The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Just for the record, my Joke Contest winners are now posted on the General Board. Mick will get around to his later, I think. I just can't seem to get the hang of clip-art gifs...
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
Wink

I JUST WANT TO SAY THE JUULIE IS ONE OF THE BEST OFFICIALS IN THIS FORUM......
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ROMANO
got a little brown smudge on your nose there buddy...

Old Wed May 07, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I thought he was adding to the joke contest--
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 07:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Juulie - since you have closed the entries, let me now share these two:

The funniest joke in the world, according to Monty Python:

My dog has no nose.
How does he smell?
Terrible!

The funniest knock-knock joke in the world, according to the 3 Stooges:

Knock knock
Who's there?
New York
New York who?
Nyork, nyork, nyork
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

My dog has no nose.
How does he smell?
Terrible!

Knock knock
Who's there?
New York
New York who?
Nyork, nyork, nyork
The best pun in the world, according to Games? or was it Discover magazine?:

Three brothers decide to go into business as cattle ranchers. They can't come up with a name for the ranch, so they ask their father. He suggests Focus -- because it's where the "sons raise meat."

Supposedly the only "triple pun"

Old Wed May 07, 2003, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

My dog has no nose.
How does he smell?
Terrible!

Knock knock
Who's there?
New York
New York who?
Nyork, nyork, nyork
The best pun in the world, according to Games? or was it Discover magazine?:

Three brothers decide to go into business as cattle ranchers. They can't come up with a name for the ranch, so they ask their father. He suggests Focus -- because it's where the "sons raise meat."

Supposedly the only "triple pun"

Not a triple pun but a good one:

Q. What does a dyslexic, agnostic insomniac do?
A. He stays up all night wondering if there's a dog.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds familiar...

Old Wed May 07, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Quote:

where??i did't see nothing...
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
This is my favorite kind of joke -- the kind my dad has told since I was little. SUpposedly, he can tell them for an hour straight. My favorite:

There's this orchestra and choir performing Beethoven's greatest works in a park series. On this particular day, the weather was quite sunny and pleasant, but somewhat breezy, and the music kept blowing around. The conductor, and several of the instrumentalists finally had to put string around their music to keep it on the stands. At one point near the end of Symphony #9, there's a long section where the choir doesn't sing at all. Well, the basses who were standing on the back riser, and getting quite warm, decided to sneak over to the beer garden for a couple of quick ones. As they were quaffing, quite rapidly, they sort of lost track of how much they had. They got back up on the risers, but then things started to go wrong. They couldn't find their pitches, and of course that threw off the other singers as well.

One spectator leaned over to the other one and said, "Wow, things don't look good. It's the bottom of the Ninth, the score is tied, the basses are loaded, and no one is on."

We have argued in my family whether its correct to say both that the bases are loaded and that no one is on. My uncle insists that if all three runners are leading off, and thus not touching the bag, they can be considered on-but-not-on. You baseball folks will have to decide the merit of this arguement.
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another in a similar vein.

There's this indian tribe that used somewhat exotic skins for many of their traditional items. The tepees were made out of elephant skins, the canoes were made out of zebra skins, and some small containers were made from hyena and lion skins. The women would sit on various kinds of skins as they did their various cooking and craft duties. In this one particular village there was one particularly small woman, who sat on a hippo skin. She was so small that she only weighed as much as the two babies of the other women. In fact, the squaw on the hippopotamus was equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides.

Groans are very appropriate, at this point.
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 12:06am
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face OK, Juulie - if we're into groaners..........

Juulie - here's the one I told you last season. Juulie and I were working a game together. It just so happens that Juulie is a Quaker and I am Jewish. I told her I actually knew a joke about Quakers and Jews. I mean - what are the odds? Here it is:

There was a Jewish synagogue and a Quaker meeting house (I think that's the correct term) down the street from each other. One night, there was a fire and the synagogue burned down. The Quakers offered to let the Jewish congregation use their meeting house for services until the temple could be rebuilt.

As the months went by, members from each group occasionally attended the services of the other group. It turns out that quite a few of the Jews decided they really liked the Quaker meetings.

When the temple got rebuilt, the rabbi was holding the first services when he noticed a large number of his congregation was missing. He asked the temple president where they were. The temple president told the rabbi that they had all joined the Quakers.

The rabbi said, "What! Some of my best Jews are Friends?"
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

Below is an actual letter sent to a Bank in the United States. The Bank Manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times.
Dear Sir:
I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavored to pay my plumber last month. By my calculations some three nanoseconds must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire salary, an arrangement which, I admit, has only been in place for eight years. You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account by $50 by way of penalty for the inconvenience I caused to your bank. My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways. You have set me on the path of fiscal righteousness. No more will our relationship be blighted by these unpleasant incidents, for I am restructuring my affairs in 2002, taking as my model the procedures, attitudes and conduct of your very bank. I can think of no greater compliment and I know you will be excited and proud to hear it. To this end, please be advised of the following changes. I have noticed that whereas I personally attend to your telephone calls and letters, when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, ever-changing, pre-recorded, faceless entity which your bank has become. From now on I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person. My mortgage and loan repayments will, therefore and hereafter, no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank, by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your branch whom you must nominate. You will be aware that it is an offense under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope. Please find attached an Application Contact Status which I require your chosen employee to complete. I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative. Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be countersigned by a Notary Public, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities)must be accompanied by documented proof. In due course I will issue your employee with a PIN number which he/she must quote in dealings with me. I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modeled it on the number of button presses required to access my account balance on your phone bank service. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Let me level the playing field even further by introducing you to my new telephone system, which you will notice, is very much like yours. My Authorized Contact at your bank, the only person with whom I will have any dealings, may call me at any time and will be answered by an automated voice service: Press buttons as follows:
1. To make an appointment to see me.
2. To query a missing payment.
3. To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.
4. To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping.
5. To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.
6. To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.
7. To leave a message on my computer, a password to access my computer is required. Password will be communicated at a later date to the Authorized Contact.
8. To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.
9. To make a general complaint or inquiry. The contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service. While this may on occasion involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration of the call. This month I've chosen a refrain from "The Best of Woodie Guthrie: "Oh, the banks are made of marble, With a guard at every door, And the vaults are filled with silver, that the miners sweated for." On a more serious note, we come to the matter of cost. As your bank has often pointed out, the ongoing drive for greater efficiency comes at a cost which you have always been quick to pass on to me. Let me repay your kindness by passing some costs back. First, there is a matter of advertising material you send me. This I will read for a fee of $20 per page. Inquiries from the Authorized Contact will be billed at $5 per minute of my time spent in response. Any debits to my account, as, for example, in the matter of the penalty for the dishonored check, will be passed back to you. My new phone service runs at 75 cents a minute. You will be well advised to keep your inquiries brief and to the point. Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of this new arrangement. May I wish you a happy, if ever-so-slightly less prosperous, New Year?

Your Humble Client,
(Name Withheld)

Old Thu May 08, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Sounds familiar...

Apologies if that joke was already posted in the joke...err...general discussion forum

Anyway, I just started reading it yesterday and I see Mark likes Steven Wright, so I'll throw my Steven Wright joke in:

A woman moves into a new house and she notices there's an electric switch by the door that does nothing. She soon gets into the habit of flicking it every time she walks by. Six months later she gets a letter from a woman in Germany. The letter said "Cut it out".

Old Thu May 08, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

HELLLO ( Mcflay..)THE JOKES COMPETITION IS OVER..AND THERE IS A WINNER ...SO WHAT ARE DOING?
JUULIE HAS SPOKEN!!....