The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Screen or Not

First off, agree with the illegal screen or not? Should this be the center's/slot's call? Does the lead have his eyes in the correct area?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

1) I think it's a pretty weak call. Technically, the screen is not stationary, but it has nothing to do with the play; there's no advantage at all.

2) Definitely should be a whistle from the C, if there's going to be a whistle.

3) I don't have a problem with the L making a call in this type of situation (although, as I said, I think was an incorrect call). There's no competitive match-up in the L's primary, so I think it's ok to expand your vision to the opposite block. In fact, he almost initiates a rotation before the ball wide.

Last edited by Scrapper1; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 09:25pm.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

The screener definitely goes wide and creates enough contact to separate his player from the defender, so I don't have a problem with the call. The center needs to have the whistle here.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
1) I think it's a pretty weak call. Technically, the screen is set, but it has nothing to do with the play; there's no advantage at all.
Just curious and learning ... so if the offensive player who is freed up by the screen gets a pass at the low block instead of an outside shot being taken, you wouldn't think advantage gained?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
if the offensive player who is freed up by the screen gets a pass at the low block instead of an outside shot being taken, you wouldn't think advantage gained?
You answered your own question, didn't you?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You answered your own question, didn't you?
I guess, but I was asking you the question since you didn't see any advantage gained. How about if the shot missed and the freed up player had the ball drop in his lap and easily scored, do you feel that an advantage was gained then too? I guess what I'm getting at is do you really wait for an obvious advantage gained on this type of play before you get it?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
First off, agree with the illegal screen or not? Should this be the center's/slot's call? Does the lead have his eyes in the correct area?
If I'm observing this game I'm finding the L on this play and asking him why he put a whistle on a play that was a good 15 feet outside of his PCA and in front of the C...especially when there were 4-5 players in the L's PCA when the whistle blew.

Was it a foul? Yes. The defender was bumped off his path and the C should've called it. However, the whole thing is blown apart for me by the L reaching that far to make a call in front of one of his partners that wasn't a felony.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
1) I think it's a pretty weak call. Technically, the screen is not stationary, but it has nothing to do with the play; there's no advantage at all.
I think that was very weak. For one the defender goes around the screen and I am not convinced the contact really had any effect on the play or was really there. If you are going to call that screen, make it be there. I should not have to look at the video several times to decide which players were fouled or if there was any contact at all.

Quote:
2) Definitely should be a whistle from the C, if there's going to be a whistle.

3) I don't have a problem with the L making a call in this type of situation (although, as I said, I think was an incorrect call). There's no competitive match-up in the L's primary, so I think it's ok to expand your vision to the opposite block. In fact, he almost initiates a rotation before the ball wide.
It seemed like to me he was looking to make an illegal screen call and stopped watching his competitive match-up that was in front of him. I guess the only way I would really be able to evaluate that call would be to see other screens in the game called or not called.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

An illegal screen, but not a big one - and no advantage gained.

I'm not even sure I'd classify that as one of those "I don't wanna see that again" calls.

I will say that the C's body language doesn't exactly say "I'm engaged and I'm on top of things". But if the L is going to poach something eight feet from his partner, it had better be something a lot more egregious than that.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

I'm not so sure the illegal screen that was called was necessarily the everyone seems to think it is. There was another screen that occurred just outside the lane on the lead's side where the defender was trying to get out to the shot. The camera angle wasn't the best to see how much contact did occur there but is it possible that was the one called? (That is the one he should have been looking at).
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 06:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
especially when there were 4-5 players in the L's PCA when the whistle blew.
We're looking at different plays! I only count 2 players in the L's primary at the whistle and they are not even engaged. There are 3 or 4 players weaving through the very top of the L's primary, but they all move through until just 2 are left when the whistle blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not so sure the illegal screen that was called was necessarily the everyone seems to think it is. There was another screen that occurred just outside the lane on the lead's side where the defender was trying to get out to the shot. The camera angle wasn't the best to see how much contact did occur there but is it possible that was the one called? (That is the one he should have been looking at).
I see it now, Camron, but there's no way that's what he called. He never once looked at that kid. In fact, he walks right past that kid, staring at the kid on the opposite side of the lane to report.

And even if that was the screen he called, it wasn't a much better call than the one on the other side of the lane.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 07:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

To me, it doesn't matter which call anyone is talking about. I don't see any illegal screen that I'd call from any position on the court.

After looking at it again, the only possible I.S. could be on 54 Red, and it's a piss-poor call, imho.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We're looking at different plays! I only count 2 players in the L's primary at the whistle and they are not even engaged. There are 3 or 4 players weaving through the very top of the L's primary, but they all move through until just 2 are left when the whistle blows.

The Lead may not have had any competitive match-ups in his primary but his secondary look should have been to help the Trail off-ball once the play moved to the Trail's primary. The C only had 3 players, he shouldn't have needed any help.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Isn't the C a little too high? Where is the L?

Regarding the screen, not a huge IS in my opinion. However, I do think I pass on too many of these.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I think you have to let the C officiate in his area on this one. I don't see anything here for which I'd reach into my partner's primary to call.