The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Missing From NCAA Tourney

We'll all be waiting to see who is working this year's tourney, but I can tell you right now that at least 8 (another source says 16) "regulars" in the NCAA Tournament will NOT be working because of a glitch in the NCAA computer system.

A prominent official I know is not working this year because the NCAA allegedly didn't receive his online background check. All other paperwork filled out, everything complete, but a computer glitch didn't recognize the completed background checks of several officials, including at least one with Final Four experience.

We'll see if any new guys advance farther than you'd imagine...
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

You must be talking about Jim Burr. You won't see him in the tournament this year.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 07:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Won't see Donnee Gray either, he hurt his knee this season.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If this is true, then it's possible Welmer will get to the final four and the Welmer Drinking Game will be played all around the country!
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S.
We'll all be waiting to see who is working this year's tourney, but I can tell you right now that at least 8 (another source says 16) "regulars" in the NCAA Tournament will NOT be working because of a glitch in the NCAA computer system.

A prominent official I know is not working this year because the NCAA allegedly didn't receive his online background check. All other paperwork filled out, everything complete, but a computer glitch didn't recognize the completed background checks of several officials, including at least one with Final Four experience.

We'll see if any new guys advance farther than you'd imagine...
quite possible. Here's verbiage from the bulletin post 17 Sep 07:
  • SUBJECT: Game Officials' Background Check Program.
    This is to provide you with information as it relates to the 2007-08 college basketball season game officials background check program.
    As a reminder, for a game official to be eligible for assignment to work the NCAA Division I Men's or Women's Basketball Championship, it is necessary to submit the required information via the new online NCAA Division I Game Officials Background Check Program. The following attachment will explain in detail the steps necessary to complete this process. The online system will be open for use beginning October 6 and will close at midnight Eastern time November 9. The system will not be accessible after midnight November 9. No paper documents will be accepted.
    If the form is not completed online by the noted deadline, there is no recourse and the official will not be eligible to officiate at a 2008 championship. For privacy reasons, there will be no notification from the national office prior to the deadline to officials or conference offices/officiating coordinators if background checks are not received from any individual.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Question Jim Burr

Jim Burr worked the Akron-Florida St NIT game last night. If his background check was not completed, I can't imagine the NCAA assigning him to a game in either tournament.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I was surprised when my file was red flagged and put under executive review. The NCAA had never had a problem with my 1988 Summer Internship with the Bonnano Crime family before. :shrugs:
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Thu Mar 27, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Some prominent officials short on requirements

By Steve Berkowitz and Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY
A number of notable men's basketball game officials were not assigned to work the NCAA tournament because they did not meet a set of administrative requirements.
Among the officials affected was Jim Burr, who has worked 16 Final Fours, including 14 of the previous 18, and seven finals. Burr attributed his exclusion to "an administrative mix-up" over whether he completed one of the three requirements.
Bernard Clinton, who works in the Atlantic Coast Conference, also was affected, says John Clougherty, the ACC's coordinator of men's basketball officials. Clougherty adds he appealed to the NCAA, "but it didn't go anywhere."
Without specifying why, Greg Shaheen, the NCAA senior vice president who oversees the event, says "a handful" of tournament-worthy refs were excluded.
Adds Shaheen, who declined to identify the affected officials, "Every year, we have people who have (the procedural) issue. This year, it just happens to be some relatively high-profile people."
Ninety-six officials are selected for the tournament. To be eligible, they must meet three administrative requirements by mid-November, says Shaheen: attend a regional rules clinic in the fall, consent to a background check and take an online rules test.
Leagues nominate officials for the tournament in late February, and from that group, NCAA men's basketball officiating coordinator Hank Nichols forwards a list to the Division I basketball committee. The committee has final approval.
Burr, who works regular-season games in several major conferences and worked this year's Big East Conference tournament final, declined to say which requirement he did not complete, except to say "there was a document online that I thought I did, and (NCAA officials) claim they didn't receive it."
"I don't know whose fault it is," Burr says, "maybe it's mine — I'm not shirking my responsibility (for the problem). … Am I disappointed? Sure. But it's not the end of the world. Life goes on. There's no animosity on my part. They have to protect the integrity of the game, and I respect that greatly. But there's nothing wrong. I'm squeaky clean. … The NCAA did what they had to do. It's no different than a young man seeking his eligibility."
Clougherty, who worked Final Fours with Burr, says, "The tournament would be better with a guy of Jim Burr's status. … If you take Alex Rodriguez out of the Yankees lineup, their lineup is not as strong. But the Yankees still play."