The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs down

90 seconds into the game and already I can't stand the officiating. Female official gives the "all ball" clap during backcourt pressure. Male official can't be bothered to signal direction when the ball goes OOB on his end line. Ball goes OOB on the sideline near the corner in the frontcourt, and will stay in the frontcourt. Trail properly blows the whistle for the violation. But then, hey, why not? They put the ball in play on the endline!! WHAT?!?!

And that's all just in the first minute and a half. Terrible.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
"Ball goes OOB on the sideline near the corner in the frontcourt, and will stay in the frontcourt. Trail properly blows the whistle for the violation. But then, hey, why not? They put the ball in play on the endline!! WHAT?!?! "

Chuck-

I am not 100% sure on this but I do believe that its a FIBA rule that at no time is the ball taken out on the sideline in the frontcourt.....Everything goes down to the baseline.

Are there any FIBA officials out here that can clarify this?
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BOBBYMO
"Ball goes OOB on the sideline near the corner in the frontcourt, and will stay in the frontcourt. Trail properly blows the whistle for the violation. But then, hey, why not? They put the ball in play on the endline!! WHAT?!?! "

Chuck-

I am not 100% sure on this but I do believe that its a FIBA rule that at no time is the ball taken out on the sideline in the frontcourt.....Everything goes down to the baseline.

No, you are not 100% sure. If the ball went out on the sideline, it should have been inbounded on the sideline, front court or back court.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

The officiating at the Olympics has demonstrated why many officials don't have any respect for FIBA. I've seen better officials and officiating at the high school in my area. Now, that may draw the ire of some FIBA officials here. But if you can honestly tell me that these are the best FIBA has to offer and that they're doing a great job, then I'l know that you are completely off your rocker.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

I believe that there are a few NBA refs working the Olympics. Of course, you won't see any of them reffing and United States or Canadian games.
Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

You certainly won't see them refereeing Canadian games. Canada did not qualify for the Olympics.

I know that Sean Corbin is at the Olympics. He is an NBA ref.

Does anyone know if the European Professional Leagues use a two-man or a three-man system. I am wondering if maybe there are a large number of FIBA officials who don't have three-man experience. Maybe that's the reason why they are not going three whistle yet.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 05:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

I still am trying to figure out why there are only 2 officials for this kind of speed and agility on the court? That just seems silly to me, especially with the athleticism of the US and many players that play in the NBA from other countries.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO

Chuck-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, you are not 100% sure. If the ball went out on the sideline, it should have been inbounded on the sideline, front court or back court.

Jay R-

My fault as I do not keep up on my FIBA rules at all but this was a rule in 93 when I was asked to work some exibition games and practices for USA basketball while they were getting ready to play in the Pan-Am games in Puerto Rico.
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Ball goes out-of-bounds sideline. Must be inbounded from the sideline. Simple rule.