The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
It's been said by three different groups of evals that the horn DOES NOT make the ball dead, there MUST be a whistle.
Then there are three eval groups that are dead wrong. Unless there is a shot in the air, the horn must assuredly does cause the ball to become dead. (NF 6-7-6)

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 01:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation I was responding to you, big guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
multiple fouls, 3 second calls and calling Ts for players stepping one foot out of bounds to avoid a screen.

Huh? As usual, you are taking this post off on some other tangent. Having never called a multiple foul or a T for stepping out of bounds (and since this post has nothing to do with any of those), you can just head down that road by yourself as usual. Have a nice night.

Z
Were these not your words?

"Of course, you say to do it even when the rulebook contradicts you so this sitch is a little different, but you never have let the facts stop you before so why start now?"

So I really do not know what my comments had to do with what the rulebook said, or did not say. Or better yet, any stance I have ever taken. I just think you are lame to try to tell the players this at the pregame meeting. So this was what my comments about you being a "rulebook official" was all about. But then again, I probably just made that up.

Have a great career, sensitive boy. I can see you are going to have a major problem if you cannot handle some ribbing from a guy who does not officiate in your state.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
It's been said by three different groups of evals that the horn DOES NOT make the ball dead, there MUST be a whistle.
Then there are three eval groups that are dead wrong. Unless there is a shot in the air, the horn must assuredly does cause the ball to become dead. (NF 6-7-6)
I agree with Tony. And let me add that even if there is a try in progress, the official's whistle still would not make the ball dead if blown after it was apparent that the try would be unsuccessful(you certainly wouldn't want to blow it before then). The ball would already be dead.
From what I have seen, most people do blow the whistle at the end of a quarter, but I don't like it.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You may be right, but I've heard three times today at camp that we NEED to blow the whistle, signal big and thus bring the game to a "completed close." This has been said in both two-person, and three-person. It's been said by three different groups of evals that the horn DOES NOT make the ball dead, there MUST be a whistle.
Style-wise, they may be right [and I may be crazy . . .]

Rule-wise, heck no. 6-7-6 and 5-6 cover this pretty well . . .
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 09:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Do not end up on the "why not" list.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Although a lot of people do it, there is no requirement that I know of for the official to signal the end of a period. The timer's horn causes the ball to be dead (unless a try for goal is released first). The official's whistle, then, is superfluous; and in fact, can lead participants to believe that a foul has occurred, which can just cause confusion.

If I've missed something in the manual, I'm sure others will let me know about it
You may be right, but I've heard three times today at camp that we NEED to blow the whistle, signal big and thus bring the game to a "completed close." This has been said in both two-person, and three-person. It's been said by three different groups of evals that the horn DOES NOT make the ball dead, there MUST be a whistle.

Just like many other things, there are always practices that are not specifically covered in the rulebook. This issue is not whether the ball is dead or not, but what are you instructed to do at the end of the game. And in my parts, we are also instructed to have a whistle at the end of the game, regardless of whether the ball is dead or not. But then again, this is no different than many mechanical things we are in structed to do in camp. The mechanic books do not cover every situation and every philosophy behind something you do. I just had an D1 Official tell me at his camp, "as the lead, take a look at the 3 point shooter if he is right in front of you, because if he gets hammered, you might have a better look than the Trail." He went on to say in his words, "the people that right those books and make those mechanics, do not officiate like you and I do. Because if you do not make that call, they are going to yell at you (the Lead) not the Trail."

Basically the moral of the story, who cares what someone says is right or wrong here, chances are you do not have to work with or for them. Do what your instructors tell you what to do, because that is actually how you are going to advance. If you do not do what they ask or instruct, you might be on there "why not" list.

Peace