The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Tourney - Marquette v. Missouri

Was watching the end of the Marquette v. Missouri game and I saw 2 interesting end of game situations.

1) When a Mizzou player was fouled in the act of shooting, he was grimacing and was "injured" that he was unable to attempt the free throws. As expected, a better free throw shooter from the bench subbed for him and took the free throws (he made both). After the free throws, the original "injured" player entered back to the game.

I know this is allowed in the official NCAA rules. But what surprised me was there was no restriction on when the "injured" player can come back in. So why aren't more coaches using this legal procedure of faking an injury if the fouled player is bad at free throws? Or maybe we really live in a world where most coaches honor the intent of the rule and not abuse it.

2) Is it really a throw-in violation when the player inbounding the ball stepped on the end line? The color commentator was pretty emphatic about it, but I couldn't find it in the rules.

I'm a HS official and I know that in HS, this is NOT a violation, at least not when it's after a field goal. The most you can do is stop the play and do a repeat of the throw-in.

Is it covered under the rule of the spot throw-in and it's technically leaving the spot?

Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 06:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
2) The Marquette player didn't step ON the endline, he clearly stepped OVER the endline by several inches. It was a great call backed up by the replay. T was all over it. The Marquette coach apparently was looking for an off-ball foul prior to the violation (my interpretation of his demonstrative behavior).

The game certainly had an exciting ending! Surely it was March Madness.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary77 View Post
Was watching the end of the Marquette v. Missouri game and I saw 2 interesting end of game situations.
1) The officials correctly denied the replaced player reentry into the game until the clock had been correctly started and stopped.

My question: since the player who was too injured to shoot free throws can play seconds after being replaced, could the officials invoke the rule which is a techincal foul for intentionally allowing the wrong player to shoot the free throws? If he was legtimately injured, he wouldn't have been able to go back in that soon (one could assume, I hope). And the coach and team should know that he should have shot the free throws.

2) His toe touched the playing court inbounds. Part of the foot has to touch inbounds, not all of it.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
1) The officials correctly denied the replaced player reentry into the game until the clock had been correctly started and stopped.

My question: since the player who was too injured to shoot free throws can play seconds after being replaced, could the officials invoke the rule which is a techincal foul for intentionally allowing the wrong player to shoot the free throws? If he was legtimately injured, he wouldn't have been able to go back in that soon (one could assume, I hope). And the coach and team should know that he should have shot the free throws.
NO!!!

Peace
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2) .....

I'm a HS official and I know that in HS, this is NOT a violation, at least not when it's after a field goal. The most you can do is stop the play and do a repeat of the throw-in.
Why stop the play and do a repeat? If it's not a violation, there's no reason to stop play, if it's a violation you certainly can't repeat the same play! I don't get what you're driving at here.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) When a Mizzou player was fouled in the act of shooting, he was grimacing and was "injured" that he was unable to attempt the free throws. As expected, a better free throw shooter from the bench subbed for him and took the free throws (he made both). After the free throws, the original "injured" player entered back to the game.

I know this is allowed in the official NCAA rules. But what surprised me was there was no restriction on when the "injured" player can come back in. So why aren't more coaches using this legal procedure of faking an injury if the fouled player is bad at free throws? Or maybe we really live in a world where most coaches honor the intent of the rule and not abuse it.

2) Is it really a throw-in violation when the player inbounding the ball stepped on the end line? The color commentator was pretty emphatic about it, but I couldn't find it in the rules.

Is it covered under the rule of the spot throw-in and it's technically leaving the spot?

Thanks.
In #1, he tried to re-enter, but was not allowed to. NCAA states that time must run off the clock for a player to re-enter. Rule 3-4-14.

In #2, yes this is a violation as it is in HS. There are numerous rules that make this a violation. Most notably for NFHS rule 9-2-5.

My biggest question at the end of the game, is why did L not have a whistle for OOB with 1.1 seconds left? He just kinda turned to get the ball from the camera man. He seemed a little confused, like he thought the game was over.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks.
1) The sub was a freshman with a 69% Ft average replacing a JR with a 77% FT average

2) God I hope you're really not a HS official
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
1) The sub was a freshman with a 69% Ft average replacing a JR with a 77% FT average

2) God I hope you're really not a HS official
LOL Thanks for both of these... I didn't have the energy to look up #1... #2 crossed my mind several times lol.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
NO!!!

Peace
"Peace" rings quite hollow when you use the triple-exclamation.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 08:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
"Peace" rings quite hollow when you use the triple-exclamation.
How old are you?

Peace
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Been Patiently Waiting For Just the Right Time For This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Peace.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone have a foul on that last shot? I did.
I know, I know, don't decide the game. C had no angle on it.
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 09:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Did anyone have a foul on that last shot? I did.
I know, I know, don't decide the game. C had no angle on it.
No.

Out of control player trying to cause contact on a heave. Based on what I saw, I do not think I would have called that if it was the first few minutes of the game. It has nothing to do with deciding the game, it just was not there.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:20am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
2) The Marquette player didn't step ON the endline, he clearly stepped OVER the endline by several inches. It was a great call backed up by the replay. T was all over it. The Marquette coach apparently was looking for an off-ball foul prior to the violation (my interpretation of his demonstrative behavior).
Actually, I believe after the violation, which was undeniable, the coach was telling his team: "We have to foul."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks.
As others have asked, why would you stop the play and repeat the throw-in even he stepped ON the line? The Marquette player stepped OVER the line, which is a violation in HS and NCAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Actually, I believe after the violation, which was undeniable, the coach was telling his team: "We have to foul."
That is what I got from it also. He was telling his players to foul immediately.