The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   WNBA: Jacket Removal and Toss (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92700-wnba-jacket-removal-toss.html)

APG Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 859121)
HS / NCAA - yes

WNBA - no (especially if it is female )....now you think I'm kidding listen to this.

I don't think that it earns a T at the NBA level either

Quote:

In the NCAA - W handouts ( I work men's but saw this at a small college clinic), I guess bench decorum is a POE. Well the picture of a coach coaching on the court is a WOMAN ( no technical), but the picturre of a coach
screaming/ being demonstrative ont he court is a MAN.....you don't think the rules committee did that on purpose ?????

Makes you wanna go hmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!
No

Rich Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:34am

WNBA fines Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve for coat throw in Finals' Game 2 - ESPN

Multiple Sports Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 859131)
I don't think that it earns a T at the NBA level either

No

Don't be so nieve my friend.......if the Women's Committe could come up with 96 women officials they would do it in a heartbeat......

I have seen letters from more than one state asking assigners for minorities and women to work state tournaments, you really don't think the NCAA -W Committee feels the same way ??????

APG Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 859135)
Don't be so nieve my friend.......if the Women's Committe could come up with 96 women officials they would do it in a heartbeat......

I have seen letters from more than one state asking assigners for minorities and women to work state tournaments, you really don't think the NCAA -W Committee feels the same way ??????

I'm only addressing your point that there's some nefarious reason behind the gender of a faceless picture addressing bench decorum.

Multiple Sports Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 859137)
I'm only addressing your point that there's some nefarious reason behind the gender of a faceless picture addressing bench decorum.

Fair enough my friend.......

Raymond Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 859106)
I expect emotional responses to Ts and I don't want to pile on. If the jacket was slammed to the floor or launched across the floor, I'd think differently.

Why do expect emotional responses to a 'T'? Both the player and the coach got T'd on a play that the official absolutely got right. So after being T'd for inappropriate behavior they should be allotted more inappropriate behavior?

Eastshire Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 859149)
Why do expect emotional responses to a 'T'? Both the player and the coach got T'd on a play that the official absolutely got right. So after being T'd for inappropriate behavior they should be allotted more inappropriate behavior?

They are already acting irrationally. Irrational people confronted with that irrationality are going to react with more irrationality.

Do you really expect them to suddenly become calm?

tref Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 859153)
They are already acting irrationally. Irrational people confronted with that irrationality are going to react with more irrationality.

If they know the 2nd T is coming (maybe not calm but more self control) Id say yes.
If they know they can get away with it, obviously not.

Adam Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Yes, yes I do.

Remarkably, they usually do.

Raymond Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35pm

Quote:

I've only ever had 1 coach who didn't immediately turn it down after getting hit with a Tech, so the norm for me is that they are more than capable of suddenly becoming calm.

That 1 coach I speak of received a 2nd T for his actions.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:54pm

For the Jacket, no. For other stuff (yelling along with it), perhaps. Just not for removing the jacket and throwing it to her bench/seat.

Eastshire Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 859159)
I've only ever had 1 coach who didn't immediately turn it down after getting hit with a Tech, so the norm for me is that they are more than capable of suddenly becoming calm.

That 1 coach I speak of received a 2nd T for his actions.

Sounds like it's one of those things that vary with locations then.

zm1283 Fri Oct 19, 2012 01:11pm

In high school, this would earn a second technical from me.

I don't know about the college level or professional basketball. Just from watching D1 basketball, coaches often get away with murder and officials don't penalize them, so I have my doubts that a lot of D1 men's officials would penalize the jacket toss. Now if it were accompanied by yelling and other demonstrative behavior, then I could see another technical.

Adam Fri Oct 19, 2012 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 859169)
Sounds like it's one of those things that vary with locations then.

It probably varies with enforcement. I've only had to issue a second T one time, in a summer travel game to an assistant coach.

Even this week I had a pretty emotional coach get a T, but he sat right down. If amateur coaches are capable of controling their emotions, the professionals can do it, too.

REFANDUMP Fri Oct 19, 2012 01:49pm

I don't think that warrants a second technical. Official absolutely blew the call in my opinion.