The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Then why keep posting these situations?

Seriously. If you really don't care what any of us on this board think, why keep coming here?
See, there it is. Why must you guys spin my words? Add & subtract from my statements
What "I" said was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I dont care what some guys on a message board that I have never met & havent seen me work, think of me.
I definitely care what my peers think about my situations!! I only care what God, my wife & child think of ME personally. Comprende?

To answer your question, I keep coming here because I utilize any & every outlet to gain more knowledge, wisdom & understanding of our craft.

Last edited by tref; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 10:44am.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Laser?

I also do not understand how someone can throw a "laser" from the 28' mark, "skim" off a head and not reach you in flight. Was it a laser? Did it do more than Skim?

Assuming I'm picturing this wrong, giving your description that there was no doubt what happened, I have no problem with you confronting the player.

If it was not a "laser" meaning there could be doubt if his actions were meant to show you up or injure you; then I think part of your conversation was antagonistic. "You need to be more careful..". You got your point across with the first question, I do not like the "you need" part.

If the rec league has a bunch of "idiots", then I would not give it much thought. However, if you are the "only" official that this happens to, I would give it a 10min thought asking yourself why?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
I also do not understand how someone can throw a "laser" from the 28' mark, "skim" off a head and not reach you in flight. Was it a laser? Did it do more than Skim?

Assuming I'm picturing this wrong, giving your description that there was no doubt what happened, I have no problem with you confronting the player.

If it was not a "laser" meaning there could be doubt if his actions were meant to show you up or injure you; then I think part of your conversation was antagonistic. "You need to be more careful..". You got your point across with the first question, I do not like the "you need" part.

If the rec league has a bunch of "idiots", then I would not give it much thought. However, if you are the "only" official that this happens to, I would give it a 10min thought asking yourself why?
He was at the 28' line, but also way OOB on the sideline, the teammate that got skimmed was on the court in between the arc & FT line extended. That is when the ball slowed down & changed direction, which explains the bounce before it got to me. So yes, it was a laser.

Actually out of my 10 years of experience, this is only the 2nd time a ball has been thrown at me. It just so happens that they both occured as of late. One was in a womens game & the other in a mens game, at two different locations.

Never been assaulted in a sanctioned game at any level.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 02:23pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

I definitely care what my peers think about my situations!! I only care what God, my wife & child think of ME personally. Comprende?

And yet when you post situations like these - ones that are not rules based - the discussion will inevitably turn to a "what could you have done differently" or "what did you do to make it worse" type of thing. And then you throw out comments like the ones you have made in this thread...seems kind of silly to ask for validation and then tell those who don't validate you that you don't care what they think of you.

Comprende vous??
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And yet when you post situations like these - ones that are not rules based - the discussion will inevitably turn to a "what could you have done differently" or "what did you do to make it worse" type of thing. And then you throw out comments like the ones you have made in this thread...seems kind of silly to ask for validation and then tell those who don't validate you that you don't care what they think of you.

Comprende vous??
Like.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

You got it

I used to love her because I could get different perspectives from officials all over the world. Seeing how I only like the Forum now, your wish is my command. I'll read more, post less (way less) & share my situations with friends.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I used to love her because I could get different perspectives from officials all over the world. Seeing how I only like the Forum now, your wish is my command. I'll read more, post less (way less) & share my situations with friends.
pardon my ignorance, and i'm late to the thread, but is it a league where one technical is an automatic ejection? reading the thread i haven't been able to figure out whether he was ejected because of the number of technicals or the unsporting act.

/thank you
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

4-19-4

I went with a flagrant technical for dead ball non-contact which displayed unacceptable conduct.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I went with a flagrant technical for dead ball non-contact which displayed unacceptable conduct.
Thanks...that's what i thought. It's onlyl happened to me once, by a coach, in my very first game. (non-conference jr. high boys) He fired the ball at me from 20 feet away..I caught it easily, but i'm sure i had that "deer in the headlights" look, from being so surprised. I didn't do anything, just played on. Wish I had that one back.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I've learned that the negative situations we wish we had back, makes us golden when the opportunity arises the next time because we have the experience to deal with it in a professional manner.

Tough to deal with something that we've never experienced before.
Not that we want to be fired on again, but you know what I mean
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree or disagree with me, it matters not. I dont care what some guys on a message board that I have never met & havent seen me work, think of me.
Great. Since you don't care, and therefore shouldn't be offended, here's what I think.

Every time you post one these situations, others point out how you might could have have something different. It's how many others of us here LEARN. You have chosen not to, seeming to only want to brag about how you whacked or tossed somebody. You either get the validation you're looking for or if someone disagrees with you, then they can't comprehend what they're reading or you don't care what they think. You've got a great attitude.

Not that you care what I think.

BTW, that guy must have had one helluva a mohawk for his hair to prevent you from being killed!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 04:55pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Didn't Know He Played Basketball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
That guy must have had one helluva a mohawk for his hair to prevent you from being killed!

(This is no challenge since bob jenkins took a sabbatical. I really do miss him. Seriously)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)