The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Does your association/assignor charge schools/referees

Does your association or assignor charge the schools for the games they assign or charge the referees anything or do they do it for free? If they do charge anyone how much do they charge and does the money go to the association or the assignor or some of both?
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've officiated in a few states/locations and I've only known assignors to charge referees an assingor's fee ... that goes to them.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of the larger school districts in this area (Denver Metro) have employees do the assigning, so it's part of their normal day to day assignments. I would imagine that the schools pay the others something, but I don't know for certain.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Here on the peninsula of Hampton Roads the assignors charge the schools a flat fee annually to schedule their games (I believe it's in the $50-100 range) and take 8% of each officials game fee.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

We are assigned only by conference assignors. So the school hire the assignor that do not have to have affiliation to any association. Bottom line, the assignors hire who they want to from any association. Associations are not assigning bodies around here.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:42pm
Esteemed Participant

Our assignors charge us 10% of our game fee (not mileage)...the company that does the billing of schools and pays us our checks charges the schools 13% of the officials fees (not mileage).
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

our local association charges us an annual fee of $75, the majority of which goes to the member that has agreed to take on the assignor duties. I think he gets paid several thousand bucks to do it.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb1971 View Post
A couple of the larger school districts in this area (Denver Metro) have employees do the assigning, so it's part of their normal day to day assignments. I would imagine that the schools pay the others something, but I don't know for certain.
Hmm. I thought every school in Colorado had to go through an assigner.

Interesting.

My experience here is that all assigner fees are paid by the school unseen by the officials.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Here on the peninsula of Hampton Roads the assignors charge the schools a flat fee annually to schedule their games (I believe it's in the $50-100 range) and take 8% of each officials game fee.
Oh yeah, we pay the association a $40 registration fee also.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Hmm. I thought every school in Colorado had to go through an assigner.

Interesting.

My experience here is that all assigner fees are paid by the school unseen by the officials.
Adam, I'm thinking of DPS and JeffCo. I could be wrong about that, but I thought that the folks that did the assigning for those games are district employees.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Here in Texas it is against the UIL constitution for schools to pay an assigning fee. Any assignment fees need to be collected from the officials. We pay $1.25 per subvarsity basketball game that goes directly to the assigner. I believe varsity is $3 but I'm not sure. Our chapter bills twice a year for assigner's fees.

In addition to that we pay state association dues and local chapter dues.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Here in Texas it is against the UIL constitution for schools to pay an assigning fee. Any assignment fees need to be collected from the officials. We pay $1.25 per subvarsity basketball game that goes directly to the assigner. I believe varsity is $3 but I'm not sure. Our chapter bills twice a year for assigner's fees.

In addition to that we pay state association dues and local chapter dues.
I've never seen a state that seems to hold its officials in as little regard as Texas does.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

We are the unpleasant odor that follows the automobile to paraphrase Christy Mathewson.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Assigning is a big job and takes a lot of time. Very few do it for free.

How they get paid is done in may ways. Ultimately, they all come out the same.

Regardless of the specific paths the money takes, the school will be paying a certain amount for getting their games officiated. The officials will get a certain amount. The assignor will get a certain amount. Whether the assignors amount comes directly form the schools or from the schools by way of the officials (or both avenues), it doesn't really change things. The assignor deserves to make money off their efforts just as much as the officials make money off their part of the effort.

Of course, the specific amounts assignors make may vary and the total they get can certainly be argued but that doesn't change the fact that the route the money takes is irrelevant.

Our assignor, who assigns about 7,000 games gets a flat fee from the schools for each team's schedule ($25/team, IIRC) and gets 5% from each officials game fees. It make for a pretty nice income but is certainly earned.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2012, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

My assignor double dips collecting fees from schools and refs, then charges us an additional arbiter fee. In fact this summer I paid for a clinic only to find out the schools paid the assignor for the refs. Double dipped again .......