The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Blood and free throws

Just saw this incident recently and it got me to thinking. Player A receives a pass underneath the basket and player B who is behind player A fouls player A so hard he gets knocked down hard to the ground landing on his front with his elbow contacting the court hard enough to cause bleeding. The foul would definitely qualify for an intentional foul and potentially a flagrant.

First thought about the flagrant... What would be the correct mechanics in reporting this if calling a flagrant personal foul? Do I signal the X and then when I report speak to coach and inform him that player B has been disqualified due to the flagrant personal foul? Do I inform the player at the spot that he has committed a flagrant personal foul? Is this the type of foul where you would sell the call at the spot? Does anyone use the baseball ump ‘your outa here’ signal?

Second, about the blood. I believe in this situation, I would give player A as much time and medical help as is needed to stop the bleeding so that he could shoot the free throws. Would this be correct by rule?
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 07:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Just saw this incident recently and it got me to thinking. Player A receives a pass underneath the basket and player B who is behind player A fouls player A so hard he gets knocked down hard to the ground landing on his front with his elbow contacting the court hard enough to cause bleeding. The foul would definitely qualify for an intentional foul and potentially a flagrant.

First thought about the flagrant... What would be the correct mechanics in reporting this if calling a flagrant personal foul? Do I signal the X and then when I report speak to coach and inform him that player B has been disqualified due to the flagrant personal foul? Do I inform the player at the spot that he has committed a flagrant personal foul? Is this the type of foul where you would sell the call at the spot? Does anyone use the baseball ump ‘your outa here’ signal?

Second, about the blood. I believe in this situation, I would give player A as much time and medical help as is needed to stop the bleeding so that he could shoot the free throws. Would this be correct by rule?
If you are calling a flagrant personal foul, you would never signal the X. X is for an intentional foul, not a personal foul. And there is no signal for an ejection, other than to verbalize it.

I would verbalize flagrant foul at the spot, and I wouldn't necessarily directly tell the player being ejected that s/he's gone. When reporting the foul to the table, I would report a flagrant foul and that the player is disqualified from further participation in that game.

I can't think of a rule that allows us for the foulee to be treated for the blood and remain in the game, except for using a timeout and having the foulee ready to play.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Wed Sep 19, 2012 at 07:26am.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If you are calling a flagrant personal foul, you would never signal the X. X is for an intentional foul, not a personal foul. And there is no signal for an ejection, other than to verbalize it.
Intentional fouls can be either personal (live ball) or technical (dead ball).
I can see X'ing a play like this & then upgrading it to a flagrant personal foul.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Intentional fouls can be either personal (live ball) or technical (dead ball).
I can see X'ing a play like this & then upgrading it to a flagrant personal foul.
Agreed, there's no mechanic for flagrant, but an X works well, followed by a table report. I would treat the notifications similar to a normal DQ. Partner, table, coach, player (if the player isn't already sitting on the bench).
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:32am
MABO Member

I like the FIBA signal for disqualification. Think of a made three only keep your arms bent a bit and fists closed. \0/

Or as one of my partners likes to say its the "Yes, he's outta here signal."

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I like the FIBA signal for disqualification. Think of a made three only keep your arms bent a bit and fists closed. \0/

Or as one of my partners likes to say its the "Yes, he's outta here signal."
I always wondered why HS/College basketball officials don't have an ejection/disqualification signal like FIBA refs do. Seems to me that you want it to be clear for everyone when you're tossing someone, right?
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenB View Post
I always wondered why HS/College basketball officials don't have an ejection/disqualification signal like FIBA refs do. Seems to me that you want it to be clear for everyone when you're tossing someone, right?
IIRC< FIBA mechanics are based on the idea that the participants may be speaking different languages and that everything needs a signal. It is possible that the referee doesn't speak the same language as anyone else.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenB View Post
I don't think it's necessary. The only people I care about are the coaches and the table in this instance.

I like the X because it lets the coaches know you're on top of it, which is good in an escalated situation. You can then tell them at the table (and I would likely pull both coaches in so I don't have to say it twice) that little Mr. Lydell has been DQd.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

In the NCAA using the Flagrant 1 signal (arms crossed over the head) could work in this situation since you can always upgrade a Flagrant 1 to a Flagrant 2.

In NFHS - IMO - I think giving the Flagrant signal would create confusion for all involved, especially for the coach who is losing a player. A very loud "Flagrant on #XX Red!" at the spot should do the job and just repeat it while administering the foul.

As far as the shooter is concerned, Team A has a short menu (NFHS 3-3/NCAA 3-4):
*Put in a sub for A1
*Call time out and deal with the blood. If A1 is ready to play at the end of the time out he/she can shoot the FTs.

Under NFHS rules Team A would have to call time out before the replacement interval (i.e., 20 secs to sub) begins. Under NCAA rules Team A can call time out after the replacement interval ends.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
In the NCAA using the Flagrant 1 signal (arms crossed over the head) could work in this situation since you can always upgrade a Flagrant 1 to a Flagrant 2.

In NFHS - IMO - I think giving the Flagrant signal would create confusion for all involved, especially for the coach who is losing a player. A very loud "Flagrant on #XX Red!" at the spot should do the job and just repeat it while administering the foul.

As far as the shooter is concerned, Team A has a short menu (NFHS 3-3/NCAA 3-4):
*Put in a sub for A1
*Call time out and deal with the blood. If A1 is ready to play at the end of the time out he/she can shoot the FTs.

Under NFHS rules Team A would have to call time out before the replacement interval (i.e., 20 secs to sub) begins. Under NCAA rules Team A can call time out after the replacement interval ends.
What confusion? For using the Intentional Foul signal? Color me skeptical.

As for what to do with the shooter. I agree, but I'm giving the coach a bit of leeway here, and I can't imagine ever needing to use the 20 second interval on this.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
What confusion? For using the Intentional Foul signal? Color me skeptical.

As for what to do with the shooter. I agree, but I'm giving the coach a bit of leeway here, and I can't imagine ever needing to use the 20 second interval on this.
Confusion because if that coach seen intentional then you tell him/her the player was tossed they're most likely going to say "But you called it intentional!"

As for the shooter, what happens if you're lucky enough that Team B's coach is aware of the blood substitution procedure for that situation? I'm not saying run A1 off the court but what's the definition of "leeway"?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 05:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Confusion because if that coach seen intentional then you tell him/her the player was tossed they're most likely going to say "But you called it intentional!"

As for the shooter, what happens if you're lucky enough that Team B's coach is aware of the blood substitution procedure for that situation? I'm not saying run A1 off the court but what's the definition of "leeway"?
Regarding the confusion; I don't think he'd be too confused. If he questions it, I'll just say, "Nope, I *signaled* intentional, but I called flagrant.

As for whether the B coach wants to question how much time I've given to A1 to get the blood taken care of, I really don't care what he thinks. His player caused the situation.

By "leeway," I'm not talking about giving him three minutes, but if they can take care of it while I'm reporting the foul and confirming with the table the foul count and checking on the score and ask the scorer where he got his shiny new shirt and (I think you get the point), I'm not going to make them burn a TO.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 08:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Billy, this is a new day for the OfficialForum. Off topic videos and images (other than an occasional, appropriate use of the squirrel) are likely going to be deleted. Eventually, one of us will get annoyed having to do this repeatedly and will issue a bit of a suspension. Keep that in mind.

While I like fun as much as the next guy, one of the improvements the new moderator team hopes to bring to the site is a bit higher signal-to-noise ratio.

If anyone has any thoughts about that (positive or negative), please feel free to send me or any of the other moderators a private message.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 09:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not April Fool's Day Anymore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Off topic videos and images (other than an occasional, appropriate use of the squirrel) are likely going to be deleted. One of the improvements the new moderator team hopes to bring to the site is a bit higher signal-to-noise ratio.
Sounds good to me. I will try to abide by the new rules, but, hopefully the moderators will be patient as I "wind down" over the next few weeks.

The Family Guy "You are outta here" video was well off topic and probably deserved to be deleted, however, the classic baseball umpire "You are gone" video was a video worth keeping on the Forum because it compared the mechanics (signals) of an ejection in a basketball game with the mechanics (signal) of an ejection in a baseball game, which is why I posted it, whereas The Family Guy video was just for laughs.

Also, I certainly hope that exceptions will be made for Mark Padgett once he returns. Even the evening news, with all the bad news, has to have a "feel good" story at the end.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 20, 2012 at 12:26pm.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2012, 10:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

For the record, we're all on the same page.