The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:12am
Back from the DL

"They can't do that!"

I'm looking for a parallel here.

If you saw the end of the Giants/Bucs NFL game yesterday, you saw the Giants in a "victory formation," but the Bucs opted to pound the line and go for the ball. The Giants were pretty upset about that, even though it's completely within the rules, it's something you "just don't do," according to Coach Coughlin.

(Personally, I think Coughlin needs to review Herm Edwards' famous line.)

Does anyone have an experience along this line where a coach thought the opposing team was doing something wrong, yet it was well within the rules, and possibly innovative?
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I'm looking for a parallel here.

If you saw the end of the Giants/Bucs NFL game yesterday, you saw the Giants in a "victory formation," but the Bucs opted to pound the line and go for the ball. The Giants were pretty upset about that, even though it's completely within the rules, it's something you "just don't do," according to Coach Coughlin.

(Personally, I think Coughlin needs to review Herm Edwards' famous line.)

Does anyone have an experience along this line where a coach thought the opposing team was doing something wrong, yet it was well within the rules, and possibly innovative?
Personally, I think Tampa's play was bush league and, as much as I dislike Coughlin, I think he was exactly right.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Yates HSBB - Houston, Texas

Remember that hs team a few years ago, that was runnung up the score and the 2nd and 3rd units were pressing they were winning games 152 - 46 and not thinking anything of it....is this the kind of stuff you are talking about ????
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Does any one have a statistic on the number of fumbled center to QB exchanges last year?

Maybe coughlin does not remember Joe Piscarcik.

When you are within one score, why wouldn't you make them play?

A different angle: perhaps another formation - it seems a punt formation would solve the issue.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Actually Watched That Game Live On Televsion ...

Quote:
Herm Edwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Joe Piscarcik.
Miracle at the Meadowlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I was in college (small NAIA powerhouse), one of our captains (a senior guard) had his leg broken on a play like this. I'm on Coughlin's side. This isn't innovative.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Black and White TV ??????

BM - As old as you and the game are did you watch it in blk and white...
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:32pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Remember that hs team a few years ago, that was runnung up the score and the 2nd and 3rd units were pressing they were winning games 152 - 46 and not thinking anything of it....is this the kind of stuff you are talking about ????
Not really. More along the lines of a single play the coach complains is illegal, but rather it's just something legal that he would never do.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Personally, I think Tampa's play was bush league and, as much as I dislike Coughlin, I think he was exactly right.
So you basically think that Tampa should have just quit? Why even put their defense out on the field then? As a football coach, I coach my players to play hard every down. When we take a knee, our linemen still fire off the ball, and our backs are ready to pick someone up coming off the end, and my QB takes a knee and then pops up and backs out of there...no reason to expect a defense to just stand there and do nothing.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Not really. More along the lines of a single play the coach complains is illegal, but rather it's just something legal that he would never do.
Had a game a few years back where a player only needed 10 or 12 more points to break the school season scoring record. The visiting team obviously knew this, and they played a box-1 and triangle-2 defense the entire game to keep the kid from getting the ball. He ended up scoring a couple on free throws...home coach b!tched about it the entire game. Nothing we could do about it.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Winning team shooting with the shot clock off when the opponent has conceded the game. Not illegal but considered bad sportsmanship.

I also agree with Tom that what Tamba did bush league and far from the accepted practice...at least in the NFL.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Ink Is Black, The Page Is White (Three Dog Night) ...

Quote:
As old as you and the game are did you watch it in black and white.
Yes, and not because it was broadcast in black and white, because the newly married BillyMac's couldn't afford one of those new fangled, expensive, color televisions on a teacher's salary.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 17, 2012 at 01:04pm.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Three Dog Night !!!!!!!!

Most of the young whipper snappers on here have no idea as to the following....."Jeremiah was a bullfrog...was a good friend of mine"
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

When I see a fumble one of these this will be a first for me personally. The Miracle in the Meadowlands was a play being run in full and fumbled, not the practice for kneeling down. Totally different situations. I agree with the Giants coach.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 17, 2012, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Most of the young whipper snappers on here have no idea as to the following....."Jeremiah was a bullfrog...was a good friend of mine"
And if they did, some would not care.

Peace