The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Digital Rulebook And Casebook ...

Back in August, I sent a check for $35.00 to my state interscholastic spots governing body to cover the extension of my membership in the NFHS Officials Association. A few nights ago, I received my paper NFHS rulebook and casebook, as part of my IAABO "packet".

The problem is, I do not have access to a digital 2012-13 NFHS rulebook, or casebook. Every time I post a citation on the Forum I will have to type the entire citation, word for word, on my keyboard, and I'm not a very good typist.

Connecticut is a 100% IAABO basketball state, and, as such, basketball officials in the Land of Steady Habits do not belong to the NFHS Officials Association. Also, Connecticut is a state where, in order to become a NFHS Officials Association member, all officials of that sport must join, or none may join, thus, there are no individual members.

For the past several years, in order to gain access to the NFHS online basketball rulebook, and casebook, I've joined the NFHS Officials Association through my state interscholastic sports governing body I send them a check every year, and they put my name on the volleyball official's roster, even though I am not a volleyball official, giving me a working NFHS username, and password, allowing me access to all NFHS online rulebooks, and casebooks, specifically, basketball.

This has worked great, until last year. The NFHS partnered with ArbiterSports to provide members of the NFHS Officials Association with exclusive online benefits through the NFHS Central Hub.

I paid my dues to join the NFHS Officials Association, I have a working username, and password, but I am not a volleyball official, and my name is not on the Connecticut Arbiter volleyball roster, thus, I no longer had access to NFHS online rulebooks, and casebooks, basketball, or otherwise. I do have an Arbiter account, but it is for basketball, and as stated earlier, basketball officials in this state do not belong to the NFHS Officials Association.

Last year some very kind Forum members, who did have access to the ArbiterSports NFHS Central Hub, offered to email me PDF files of the NFHS rulebook, and casebook, so I was able to access these resources when posting on the Forum. I would tell you who those very kind Forum members were, but then I'd have to kill you.

I now understand that then NFHS is no longer making these PDF resources available to anyone, members, or nonmembers. I also understand that the NFHS is making these resources available to the public as applications on smartphones.

I don't own a smartphone. I just barely use my stupidphone. I wouldn't know an "app" if it punched me in the face. Even if I did own a smartphone, would this allow me access to the NFHS rulebook, and casebook, for use on my personal computer, or laptop, where I spend all of my time perusing, and responding to, the Forum?

Does this mean that I, and others like me, who have legal access to paper NFHS rulebooks and casebooks, and who have NFHS membership, will no longer have the ability to copy and paste (digitally speaking) citations into Forum threads, and posts?

What is a Forum member to do? Will somebody, who has the time, have to scan every page of the rulebook, and casebook, and digitally convert them into some type of digital document? There has to be a better way. Anybody have any ideas? If you do, either post them in this thread, or send me an Official Forum private message, and I will send you my real email address. Keep in mind that I have paid my NFHS Officials Association dues for the upcoming season, so I'm not looking for a free lunch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 09:09am.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

If an app punched you in the face you would surely know about it.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 01:24pm
This IS My Social Life

Here's an Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There has to be a better way. Anybody have any ideas?
Move to another state. Throw off those IAABO shackles and bask in the freedom of independence where NFHS downloads flow freely and you don't have to bear with your frustration any longer.
Move here and I've got a drain-cleaning business you could buy just to keep you in touch with what you work with now.
And if you really want to do volleyball, I can get you in with those who do.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 03:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Plumber's Helper ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Move to another state. Throw off those IAABO shackles and bask in the freedom of independence where NFHS downloads flow freely and you don't have to bear with your frustration any longer.
This was an obstacle in the past, and still is, but I believe that there's still an obstacle that doesn't involve the IAABO NFHS Arbiter dilemma. I understand that the NFHS is no longer making PDF resources from their website, or the Arbiter website, available to anyone, members, or nonmembers. I also understand that the NFHS is making these resources available to the public as applications on smartphones. I don't own a smartphone. Even if I did own a smartphone, would this allow me access to the NFHS rulebook, and casebook, allowing me to copy and paste rules, and casebook plays, on my personal computer, or laptop, where I spend all of my time perusing, and responding to, the Forum?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 21, 2012 at 09:10am.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2012, 03:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Ladder Of Success ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If you really want to do volleyball, I can get you in with those who do.
I don't know if I'm in good enough shape to officiate volleyball? Don't you have to be in tip top shape to climb up that ladder at the beginning of the match? And then climb back down the ladder at the end of the match? I'm in good enough shape to put in the equivalent of a three mile cardiovascular run during a high school varsity basketball game, but I don't have to do any climbing in a basketball game. And all of that standing around once I'm up the ladder? That can't be good for my arches? Wouldn't I have to somehow strengthen my arches to be able to do all that standing around?

Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Could you register with another state that provides the NFHS dues? MN does that. You may have to take the MN tests, but you are already doing that, so just a matter of copying answers. All our testing is online.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
Could you register with another state that provides the NFHS dues?
That was the problem a few years ago. Now the main problem is that these NFHS online resources are no longer available online for anybody, members, or nonmembers. I understand that the NFHS is making these resources available to the public as applications on smartphones. I don't own a smartphone. Even if I did own a smartphone, would this allow me access to the NFHS rulebook, and casebook, allowing me to copy and paste rules, and casebook plays, on my personal computer, or laptop, where I spend all of my time on the Forum?

Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did you try contacting the Fed?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:41pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Did you try contacting the Fed?
This is what I would do. My NFHS membership was through basketball membership. I don't access the NFHS through the state portal but through NFHS' own Arbiter site.

Billy, see if you can sign into Arbiter on this site:

http://nfhs.arbitersports.com
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is time to get with the current times. If Newsweek can stop paper publications and go to smartphones or tablets, so can you.

I am not saying this is the most ideal situation at this time, but that is the way the world is going. And considering that PDF files can be transferred much easier than those on other formats and not be paid for, time to get with that reality.

And yes if you are listed as a volleyball ref, then you need to talk to someone at the NF, not complain about it to people that cannot help you.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
I just logged into the Arbiter site, and got to the rulebooks no issues. Click on the link provided by Welpe, click on the Basketball link on the right hand side, then publications at the top.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
I just logged into the Arbiter site, and got to the rulebooks no issues. Click on the link provided by Welpe, click on the Basketball link on the right hand side, then publications at the top.
Arbiter asked for my email address, and my password. I gave them both, and this is what I got: "This content is available only to registered members of NFHS Basketball".

Remember, Connecticut basketball officials do not belong to the NFHS, nor do they belong to the NFHS Officials Association. I only belong to the NFHS Officials Association as a "pretend" volleyball official, a "pretend" volleyball official who isn't listed on any Arbiter list as a "real" volleyball official.

Keep trying guys.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 06:21pm.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm All Thumbs ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is time to get with the current times.
Good point. For argument sake, let's say that I do decide to purchase a smartphone. Let's also say that I get the NFHS application that lets me see NFHS basketball rulebooks, and casebooks, on my smartphone. Can I then transfer these digital files to my personal computer, where I spend all my Forum time. I have enough trouble typing on the small keys when I occasionally use my laptop, there's no way that I intend to log on to the Forum with those little keys on a smartphone. My thumbs are way too big.

Also, as a "pretend" NFHS volleyball official, who isn't listed on any Arbiter list as a "real" volleyball official, would I have access to the NFHS basketball smartphone applications?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 22, 2012 at 06:26pm.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Billy, you seriously might want to contact the NFHS before spending the money that a data plan would cost you even if you got a "free" smart phone.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2012, 06:34pm
This IS My Social Life

Luddite Solution to Foot-Sized Thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have enough trouble typing on the small keys when I occasionally use my laptop... My thumbs are way too big.
How 'bout you just "type" (i.e., input, key in, etc., for those in the current century) the rule/casebook reference and all of us who have what you don't have can just look up the citation you're talking about? It can be like our own little secret code. Of course, that might not be a benefit for any table officials who might be lurking.