherd just said, "You can't give flopping a T. At least, know the rulebook!"
I've never seen a T handed out for an embellishment in an NBA game...ever. So I'd like to see the play at hand as it was likely for something else.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Wed Oct 24, 2012 at 08:44pm.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Video clip is in the story:

LeBron James hit with bizarre technical foul against Charlotte Bobcats - NBA - Sporting News
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

First off, good call from David Jones at the lead. Second, I'm not sure what slot official Marat Kogut saw that warranted a T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post

First off, good call from David Jones at the lead. Second, I'm not sure what slot official Marat Kogut saw that warranted a T.
From his angle, could Marat have considered the left arm swing as an attempted punch?

It's all I've got.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 05:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I like the new flopping T. The T may have been for embellishing contact (which in my mind is different from flopping). If that's what it is for, I would pass on it, but I can see the league wanting a very tight interpretation in the pre-season.

The pre-season is a good time to get a bunch on video sent to all the officials with calls and non-calls made to clear the air about interps of a new rule.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I like the new flopping T. The T may have been for embellishing contact (which in my mind is different from flopping). If that's what it is for, I would pass on it, but I can see the league wanting a very tight interpretation in the pre-season.

The pre-season is a good time to get a bunch on video sent to all the officials with calls and non-calls made to clear the air about interps of a new rule.
Except as far as I know, there's no such thing as a technical foul for embellishing. The new anti flopping measures are all post game done by the league. Otherwise plays are either no calls or a foul if the player is not in a legal position.

FYI, this T was rescinded by the NBA.

Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Except as far as I know, there's no such thing as a technical foul for embellishing. The new anti flopping measures are all post game done by the league. Otherwise plays are either no calls or a foul if the player is not in a legal position.

FYI, this T was rescinded by the NBA.
What does a rescinded T mean? Does it mean that the point from the made FT is taken off the final score? Does it mean that the shooter's FT% goes from x/y to (x-1)/(y-1)? Or does it means that a league person interjects before it is reported? Or does it mean that since they deem it to be an incorrect call, that no further sanctions will be done? Was the HC's T rescinded as well?

Interesting that the measures are post-game.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2012, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

As players have to pay fines and face suspension if they reach a certain threshold, the NBA reviews all technical fouls. After post game review and getting their reports from the officials, if a T isn't warranted, the league will rescind the T as far as it counts toward fines and suspensions. The same thing happens with flagrant fouls were fouls can be upgraded or downgraded.

As far as statistics go, the point will still stand...and no, you're not going to have someone from league offices interject during the game. As far as the HC's T, I doubt it was rescinded. It looked like he earned his T.

Last edited by APG; Thu Oct 25, 2012 at 09:00am.