The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:09am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Reviewing Case Book

I received the 2012-13 NFHS Rules and Case Book.

For a new official -- such as myself -- are there any specific sections or topics in the Case Book that should be given more focus (such as fighting penalties, traveling/pivot foot, replacing injured players, etc.)?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Read the entire case book one time through.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 01:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Think of rules you are not sure and read those situation. But reading it through once is not a terribly bad idea.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 06:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Read Any Good Books Lately ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Read the entire case book one time through.
... and then go back and read Rule 4 (Definitions) again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 07:48am
This IS My Social Life

Another Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
...NFHS Rules and Case Book...
Another way is to consider the relationship between the two. Some think of the Rules Book as stating the principles of the game, the Case Book expanding on those principles and giving application to the rules.
With that in mind, another approach is this: Study Rule 4, Definitions, first from the Rule Book section by section, highlighting what seems to be especially significant to you. After reaching an understanding of each section, 4-1-1, for instance; then refer to the corresponding reference in the Case Book (if there is one), 4.1.1, for instance.
Master an understanding of both principle and application(s), working your way through Rule 4, Definitions. Then proceed the same way through Violations, Fouls, etc.
An advantage with this method is that understanding is achieved topic by topic. Otherwise things can sometimes, for some (like me!), get kinda scattered with less understanding achieved.
That's another way.

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 03:30pm.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:24pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Thanks, everyone, for all the insight.

Freddy: What you posted actually makes a lot of sense to me. I recently took Business Law I & II at a local college and the instructor presented the concepts in terms of General Rules and Exceptions (shades of a rule book?). Our quizzes asked us to apply the rules to given scenarios (a la the case book?).

So to study both together seems like a logical approach.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would suggest you buy two books that will help you big time.

Rules By Topic: A book that integrates the rulebook and the casebook and puts them in the same section for review.

Simplified and Illustrated: A book that will give you many interpretations with pictures. Usually this is a good tool to help you visualize what the rules do not easily explain.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:55pm
This IS My Social Life

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would suggest you buy two books that will help you big time.

Rules By Topic: A book that integrates the rulebook and the casebook and puts them in the same section for review.

Simplified and Illustrated: A book that will give you many interpretations with pictures. Usually this is a good tool to help you visualize what the rules do not easily explain.

Peace
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
What Rut said.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Betty Or Veronica ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would suggest you buy two books that will help you big time. Rules By Topic: A book that integrates the rulebook and the casebook and puts them in the same section for review. Simplified and Illustrated: A book that will give you many interpretations with pictures. Usually this is a good tool to help you visualize what the rules do not easily explain.
Excellent advice. Do it. Today. Right now.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 10:34pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Another way is to consider the relationship between the two. Some think of the Rules Book as stating the principles of the game, the Case Book expanding on those principles and giving application to the rules.
With that in mind, another approach is this: Study Rule 4, Definitions, first from the Rule Book section by section, highlighting what seems to be especially significant to you. After reaching an understanding of each section, 4-1-1, for instance; then refer to the corresponding reference in the Case Book (if there is one), 4.1.1, for instance.
Master an understanding of both principle and application(s), working your way through Rule 4, Definitions. Then proceed the same way through Violations, Fouls, etc.
An advantage with this method is that understanding is achieved topic by topic. Otherwise things can sometimes, for some (like me!), get kinda scattered with less understanding achieved.
That's another way.
This is how I use/read the Case Book (although I don't work HS ball, but it still works with the NCAA case book to a point).

I think that this is the best way to learn the rules as you can read which case plays are in regards to certain rules. It helps me think of the rules in a real situation and how to adjudicate them.