The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2012, 08:50pm
Ok is the new good

NCAA Sanctioned HS Tourney

Hi,

Working my first NCAA Sanctioned event on Saturday.

Can you tell me what it means to be an NCAA Sanctioned HS Tourney?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Hi,

Working my first NCAA Sanctioned event on Saturday.

Can you tell me what it means to be an NCAA Sanctioned HS Tourney?
For you, not much.

For the players it means NCAA coaches and/or their representatives are allowed to attend and are paying to see the kids.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

You may find that the rules for the tournament will allow six fouls until disqualification or that other rule mods might be in place to ensure players have the opportunity to be seen. And of course all of the parents in the place will be aware that there are college scouts watching which tends to increase the extraneous commentary from the stands.

Those tournaments do tend to attract higher quality teams so you may have an opportunity to work some good games. If you do a lot of youth or sub varsity HS games you don't see much play above the rim and you may see some of that here. Good chance to sharpen your awareness of basket interference and goal tending. I missed a basket interference call in one of those tournaments this year. Just didn't react fast enough to what I thought I saw.

Have fun and work on your skills.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Those tournaments do tend to attract higher quality teams so you may have an opportunity to work some good games. If you do a lot of youth or sub varsity HS games you don't see much play above the rim and you may see some of that here. Good chance to sharpen your awareness of basket interference and goal tending. I missed a basket interference call in one of those tournaments this year. Just didn't react fast enough to what I thought I saw.

Have fun and work on your skills.
I do not think he said what gender was playing these games.

I just say this because there is a shoe sponsored tournament going on right now in my area but it is girls. No above the rim play in these games for sure.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

For Sure ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No above the rim play in these games for sure.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Open court, undefended slam dunks are not the same as "above the rim play."
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yep. I have yet to see a dunk in a game yet.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

As the previous posters said it's a NCAA sanctioned tournament so coaches can be there in person to scout out potential players. Usually they all wear their school gear so you can tell who the coaches are.

I just finished up with a big one here in Oregon on the girls side of things (End of the Trail) this has been like my 5-6th year doing it. For the most part very good ball and games. This particular tournament uses NCAA-W rules so it's fun for me since Oregon isn't a shot clock state to get some practice on it, plus it's nice not having to have a 10 second backcourt count going on.

Most of the teams in this tournament were AAU types and they brought the AAU coaches with them. For the most part they behaved but you still run into the types of AAU coaches who can make life fairly difficult if you don't put a stop to it early and often.

Here's a tip. You can tell what type of game you are going to have based on the numbers and types of coaches in the stands. If you have a game with a lot of coaches (from big name schools) you will likely have a very, very good game with high caliber types of players.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Spider Dunks ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Especially when they are dunking on eight foot baskets.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
As the previous posters said it's a NCAA sanctioned tournament so coaches can be there in person to scout out potential players. Usually they all wear their school gear so you can tell who the coaches are.

I just finished up with a big one here in Oregon on the girls side of things (End of the Trail) this has been like my 5-6th year doing it. For the most part very good ball and games. This particular tournament uses NCAA-W rules so it's fun for me since Oregon isn't a shot clock state to get some practice on it, plus it's nice not having to have a 10 second backcourt count going on.

Most of the teams in this tournament were AAU types and they brought the AAU coaches with them. For the most part they behaved but you still run into the types of AAU coaches who can make life fairly difficult if you don't put a stop to it early and often.

Here's a tip. You can tell what type of game you are going to have based on the numbers and types of coaches in the stands. If you have a game with a lot of coaches (from big name schools) you will likely have a very, very good game with high caliber types of players.
Did they have you work 3-person crews as well?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Links

Btw, here are links to this summer's men's...

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...32990c107f77dc

and women's NCAA sanctioned events

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...43e7071e1ceb2b
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Did they have you work 3-person crews as well?
No, the camp referenced in another thread did the 3 man crews. I worked in the non-camp section of the tournament and we just used 2 person crews. It is a huge tournament, multiple courts over multiple schools.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Especially when they are dunking on eight foot baskets.
Why even bring up the video?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 09:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Why even bring up the video?
It's pathological.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am working the Nike Cup here in the western suburbs this weekend and just about every program you can imagine and ever conference has been represented at this tournament.

Quote:
I wish that was the case this weekend. At least today we have had the dumbest coaches I think I have ever come in contact with. One coach could not understand why we would not grant timeouts as she never would raise her voice and when she was heard, her players did not have the ball. It got to the point where I had to yell at the top of my lungs to suggest, "If you want a time out, you need to do more than talk under your breathe. It is not "time out" it is TIME OUT!!" The the stupid people were so dumb, that she had the assistant coach yell timeout and when I asked the head coach whether she wanted a timeout (during a dead ball before a FT) she got upset when I asked her for her clarification as she was clearly the head coach.

Then we have a guy (another coach) that I had a run in with last year (long story) and lied when my partner granted a timeout. My partner was near the bench and he called a timeout. Then my partner proceeded to go into the huddle and not 5 feet away say to the coach, "What kind of timeout do you want?" Coach did not respond at all. He repeated himself 2 more times. Then when no response he walks to the table and says, "Full timeout." Then about 20 seconds later, the coach comes to us and says, "I wanted a 30 second timeout." And that was just the beginning. There was much more in this game that made what was actually a very enjoyable game into a very dreadful experience.

Quote:
We had that all day today. Only one of the games was not competitive. Every game was back and forth and many D1 players on the floor. Fun to work except for the stupid azz coaches.

Peace