The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 10:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

AAU Follies ...

For the first time, ever, my local board is assigning AAU games. For almost thirty years I have avoided such games, but as a empty nester, with some time on my hands, I decided to give it a shot for a few reasons: get in some running, stay on top of my game, see some of my buddies that I don't normally see in the off season, and make a few bucks. I'm not completely ignorant in terms of what goes on in an AAU tournament because my daughter played AAU ball for several years, and I, as a good dad, followed her team as a fan.

Bad news, as I expected: There were three games going on in the same fieldhouse. Lots of noise. Lots of whistles. Table, and benches, on one endline. Coaches allowed to coach from the sideline, the "whole" sideline. Games (sixteen minute halves, three minute halftime, three sixties, and two thirties, for timeouts, bonus on the seventh foul, double bonus on tenth foul) "scheduled" every seventy minutes. By the time my partner and I got to our assigned court for our two early afternoon games, our court was already almost forty-five minutes behind. To speed things up my partner and I decided to switch "when convenient". No real reporting area with "long distance signals" given to the table. Certainly not perfect conditions to stay on top of my mechanics. Hot gym, in the mid-eighties.

Good news, in some cases pleasant surprises: Really good basketball. One blowout game in which the kids never gave up, but played as hard as they could for the whole game. Table missed telling us, until it was too late to correct, about a bonus free throw, but otherwise did a great job of keeping time, score, fouls, and timeouts, as well as doing a pretty good job of keeping substitutes back until we beckoned them in. Coaches didn't complain about any calls, just asked a few polite questions. Parents were no more vocal than a high school game.

Overall a pretty good experience. I got in a good run. Got to make some tough calls. Made a nice double foul call to calm down two post players who decided to get into a shoving match to gain position. Saw some of my buddies that I usually only see in the winter (Boy, some of them have real ugly legs, I can't wait until the winter for some of them to start wearing long pants again). Walked out with $70.00 cash in my pocket for a few hours work. I guess that I'll be signing up for more "AAU follies".

One really interesting call. Kid makes a steal at the division line and goes in for the dunk. I guess that something distracted him because he missed the dunk. He hung onto the rim and tried, unsuccessfully, to redirect the ball into the basket. I called the technical foul. No complaints from anybody. After the game I asked the player if he knew why I called the technical foul. He replied because he hung on the rim. I told him that that really wasn't the reason. If he had just hung on the rim for a split second to allow himself to gently drop back to the court, I would have let it go, but he stayed up on the rim a little too long, thus the technical foul. He thanked me and told me that he wouldn't do that again. Nice, polite kid. Must have a good coach, and/or good parents.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 02, 2010 at 11:55am.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Bad news, as I expected: There were three games going on in the same fieldhouse. Lots of noise. Lots of whistles.
The spring league I'm working has six floors under one roof, some - but not all - separated by curtains. Yesterday, the floor I was working was one of those "open" floors. During the three games I worked, we had to stop five times because a ball from another court came onto ours, and twice our ball went onto another court. The benches (folding chairs) and the score table are back to back with an adjacent court. One kid, mad that his coach took him out, threw a towel at his chair and hit a kid on the adjacent bench in the back of his head. Fortunately, both teams thought it was funny.

Don't even get me started on whistles from the next court.

Three more this afternoon. Yesterday was HS, today MS. Oh boy!
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 12:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question Here I thought you were on the west coast.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The spring league I'm working has six floors under one roof, some - but not all - separated by curtains. Yesterday, the floor I was working was one of those "open" floors. During the three games I worked, we had to stop five times because a ball from another court came onto ours, and twice our ball went onto another court. The benches (folding chairs) and the score table are back to back with an adjacent court. One kid, mad that his coach took him out, threw a towel at his chair and hit a kid on the adjacent bench in the back of his head. Fortunately, both teams thought it was funny.

Don't even get me started on whistles from the next court.

Three more this afternoon. Yesterday was HS, today MS. Oh boy!
Sounds like we're working in the same gym!
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

3000 Miles, Endline To Endline ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Here I thought you were on the west coast.
It's a big gym. A really big gym. Scorer's table is in Kansas.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 01:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's a big gym. A really big gym. Scorer's table is in Kansas.
I don't think so. I looked around and I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Old Sun May 02, 2010, 01:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

OT - Vuja de?

Driving by the local gas station and I notice a local AAU Team is having a car wash (they even had their big trophies on display) and I thought, wouldn’t this be a nice change……

Who taught you how to wash cars?
Don’t forget to rinse the entire truck first.
Hey, you missed a spot.
Do you have enough soap in that bucket?
Don’t forget the rims.
Dry the entire vehicle, including the roof please.
I want a clean towel for this one.

Ok, I’ll admit, I drove by as my truck was pretty clean. But, it was a thought!
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

"You can't use soap like that this is AAU Washing not "Real" washing"

I've just started working some AAU in the area. I worked with a guy today who said his motto was "Have T will travel". sure enough he usually had a T or two a game, but there was no "extra curricular" stuff in his games. The games he didn't work there seemed to be a few players jawing, bumping etc. I may have to adopt that motto!

Last edited by Judtech; Sun May 02, 2010 at 05:02pm.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 07:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Driving by the local gas station and I notice a local AAU Team is having a car wash (they even had their big trophies on display) and I thought, wouldn’t this be a nice change……

Who taught you how to wash cars?
Don’t forget to rinse the entire truck first.
Hey, you missed a spot.
Do you have enough soap in that bucket?
Don’t forget the rims.
Dry the entire vehicle, including the roof please.
I want a clean towel for this one.

Ok, I’ll admit, I drove by as my truck was pretty clean. But, it was a thought!
Clean it the same at both ends.
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 07:59pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Smile Alright Gapper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Clean it the same at both ends.
Now that's funny!