The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 08:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

First AAU Follies of the Off-Season

3 boys AAU games last night, probably 17U.

First game is a blow-out. Losing team player gets fouled during a 3-point try as the horn sounds. Game over. No free throws, as they would not affect the outcome of the game. Losing coach insists the kid gets to shoot his free throws. Says to me "If this was the NBA, he'd get to shoot them". All I could do was shake my head.

As soon as both teams arrive for the second game, I put 4 minutes on the clock for warm-ups (which is specifically provided in the tournament rules). Coach says the game's not scheduled to start till 7:40 and insists we put 6 minutes on the clock for warm-ups. I tell him the rules say 4 minutes, and that's what we're going with. He insists I put up 6 minutes and says he's not putting his team out on the floor till 7:40. I ask him, "Is this really how you want to start this game, fighting over 2 minutes?" He says, "Yes!" So I said, "Well, we're starting at the end of the 4 minutes. We can start with you having 5 guys on the floor, or we can start with them shooting free throws for your T." We started 5-on-5 when at the end of the 4 minutes.

Third game is close, but very low quality play. The score was 8-6 after about 9 minutes of play. Ugh. Early in the game, as the ball is live and in play, I'm Lead watching the 2 post players. B5 bends down and tries to untie A5's shoes. I have never seen this before. I was so surprised, I blew the whistle to say, "Hey, don't do that nonsense". Then realized I probably had to call something. So I T'd him up.

That wasn't even all of the crap in those games. I was very glad to get home.