The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 08:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

First AAU Follies of the Off-Season

3 boys AAU games last night, probably 17U.

First game is a blow-out. Losing team player gets fouled during a 3-point try as the horn sounds. Game over. No free throws, as they would not affect the outcome of the game. Losing coach insists the kid gets to shoot his free throws. Says to me "If this was the NBA, he'd get to shoot them". All I could do was shake my head.

As soon as both teams arrive for the second game, I put 4 minutes on the clock for warm-ups (which is specifically provided in the tournament rules). Coach says the game's not scheduled to start till 7:40 and insists we put 6 minutes on the clock for warm-ups. I tell him the rules say 4 minutes, and that's what we're going with. He insists I put up 6 minutes and says he's not putting his team out on the floor till 7:40. I ask him, "Is this really how you want to start this game, fighting over 2 minutes?" He says, "Yes!" So I said, "Well, we're starting at the end of the 4 minutes. We can start with you having 5 guys on the floor, or we can start with them shooting free throws for your T." We started 5-on-5 when at the end of the 4 minutes.

Third game is close, but very low quality play. The score was 8-6 after about 9 minutes of play. Ugh. Early in the game, as the ball is live and in play, I'm Lead watching the 2 post players. B5 bends down and tries to untie A5's shoes. I have never seen this before. I was so surprised, I blew the whistle to say, "Hey, don't do that nonsense". Then realized I probably had to call something. So I T'd him up.

That wasn't even all of the crap in those games. I was very glad to get home.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 09:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Up Every Morning And Something New Happens Every Day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
"If this was the NBA, he'd get to shoot them". All I could do was shake my head.
I would have done more than shake my head: "Coach, it's not the NBA."

Quote:
The ball is live and in play, I'm Lead watching the 2 post players. B5 bends down and tries to untie A5's shoes. I have never seen this before. I was so surprised, I blew the whistle to say, "Hey, don't do that nonsense". Then realized I probably had to call something. So I T'd him up.
I'm surprised that it took some thought to charge the technical foul. My only hesitation would have been deciding between a "regular" technical foul, and a flagrant technical foul. I probably would have gone with the former.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 12:50pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
3 boys AAU games last night, probably 17U.

First game is a blow-out. Losing team player gets fouled during a 3-point try as the horn sounds. Game over. No free throws, as they would not affect the outcome of the game. Losing coach insists the kid gets to shoot his free throws. Says to me "If this was the NBA, he'd get to shoot them". All I could do was shake my head.

As soon as both teams arrive for the second game, I put 4 minutes on the clock for warm-ups (which is specifically provided in the tournament rules). Coach says the game's not scheduled to start till 7:40 and insists we put 6 minutes on the clock for warm-ups. I tell him the rules say 4 minutes, and that's what we're going with. He insists I put up 6 minutes and says he's not putting his team out on the floor till 7:40. I ask him, "Is this really how you want to start this game, fighting over 2 minutes?" He says, "Yes!" So I said, "Well, we're starting at the end of the 4 minutes. We can start with you having 5 guys on the floor, or we can start with them shooting free throws for your T." We started 5-on-5 when at the end of the 4 minutes.

Third game is close, but very low quality play. The score was 8-6 after about 9 minutes of play. Ugh. Early in the game, as the ball is live and in play, I'm Lead watching the 2 post players. B5 bends down and tries to untie A5's shoes. I have never seen this before. I was so surprised, I blew the whistle to say, "Hey, don't do that nonsense". Then realized I probably had to call something. So I T'd him up.

That wasn't even all of the crap in those games. I was very glad to get home.
If you hadn't caught him, he'd have tied his shoes together.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:22pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would have done more than shake my head: "Coach, it's not the NBA."
+1

You'll get rule set confusion like that from time to time. I had a sixth grade rec game a few months ago: Team A scores, goes up four. Coach B requests and is granted the time out, then asks me to advance the ball after the time out.

I explain that rule only exists in the NBA, and the coach concedes, but let me know an official in his previous game allowed that for the other team.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Stooges ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
If you hadn't caught him, he'd have tied his shoes together.
Better yet. How about a good old fashioned hot foot?

Wait? Sorry. I thought this was the Baseball Forum. Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 03:38pm.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Migrant Basketball Official ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Let me know an official in his previous game allowed that for the other team.
I hear about this guy all the time here in Connecticut. Now he's working up in Maine? Man. This guy really gets around.

Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 04:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I forgot to include that I called 2 intentional fouls from behind during fast-breaks (one shirt-grab, one bear hug).

My partner called an intentional foul for fouling the inbounder. He was going to call it a technical, I had to correct him. During the free throws, I had this conversation with the coach who got the free throws.

Him: Is it a flagrant or a technical?
Me: It's an intentional personal, Coach.
[Long pause]
Him: So is that 2 foul shots or 4?
Me: [rolling eyes] Just 2, Coach.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 04:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

James 5:11 ...

Quote:
Him: Is it a flagrant or a technical?
Me: It's an intentional personal, Coach.
Him: So is that 2 foul shots or 4?
Me: Just 2, Coach.
Quality of a great basketball official: Having the patience of Job.

Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like we were on the same floor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 10:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I swear that some coaches think all of the rules are on that tournament sheet at the table.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 03:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I swear that some coaches think all of the rules are on that tournament sheet at the table.
Had a coach reach into his bag this summer to try to prove that they only got two TOs for the entire game rather than per half. He never brought it to me, though. Good thing for him that I was right.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 03:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
+1

You'll get rule set confusion like that from time to time. I had a sixth grade rec game a few months ago: Team A scores, goes up four. Coach B requests and is granted the time out, then asks me to advance the ball after the time out.

I explain that rule only exists in the NBA, and the coach concedes, but let me know an official in his previous game allowed that for the other team.
Ironically, the only time they seem to know there's a difference between the rule sets is when you count a basket after a foul.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Ironically, the only time they seem to know there's a difference between the rule sets is when you count a basket after a foul.
Huh??? What difference? (The only one I can think of is a charge after the release of a shot....counts if it does in NCAA, doesn't count in NFHS).
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Official: Score the basket, 1 FT.
coach: This isnt the NBA!

2 plays later following a timeout in the 1st half

coach: Dont we get it at halfcourt.
Official: Only in 4thQ under 2 min & its the 28' line... in the NBA!
coach: Well, when do we get to advance in HS?
Official:
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 04:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Huh??? What difference? (The only one I can think of is a charge after the release of a shot....counts if it does in NCAA, doesn't count in NFHS).
That's why I said "ironically," because they pick the one rule where it's the same and claim "we're not in the NBA." Then, they want traveling called when the shooter catches his airball, they want the ball advanced after a TO, or they want some other NBA rule to be applied.