The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Nothing like tossing a player & them saying "hey I'm sorry but I wasnt throwing the ball at you, I was just releasing some frustration."
So what - even that warrants a T at the VERY least. Besides - if a player chooses to take out his anger in some manner, he's responsible for whatever happens due to his actions, even if unintentional.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Maybe I'm not picturing things right, but I'm not seeing any more than a possible T for what the kid said, not an ejection.
I agree ... you're not picturing things right. ") The conversation might not be ejectable on it's own - it's the actions beforehand that warranted the ejection. And while I disagree with TR trying to determine the intent of the players (I think it was ejectable regardless of intent) - the fact that he DID determine the intent, and that intent confirms that the ball-throwing was ejectable completely justifies the tossing.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm not picturing things right, but I'm not seeing any more than a possible T for what the kid said, not an ejection. You started a conversation that probably should have ended when the kid said "no" to your first question, but you kept it going, I'm sure not in the friendliest of tones. If I egg a kid into a conversation and he ends up saying something dumb, I'm feeling like I may need to eat some of the responsibility. Maybe the coach should have been the one you had a conversation with and let him handle it - or not. Just looking at it from a different angle.
Everybody has their own take, I needed validation to hand out the proper discipline. Could I have stopped at no? Yes. But I didnt because I wanted it to be clear that we weren't having anymore of THAT from him, his teammates or opponents. When he said call a better game, he basically said yeah I did throw it at you. And I felt I had the green light.

Quote:
I also wonder what's going on if you get the ball thrown at you so many times in different games. I have to wonder why this is happening to this guy. Something seems fishy about that.
IKR!! But seeing how my phone rings weekly to be given assignments as opposed to requesting them & the fact that I'm still working 4-6 nights a week, every week of the year... the people that matter most to my career obviously appreciate what I bring to the table
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IKR!! But seeing how my phone rings weekly to be given assignments as opposed to requesting them & the fact that I'm still working 4-6 nights a week, every week of the year... the people that matter most to my career obviously appreciate what I bring to the table
Well send some games to us that are only working 2-3 times a week
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Stop playin, you're on the same call lists as myself...
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Tref ...

You've got to stop wearing shirts that look like these:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps... or it could be a HTBT type of unsporting act.
Or perhaps you're not interested in anyone else's opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref
Yes, your phone is ringing off the hook...and look at that type of games you're getting.

Perhaps your phone is ringing off the hook because no one else will work these games.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Jun 12, 2012 at 08:11pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I agree ... you're not picturing things right. ") The conversation might not be ejectable on it's own - it's the actions beforehand that warranted the ejection. And while I disagree with TR trying to determine the intent of the players (I think it was ejectable regardless of intent) - the fact that he DID determine the intent, and that intent confirms that the ball-throwing was ejectable completely justifies the tossing.
And you know this because you were there?

I read the OP over again and the ball bounced after "skimming" by one of his teammate's head. I don't see how this can be having the ball thrown at you "like a laser" when it bounces before it gets to you. Based on tref's history with other situations that were actually worse, I just wonder more whether he is carrying his cockiness that he displays here into his games a bit too much. Maybe not - I don't know, but it sure seems odd that so many players are willing to vent their frustration so blatantly directly at him.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 08:03am
Official & Member

Quote:
I don't know, but it sure seems odd that so many players are willing to vent their frustration so blatantly directly at him.
...or as somebody may have alluded to...it may be the types of players in the types of games he is working.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
...or as somebody may have alluded to...it may be the types of players in the types of games he is working.
Indeed. Which is why I won't work adult rec. Not worth the $20.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Or perhaps you're not interested in anyone else's opinion.
I listened to his opinion, I heard it & I as well as others on this thread didnt agree that this situation required a group talk. I hope that is okay with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Perhaps your phone is ringing off the hook because no one else will work these games.
Perhaps, but it rings as much from Nov-March as it does now, so...

Quote:
And you know this because you were there?

I read the OP over again and the ball bounced after "skimming" by one of his teammate's head. I don't see how this can be having the ball thrown at you "like a laser" when it bounces before it gets to you. Based on tref's history with other situations that were actually worse, I just wonder more whether he is carrying his cockiness that he displays here into his games a bit too much. Maybe not - I don't know, but it sure seems odd that so many players are willing to vent their frustration so blatantly directly at him.
No he wasnt wasnt there, but he has good reading comprehension skills.
The only thing that slowed down the ball & made it change directions was the mohawk of his teammate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Who knows... this time of year I'm usually paired up with wreck refs & I notice that they want to be liked more than respected. They lean toward the safe call while I hand out Ts like they're skittles.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No he wasnt wasnt there, but he has good reading comprehension skills.
The only thing that slowed down the ball & made it change directions was the mohawk of his teammate.
So because he agrees with you, he has better reading comprehension skills than I do. Classic. This is the level of debate I'm dealing with. If you're going to get your feelings hurt when someone dares to speak against your arrogant style of handing out T's like they're Skittles, then there's really no point in posting the nonsense in the first place. If all you want is for people to agree with you, this is not the place for that.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Smitty, why you wanna be like that? You asked if he was there... I said no, he obviously read the post as it was written. Many times we put our own spin on the facts, he just used the facts given & came to the correct conclusion. That's it, no more, no less. Sorry if YOUR feelings got hurt. You read well too... when you want to

Agree or disagree with me, it matters not. I dont care what some guys on a message board that I have never met & havent seen me work, think of me.

The handing out Ts like skittles comment was made by a commentator on a game I worked.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The handing out Ts like skittles comment was made by a commentator on a game I worked.
Taste the rainbow?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 10:05am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Agree or disagree with me, it matters not. I dont care what some guys on a message board that I have never met & havent seen me work, think of me.
Then why keep posting these situations?

Seriously. If you really don't care what any of us on this board think, why keep coming here?