The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 04:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Use of or lack of use of voice.

We are about in a month of the summer camp season for high school ball. And I have noticed something while being a clinician or even working games with fellow officials that seems a little disturbing.

Very few officials use their voice in any meaningful way. They do not talk to their partners or tell the players much of anything with their voice. I am just wondering if this is common around the country or something that I am just seeing. It was said by another fellow official who is participating at camps that about 90% of the officials he sees could use their voice more. Either they are keeping the whistle in their mouth or they are as quite as a mouse.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I got that feedback - individually and in a group - at a camp I attended this week. I'm quiet by nature so it's been an issue off and on.

I think part of it is the nerves of being at a camp. I know for myself once I'm told/reminded about it, I change back to "season" mode and talk more.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 07:14pm
Official & Member

It probably has something to do with the notion that, as campers, we are emphatically told to keep quiet and listen.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 07:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I see a lot of newer officials that don't communicate well. This normally applies to 1st and 2nd year folks, however.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 08:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
It probably has something to do with the notion that, as campers, we are emphatically told to keep quiet and listen.
Well we do not tell them this at all. So if that is the case they did not hear that from me or the people I work with in any way, shape or form. And I am talking about on the court, not when the clinicians or assignors are talking to them.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 09:20pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well we do not tell them this at all. So if that is the case they did not hear that from me or the people I work with in any way, shape or form. And I am talking about on the court, not when the clinicians or assignors are talking to them.

Peace
I'm talking about in general. Every camp I've ever been to, it was pretty much understood that "you have two ears and one mouth...use them in that ratio". Of course, these were instructional camps, not college exposure camps. As such, that doesn't really create an environmemt that encourages any individual participant to want to get real vocal anywhwere. Just my impression.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sun Jun 24, 2012 at 09:32pm.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I'm talking about in general. Every camp I've ever been to, it was pretty much understood that "you have two ears and one mouth...use them in that ratio". Of course, these were instructional camps, not college exposure camps.
I cannot speak for every camp and certainly cannot speak for every camp in this area, but usually we do not tell anyone that sort of thing. I really cannot even think of any college camps that says that kind of thing either. Of course when you have a camper or two that tend to "ya but" clinicians or not listen to them or interrupt them when talking to several campers at once, then yes I can see that being the case. But not the case in the situations I am talking about. And I am talking about what they are doing on the court, not communicating in a teaching session between games or during a timeout. I am strictly talking about why an officials seems to have a problem communicating basic stuff with their voice like where the ball is out of bounds after a stop clock, communicating that a sub cannot come into the game or instead of a basket counting they have a team control foul. Just kind of taken confused why even veterans do not do this even in situations that they know them not speaking up can be a problem.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Jun 24, 2012 at 10:15pm.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 09:28am
9 times

As an evaluator at several camps each summer, I probably tell officials to use their voice more at least 95% of the time. Totally agree with Jeff's original post.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Personally I find that being vocal in the first 2 min. or so of the game allows for alot less whistles through the course of the game. Expecially as L with the post play. Your voice helps set the tone and it helps to remind the players that we're there and were aware of whats going on.
That being said I sometimes see just the opposite, guys being too vocal. In the 3rd and 4th qtr talking about the same things they were talking about in the 1st. At some point they need to bang the kid so he realizes that the offensive action needs to stop.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 09:41am
Courageous When Prudent

It wouldn't surprise me if that were a common problem (lack of voice). My voice is one of things that has been a positive in my career and I get complimented on consistently.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Thoughts on this

What kind of talking is useful?

At camp I generally talk a lot more than I do in a normal game.

Although in a normal game, I usually try to talk people out of the lane with a whistle in my mouth I yell "lane, lane". If I'm the non-calling official I get players lined up so when my partner returns to his spot we are ready to shoot free throws. If we have a trouble player, I communicate that loudly to my partner/s

In camp, I also add the occasional, "good call" to my partner. But this feels forced to me.

But since I get the same feedback, "try to use your voice more", I know I gotta continue to do more. But when else is an appropriate time to talk more?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
What kind of talking is useful?

At camp I generally talk a lot more than I do in a normal game.

Although in a normal game, I usually try to talk people out of the lane with a whistle in my mouth I yell "lane, lane". If I'm the non-calling official I get players lined up so when my partner returns to his spot we are ready to shoot free throws. If we have a trouble player, I communicate that loudly to my partner/s

In camp, I also add the occasional, "good call" to my partner. But this feels forced to me.

But since I get the same feedback, "try to use your voice more", I know I gotta continue to do more. But when else is an appropriate time to talk more?
When a player is on the border of doing something they don't need to do and it doesn't need a foul....No-hands (usually on the perimeter), Straight up (rebounding, post play), etc.

When a player helps someone up displaying good sportsmanship...thanks, nice job.

When they get the ball for you on a dead ball...thank you.

When they're pushing the limits on entering the lane to rebound a FT....guys, wait til it hits (in addition to the "normal 1 shot").

You can't talk the whole game with this sort of stuff but if you let the players hear you and let them know you're paying attention, it can do two things. 1...it can keep them from committing a cheap foul. 2....it lets them know you're watching and, if they're the "victim", it keeps them from getting frustrated wondering if you're blind....helping control the game.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Jun 25, 2012 at 10:48am.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Personally I find that being vocal in the first 2 min. or so of the game allows for alot less whistles through the course of the game. Expecially as L with the post play. Your voice helps set the tone and it helps to remind the players that we're there and were aware of whats going on.
That being said I sometimes see just the opposite, guys being too vocal. In the 3rd and 4th qtr talking about the same things they were talking about in the 1st. At some point they need to bang the kid so he realizes that the offensive action needs to stop.
I am not referring to talking to kids or players to prevent fouls. I am talking about talking to partners to tell them what you just called or where to put the ball on a foul or violation. Even something has simple as using voice when reporting the foul. You are talking about something totally different than what I was referring to.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 01:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I am not referring to talking to kids or players to prevent fouls. I am talking about talking to partners to tell them what you just called or where to put the ball on a foul or violation. Even something has simple as using voice when reporting the foul. You are talking about something totally different than what I was referring to.

Peace
Definitely something I see with newer officials; normally accompanied by a soft whistle and fuzzy signals. Occasionally, a veteran will forget to let me know if we're doing FTs or a throw in, however.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Oh ok. Sorry I must have misread the op. I find alot of newer guys struggle with communication. Thats something that I try to stress in the pre-game. Spot for throwins, shooting or floor foul, number of shooter, number of shots. All important things that guys should communicate about all game long.