The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

association kowtowing to the schools

anyone else have games assigned like this:

given a game that is about 25 miles from your home city. game is at 7:30 with jv at 6. One varsity guy is given $25 extra and it then becomes his job to make sure all four officials (jv and varsity) get to the site, driving them there. That means all the officials are supposed to arrive at 5:30, or whatever, in time for the jv game. varsity guys then get to sit through entire jv. To me, this is just another example of our association being completely screwed over by the schools. No way am I taking a varsity game where I am expected to show up 2 hours early and all I get is an extra $25 if I am the driver and nothing extra if I am not the driver.

any comments on this; anyone do it the same way? I feel like Boise is still in the referee dark ages

please no comments about how you ref for the love of the game and for the kids and would do it for free and I should stop whining because you used to get paid only $10 bla bla bla
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 01:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We do it similar here. My first varsity game in this association was about a 90 minute drive. I was the driver, and there were 5 of us total for two JV games and two varsity games. 4 of us each worked two JV games simultaneously and the 5th guy waited. After the JV games, my JV partner and I worked with the 5th guy in the varsity girls game. The other two JV guys worked the boys varsity game with the same 5th guy.

I got mileage on top of my check for the JV/V games. We aren't required to ride with the driver, though, as my JV partner drove himself to the games and left after the V girls game. But, only one guy is getting mileage.

Other schools that are closer (45 miles or so) will pay one person on each crew (2 or 3 depending on level) mileage.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:09am
Official Forum Member

Each official for each game is paid their own mileage around here....at the rate of about 44cent/mile 1-way.

I think it is silly and downright cheap to pay two crews 1 mileage and expect them to ride togehter and wait through the other crew's game (assuming the games are not at the same time in different gyms)....at least without paying them extra for waiting and extra 1.5 hours.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

I think in both cases it is absolutely ridiculous. If mileage is going to be paid, it should be paid to each official, or at the very least on a per game basis (as in each crew on each assigned game gets mileage). To force someone to arrive at least a game early or to have to stay at least a game after just to receive mileage is wrong in my opinion. That's extra time away from job/family, and in my opinion, just serves to prevent people from getting into officiating. I travel long distances to work games, and only take mileage as a deduction (don't get paid for it), but only because I have chosen to join another group, since it's my choice, and I have a number of schools and options to choose from, I don't complain. But if the 90 minute drive is the only game in town, I think that the policy is borderline disrespectful to the officials who are making a big personal sacrifice to work the game, and it's unprofessional in that it doesn't serve the game.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:36am
Official & Member

The only time we get the "1-person mileage" nonsense is during post season. And oddly enough, the assigning (and paying) body is the State Association. Guess the bureaucrats hate having to multiply more than once a game.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

We don't do 1-person mileage around here. We're on the 0-person mileage system.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball

given a game that is about 25 miles from your home city. game is at 7:30 with jv at 6. One varsity guy is given $25 extra and it then becomes his job to make sure all four officials (jv and varsity) get to the site, driving them there. That means all the officials are supposed to arrive at 5:30, or whatever, in time for the jv game. varsity guys then get to sit through entire jv. To me, this is just another example of our association being completely screwed over by the schools. No way am I taking a varsity game where I am expected to show up 2 hours early and all I get is an extra $25 if I am the driver and nothing extra if I am not the driver.
Sounds like $5 per official, correct? 2 officials in JV game, 3 officials in V game. I call the JV officials, tell them to their a$$es to their game on time, then when I get there give them $10 to split among themselves. That leaves $15 for the Varsity crew, which I would keep if I drove the crew.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine it is very convenient for everyone to ride together. The five of us (3V, 2JV) on a typical night, all leave for the game from miles apart. Probably no one is any closer to someone else than 10-15 miles, to as much as 40 or 50.

I don't have a problem with the extra time at the site. When I work JV, I always stick around for the next game anyhow, and the Varsity crew is there 90% of the time for the JV game. I've heard that the assn. asks them to be there. There is no extra pay for it.

It is nice to have them around for evaluation/assistance and for discussing game situations. It is also good in case your partner is a no show. One of them can step in and get to work early.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

In Montana we get one mileage for two games. More than two games, there are two mileages. More often games are scheduled freshman and JV is one crew, Varsity is another; so two mileages. Smaller schools may only have two squads and generally if the other officials don't or can't make it they give something to the driver. Usually the more inexperienced are working the early games and the Varsity officials can "evaluate" them on an informal basis.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started, my assn. had what they called a "jumper" system where the varsity officials would be assigned 3 (9, JV, V) games for one night starting at 4:30. They would sign in and take payment for all three games. They would find a younger official to fill their first 2 games, and then pay them either in cash or with a personal check. Usually, the fee would be about the same every game and the varsity officials would usually work with the same guys all year long.

The system worked well, in my view, as the varsity officials would watch at least a half of the JV game, then critique the younger officials. Whatever milage arrangements were done were based on private agreement, as any milage paid by the school district was paid to the V officials.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

This whole situation is dependent upon the strength and willpower of the leaders of the association standing up to school administrators in the negotiation of the contracts.

Personally, I have a hard time telling people that A) they have to go to a game early and watch due to car pooling requirements and B) that they are going to be paid a travel rate less then the standard IRS Mileage rates.

If you don't like the way things are done in your area, you need to either step up and help as a member of the board in your association, offer suggestions for change, sit there quietly and take what you get, or find something else to do in your free time.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes

Personally, I have a hard time telling people that [...snip...] B) that they are going to be paid a travel rate less then the standard IRS Mileage rates.
Mileage pay is highly variable. Some places may just pay more per game and no mileage to avoid the minor extra comlexity in calculating pay based on miles (I know it's not hard, but it is work). Some may pay one mileage rate per game and expect the officials to split it and work out the travel.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
This whole situation is dependent upon the strength and willpower of the leaders of the association standing up to school administrators in the negotiation of the contracts.

Personally, I have a hard time telling people that A) they have to go to a game early and watch due to car pooling requirements and B) that they are going to be paid a travel rate less then the standard IRS Mileage rates.

If you don't like the way things are done in your area, you need to either step up and help as a member of the board in your association, offer suggestions for change, sit there quietly and take what you get, or find something else to do in your free time.
Boisebball is new to the association. I'm not a ref, but I would think, knowing people and office politics in general, that would play a big part in his ability to change anything.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball

any comments on this; anyone do it the same way? I feel like Boise is still in the referee dark ages

please no comments about how you ref for the love of the game and for the kids and would do it for free and I should stop whining because you used to get paid only $10 bla bla bla
It's 25 miles = less than 30 minutes, and a gallon or two of gas. Why in the world would you even consider riding and staying?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

First off, driving together makes for a very good pregame...something many officials spend too little time on as it is...so that is a bonus.

Second, part of our jobs as veteran officials is to mentor our less experienced members, so IMO, you should be watching a large part of that JV game anyway, and they in turn should be watching yours...riding together, bonding, pre-gaming, talking about interesting plays, watching each other work, and breaking down the games on the ride home is a great way to strengthen your association.

So what were you complaining about again?