The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   WNBA: Jacket Removal and Toss (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92700-wnba-jacket-removal-toss.html)

Rich Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 859239)
Nope. Im saying that a whistle looks justified with the benefit of slow mo and replay. Camera had a beautiful angle. The coach certainly had a case against the no-call so I'd cut her some slack on the response.

It's not justified. The post above explains why it wasn't a foul.

On another note, I've cleaned up the thread. Before anyone calls anyone an idiot again, please note that we'll delete those types of posts. They don't do anything for this board.

Camron Rust Sat Oct 20, 2012 02:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 859180)
I don't think that warrants a second technical. Official absolutely blew the call in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 859181)
Blew what call? The one where the defender put her hand on top of the ball and caused a turnover?

The call was missed. This isn't even close.

The defender may have touched the ball at the beginning but when the shooter tried to take the ball up, the only contact from the defender was across the shooter's forearm and not on the ball at all any more. The defender didn't stop the movement of the ball, they stopped the movement of the arm.

If the hand had also remained on the ball AND the arm while the shooter was going up, I could agree with no foul, but the defender was only holding down the arm.

Maineac Sat Oct 20, 2012 03:17am

Quote:

Dunn said she thought Reeve should have been ejected because the wildest part of the tantrum came after the technical.

"I guess the thing that concerns me is that after she got her first technical, then she proceeded to take her jacket off, throw her jacket," Dunn said. "In my opinion, that should have been reason for a second technical and removal, and they (the officials) did not do that, and of course, she was able to incite the crowd.

"There's no doubt in my mind that her behavior after the first technical warranted ejection, and I was very disappointed that the officials allowed her to in some ways, you know, just kind of a lack of respect for the game and lack of respect for them. I was disappointed in the whole affair."

"Unless, of course, it was I who did this. In that case this wouldn't have been a problem and I would see this as just getting a "T" to fire up my team," said the other coach....

Bad Zebra Sat Oct 20, 2012 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 859247)
... Before anyone calls anyone an idiot again.....

:confused:

Bad Zebra Sat Oct 20, 2012 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 859251)

The defender may have touched the ball at the beginning but when the shooter tried to take the ball up, the only contact from the defender was across the shooter's forearm and not on the ball at all any more. The defender didn't stop the movement of the ball, they stopped the movement of the arm.

If the hand had also remained on the ball AND the arm while the shooter was going up, I could agree with no foul, but the defender was only holding down the arm.

This is exactly how I view it and based on that, I'm giving the coach a little leeway. She absolutely should be rung up based on her initial response, but I'd be hesitant to ring up a second T and toss her. IMHO, she had a valid gripe initially.

BillyMac Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:13am

The Wrist Is Part Of The Ball ??? In Who's World ???

Quote:

The call was missed. This isn't even close. The defender may have touched the ball at the beginning but when the shooter tried to take the ball up, the only contact from the defender was across the shooter's forearm and not on the ball at all any more. The defender didn't stop the movement of the ball, they stopped the movement of the arm.

I am also charging a foul on this play.

deecee Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 859268)
I am also charging a foul on this play.

How much would you charge for this foul?

BillyMac Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:27am

Lets' Bring Two Threads Together ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 859269)
How much would you charge for this foul?

Not sure, haven't checked the 2012-13 price list. But I do know that there would be a 7% assignment fee.

JRutledge Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:33am

Quote:

So let me get this straight. You are going to call a foul on a defender that clearly contacted the ball first or mostly the ball, but had some contact with an arm at some point in the process of the play?

Peace

BillyMac Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44am

Hyperbole Is The Word Of The Day On My Word Of The Day Calendar ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 859275)
So let me get this straight. You are going to call a foul on a defender that clearly contacted the ball first or mostly the ball, but had some contact with an arm at some point in the process of the play?

Some? She almost tore her arm out of it's socket. Wait? Almost? No. She actually did tear her arm out of it's socket, and then waved the detatched arm around to show the crowd. Yeah. That's better.

Camron Rust Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 859275)

Peace

Yes. Contacting the ball first doesn't grant the right to the defender to hold down the arm of the shooter (actually pull the shooters arm off the ball) after contacting the ball. She didn't just have "some contact" on the arm. That is the primary contact, not the earlier ball contact.

If the initial ball contact had knocked the ball free, then the arm contact would be incidental, but it didn't. Since the shooter maintained control of the ball after the ball contact and was able to start a shot that was only stopped due to the arm contact, it can't be anything but a foul.

Raymond Sat Oct 20, 2012 05:46pm

Quote:

The No-call was absolutely correct. I wouldn't even think twice about it, neither would any of the supervisors I work for.

Camron Rust Sat Oct 20, 2012 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 859311)
The No-call was absolutely correct. I wouldn't even think twice about it, neither would any of the supervisors I work for.

So, your supervisors like to allow the defender to pull the shooter's hand off the ball by hold onto their arm? Really?

JRutledge Sat Oct 20, 2012 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 859277)
Some? She almost tore her arm out of it's socket. Wait? Almost? No. She actually did tear her arm out of it's socket. Yeah. That's better.

If that is the case, why did the player not fall? That is some kind of contact to stay on your feet. Again the rules give the defender the same right to the ball. I see more contact on held ball situations than that play.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Oct 20, 2012 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 859311)

Not only that, as a state clinician I would love to praise an official that did not call that a foul.

To call that is at best a high school call. Any contact, call the foul no matter how the contact took place. ;)

Peace