The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 03:41pm
Back from the DL

School-Sanctioned Sunday games

Due to the weather, we've had a few postponements of tournament games in the past few days. It's caused some location changes, too, as one of the arenas had to break down their basketball floor for another function tomorrow.

Sunday games are not a consideration for school-sanctioned events here, even as a backup plan. Of course, rec leagues and I believe AAU do Sunday games all the time, but our state's association won't allow Sunday games at all.

Do any states out their allow their schools Sunday games, regular season or tournament? Plan A or backup?
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 03:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Due to the weather, we've had a few postponements of tournament games in the past few days. It's caused some location changes, too, as one of the arenas had to break down their basketball floor for another function tomorrow.

Sunday games are not a consideration for school-sanctioned events here, even as a backup plan. Of course, rec leagues and I believe AAU do Sunday games all the time, but our state's association won't allow Sunday games at all.

Do any states out their allow their schools Sunday games, regular season or tournament? Plan A or backup?
Not sure if it was last year or in 2009, but Vermont had a game or two on a Sunday in basketball as the semis and championships kept getting postponed. I think one semi in one class was done and the other was not.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Sunday is off-limits in VA for public school games. Don't know if any private schools play on Sundays.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Sunday is off-limits in VA for public school games. Don't know if any private schools play on Sundays.
I suspect that it is rare for warm weather states to have need of multiple postponements that would even make them consider a Sunday for games. It was highly unusual in the Vermont case.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There are some, but they are rare and usually a make up game.

There is a "Sunday School" joke here somewhere!
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I suspect that it is rare for warm weather states to have need of multiple postponements that would even make them consider a Sunday for games. It was highly unusual in the Vermont case.
Well, actually we get a lot of cancellations down here b/c we shut pretty quickly for ice and snow. In fact last season a lot of JV games and few Varsity were cancelled all together because they couldn't be made up in time for the play-offs. And at no time were Sundays a consideration.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

No Sunday games here for schools. Wednesdays are taboo too. However, the same people that are adamant about not having school games on Wed and Sunday have no problem at all having AAU or club practices on either day of the week and Sunday games are common.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 05:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It's probably because the union custodians, who'd have to come in to work, get quadruple time and a half on Sundays.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

We don't do anything here on Sundays.It would be a huge violation of the bylaws if anyone did.
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We Still Have Blue Laws Here ...

Due to all the snow we had this winter, our state interscholastic sports governing body allowed games to be played on Sundays after 12:30 p.m. This was a big deal around these parts. We still can't buy alcohol at a liquor store on a Sunday.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say their common here but they're not rare either. I know of several shootout (collection of games - not a tournament) type events where Sunday was day two of a two day lineup.

I will say this, when I was the asst varsity baseball coach we did practice on Sunday evenings however nothing would piss us off more than sometimes seeing the best weather day of the week go by with not being able to play. Which, especially with baseball, to see the calendar switch from may to june and all of the sudden Sunday was no big deal to play on. Similar to how when the HS bball season is over, rec and aau starts up and its no big deal there either.

It may have started off as a church thing but I would put money on it that it has to do more with administrators not wanting to "work" on those days. If you asked the players and coaches more than likely they wouldn't care. And as officials, if you didn't want to work then just block them out.

I've never heard about Wed's being taboo...is that a feeble thing?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:31am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
No Sunday games here for schools. Wednesdays are taboo too.
Really? That's intriguing. What's so sacred about Wednesdays?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
No idea, but I *love* the fact that there's one night during the week I'm guaranteed to be off.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It because that's when the clergy wanted their confirmation classes.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2011, 11:46am
Aleve Titles to Others

Rare Wednesday games here. Prayer meeting night.

The VT winter season deadline was looming, which necessitated the Sunday game as there were no other dates available before the deadline at the game site.