The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Been busy this month (30 games) @ 3 per night. All city youth rec league. The level of play is not very competetive and many times it's a blow out. Many players don't have a clue how the game is played. (Coaching) Can't really blame the coaches though ( I once was one of them) 'cause they only get 1 hour of practice per week, if they're lucky.

My reffing style in cases of ignorance is to be vocal on calls. That is, in certain instances, I elaborate the call with a short and concise explanation of what happened. To me it all seems like it fits in the flow of the game. It also seems that from the feedback I get from coaches and especially parents, is that they appreciate the communication/education.

I have 8 or so different partners over the course of the season and we're all pretty compatible. One partner, in a nice way, said to me that "they want you to just say the call" example: "Tweet....Blue" and then point.

I presume by "they" he means evaluators and the like.

To me this league is as much instructional as anything else. And if an evaluator just happens to be watching (unlikely) what would be their take.

Opinions?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:23am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Been busy this month (30 games) @ 3 per night. All city youth rec league. The level of play is not very competetive and many times it's a blow out. Many players don't have a clue how the game is played. (Coaching) Can't really blame the coaches though ( I once was one of them) 'cause they only get 1 hour of practice per week, if they're lucky.

My reffing style in cases of ignorance is to be vocal on calls. That is, in certain instances, I elaborate the call with a short and concise explanation of what happened. To me it all seems like it fits in the flow of the game. It also seems that from the feedback I get from coaches and especially parents, is that they appreciate the communication/education.

I have 8 or so different partners over the course of the season and we're all pretty compatible. One partner, in a nice way, said to me that "they want you to just say the call" example: "Tweet....Blue" and then point.

I presume by "they" he means evaluators and the like.

To me this league is as much instructional as anything else. And if an evaluator just happens to be watching (unlikely) what would be their take.

Opinions?
It sounds like the league concentrates more on having fun than winning a trophy at the end. Which I think is fantastic.

I think it's a good idea. If the coaches like it, the parents like it, and the players don't feel embarassed, they by all means.

I've done the little extra comment in some games, and the trick is to know what games you can do that in. Your P might want you to keep in mind not to allow any habits to form that /would/ generate a mention from an evaluator, had it been a V game.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Thumbs up Wonderful

Keep up the good work. Everybody will learn from you. As the figure of authority and fairness out on the court, you have a unique opportunity to influence how these kids (and parents and coaches) see the game. You may well be defusing problems years from now by adding your little expanations today. More power to you!
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've always done things like that when doing the younger kids.If the league is instructional,then as officals our role is to teach what can or can not be done.If telling a kid,briefly,what they did wrong helps them learn how to play,I see no harm.

If the kids are older or the league is an all-star type league,then I won't do it.At that level our "coaching" starts stepping on toes.I'll only explain,if the kid asks,
"What did I do wrong?"
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Higher level

It would be beneficial to coaches and fans at higher levels if we could verbalized our calls and explain the rules and interpetations but probably not practical. NFL referees get the opportunity but the fans still boo!! Because they are fans, that's their job! Because we are are referees it is our job to make them boo!