The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

2012 Gold Medal Game: Spain v. USA

Thoughts on the game for those that watched?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Saw most of the 2nd half. Felt our love-affair with the 3pt. shot kept us off the line and kept Spain in the game. I like not allowing HC's to request time outs until there's a dead ball.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I thought the players (especially Marc Gasol) did a poor job of adjusting to the officiating. There were a few fouls I would have passed on, but over all it seemed clear the officials wanted to reign in the hacking and shoving.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 02:36pm
M.A.S.H.

Too many GIs.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 02:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Too many GIs.
You sound like Doug Collins.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Holy balls that was a lot of fouls. 11 in the first quarter and 22 in the second. I am all for blowing the whistle if need be, but it was almost like they had their minds made up about how the game was going to go before it started. There were several fouls in the second quarter that were not fouls but got whistles anyway. I guess the international game is just called differently, but I didn't care for it.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 03:28pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Too much one on one, selfishness from the Americans kept the game close.

Rough game with too many fouls.

Spain played pretty well and kept it close enough for nail-bighting much of the game.

I did appreciate the unbridled enthusiasm of the US at the end. Genuine excitement - mixed with relief.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 03:58pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You sound like Doug Collins.
LOL

Snaq, did he make this comment? I had the TV on mute while I was working.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
LOL

Snaq, did he make this comment? I had the TV on mute while I was working.
Yeah, he did, right after the other tool commented that the officials must think people were there to see the officials.

I think Collins may have been right, I just don't like the term, and it really only proves what they say about a blind clock finding a nut twice a day.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 04:36pm.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 06:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yeah, he did, right after the other tool commented that the officials must think people were there to see the officials.

I think Collins may have been right, I just don't like the term, and it really only proves what they say about a blind clock finding a nut twice a day.
Officials use the term differently. There were a lot of times I would have passed on some of the contact because it had no affect on play. That being said I did not see many players adjusting. It was clear that a lot of these things were going to be called, you have to adjust. Then again I have not been impressed with much of the officiating in this tournament as a whole. There often is no real rhyme or reason for what is called and not called. It just seems like the calls were random for the most part.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a thought for the Olympic players, Doug Collins and everyone else that complained about the officials.....STOP FOULING!!!!!

The play that caused Collins to start his long-winded monologue about the officials was when Carmelo was whistled for holding Marc Gasol with BOTH HANDS to prevent him from getting a rebound....Ray Charles could have seen that foul......

If there is one or two fouls called that you don't like...OK....but when the fouls continue to be called, it's not the officials fault....it's the players fault who keep fouling!!!!!
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 07:10pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Thoughts on the game for those that watched?
From a fan standpoint, I was actually glad to see Spain give Team USA good game and challenge them the entire time. (I started watching just before halftime).

From an official's standpoint, I am curious about something in NFHS 3-official mechanics vs. FIBA. At one point in the game, it appeared the T and C officials were standing opposite each other for a bit before the C moved down to the foul-line extended. If I recall the play, it didn't look like it resulted from a rotation, so I was curious if there are times when having the T and C opposite each other is acceptable.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 07:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
From a fan standpoint, I was actually glad to see Spain give Team USA good game and challenge them the entire time. (I started watching just before halftime).

From an official's standpoint, I am curious about something in NFHS 3-official mechanics vs. FIBA. At one point in the game, it appeared the T and C officials were standing opposite each other for a bit before the C moved down to the foul-line extended. If I recall the play, it didn't look like it resulted from a rotation, so I was curious if there are times when having the T and C opposite each other is acceptable.
Do you mean even with each other rather than opposite of each other (T and C)? They are going to be on opposite sides of the court, but not necessarily even. That being said it did seem at times the C was a little high and not closer to the end line. Honestly that is not a NF thang, that is something that is often never taught in any 3 person mechanics. I cannot speak for what they do in FIBA or honestly have no experience with their mechanics. College mechanics do not want the C that high in any mechanics unless the ball in on their side of the court and then there would be a rotation recommended in those mechanics.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 07:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Do you mean even with each other rather than opposite of each other (T and C)? They are going to be on opposite sides of the court, but not necessarily even. That being said it did seem at times the C was a little high and not closer to the end line. Honestly that is not a NF thang, that is something that is often never taught in any 3 person mechanics. I cannot speak for what they do in FIBA or honestly have no experience with their mechanics. College mechanics do not want the C that high in any mechanics unless the ball in on their side of the court and then there would be a rotation recommended in those mechanics.

Peace
Rut:

I couldn't think how else to phrase it at the time, but you're right that I meant even with each other. It was something that stood out at that particular moment.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 07:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Rut:

I couldn't think how else to phrase it at the time, but you're right that I meant even with each other. It was something that stood out at that particular moment.
No problem, just trying to understand what you meant exactly.

And it has stood out to many of us watching. Also the Lead has loved to be in the lane in much of the time as well. Not something that gets taught at in the mechanics of this country.

Peace