The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I am indeed talking about a two-whistle game. That's insane to me that any federation would want the T to stand tableside on FTs in a two-whistle setting.

Forget putting yourself in the line of fire of barking coaches. You'll get your share throughout the game regardless of where you're positioned. But having your back turned to the scorer and all of the subs is just stupid.
I personally like going tableside...the not being able to see subs/scorer situation is a non issue, because all one had to do is peek over the shoulder to see what needs to be seen and if you miss anything, there's nothing stopping the lead official from beckoning subs in. Texas has been going tableside in two man even before NFHS went to the mechanic.

As far as talking to coaches, I'd rather deal with coaches near me with a quiet word, then have a coach try and yell across the court. When NCAA-M moved their officials opposite after foul calls, I noticed (at least for TV games) that this happened a lot more often.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 07:55am
Archaic Power Monger

Going tableside is all I know but I don't see the big deal about it. It is very rare I've had a coach get to the point of getting T'd up as a result of me being tableside and I think he would have gotten himself stuck anyways.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Going tableside is all I know but I don't see the big deal about it. It is very rare I've had a coach get to the point of getting T'd up as a result of me being tableside and I think he would have gotten himself stuck anyways.
Likewise...on it being all I've known and never really having issues with coaches.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I am indeed talking about a two-whistle game. That's insane to me that any federation would want the T to stand tableside on FTs in a two-whistle setting.

Forget putting yourself in the line of fire of barking coaches. You'll get your share throughout the game regardless of where you're positioned. But having your back turned to the scorer and all of the subs is just stupid.
I happen to prefer being table side as the calling official. We did that for a couple of years in three-man, but too many officials engaged the coaches too much rather than just when they needed to. I preferred it because it gave the coach a chance to ask the proper questions without yelling or delaying the game during free throws.

As for the T doing subs table-side. That's how it's done with three, and it's not a problem. Take a quick look before and after the last FT, then your eyes are on the play anyway. I don't think it's any harder to take one last glance from either side of the court after the final FT is made.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm teaching mine to signal "T". She's almost there and I think she has the ejection mechanic down more or less.
I'll bet she already knows the coach's mechanic for "what was that?"
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'll bet she already knows the coach's mechanic for "what was that?"
Arms extended out perpendicular to the body, palms up, exasperated look on her face? Not quite yet...give her another year or so.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As for the T doing subs table-side. That's how it's done with three, and it's not a problem. Take a quick look before and after the last FT, then your eyes are on the play anyway. I don't think it's any harder to take one last glance from either side of the court after the final FT is made.
Except in 2-man the Trail is supposed to be down watching the free throw shooter and a lot of officials stay way up high to deal with subs and never get down to where they belong.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 05:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Except in 2-man the Trail is supposed to be down watching the free throw shooter and a lot of officials stay way up high to deal with subs and never get down to where they belong.
Well that's just poor coaching.