View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 09:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Do not end up on the "why not" list.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Although a lot of people do it, there is no requirement that I know of for the official to signal the end of a period. The timer's horn causes the ball to be dead (unless a try for goal is released first). The official's whistle, then, is superfluous; and in fact, can lead participants to believe that a foul has occurred, which can just cause confusion.

If I've missed something in the manual, I'm sure others will let me know about it
You may be right, but I've heard three times today at camp that we NEED to blow the whistle, signal big and thus bring the game to a "completed close." This has been said in both two-person, and three-person. It's been said by three different groups of evals that the horn DOES NOT make the ball dead, there MUST be a whistle.

Just like many other things, there are always practices that are not specifically covered in the rulebook. This issue is not whether the ball is dead or not, but what are you instructed to do at the end of the game. And in my parts, we are also instructed to have a whistle at the end of the game, regardless of whether the ball is dead or not. But then again, this is no different than many mechanical things we are in structed to do in camp. The mechanic books do not cover every situation and every philosophy behind something you do. I just had an D1 Official tell me at his camp, "as the lead, take a look at the 3 point shooter if he is right in front of you, because if he gets hammered, you might have a better look than the Trail." He went on to say in his words, "the people that right those books and make those mechanics, do not officiate like you and I do. Because if you do not make that call, they are going to yell at you (the Lead) not the Trail."

Basically the moral of the story, who cares what someone says is right or wrong here, chances are you do not have to work with or for them. Do what your instructors tell you what to do, because that is actually how you are going to advance. If you do not do what they ask or instruct, you might be on there "why not" list.

Peace