The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I've got another ref question that I'm not sure is in the rulebook or not...

Is there any type of rule stating anything about a player yelling when another player is in process of taking a shot? as if saying "heyyyyyyyyyy" when they attempt the shot? maybe it's just bad sportsmanship???

Or is there any rule in the book stating anything about when a player is attempting a shot, and the defender runs at that player's legs, but never touches them? i've seen refs warn players for this, but i'm not sure what the warning is for? the player is not touching them, but may look like he's about to take the shooter's legs out from under him... or is it a sportsmanship call?
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Short of the player yelling something unsporting, no there's nothing wrong with that tactic. And no there's nothing wrong with a player running at a player's leg without making contact.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

To add a bit to APG's answer

On a free throw, yelling during the shot can be judged as disconcertion. This is a violation that would give the shooter a replacement free throw if the original shot misses.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:21am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
To add a bit to APG's answer

On a free throw, yelling during the shot can be judged as disconcertion. This is a violation that would give the shooter a replacement free throw if the original shot misses.

Yelling, by an opponent, during a free throw attempt IS disconcertion.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed May 16, 2012 at 07:40pm. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

As described, I have disconcertion.

As for "running at the legs" I suppose you could go with a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct, but it's a real stretch.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

thanks.. all great answers
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
As for "running at the legs" I suppose you could go with a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct, but it's a real stretch.
I'd like to see that & I would LOVE to hear the explaination to the coach!
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 04:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
As described, I have disconcertion.
As described in the original post? Or as described in the responses that narrowed "shot" down to "free throw"?

If you are saying you are going to call disconcertion on a shot, what is your rule basis?
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
As described in the original post? Or as described in the responses that narrowed "shot" down to "free throw"?

If you are saying you are going to call disconcertion on a shot, what is your rule basis?
Rule 11 of course, the same rule used to stick a defender for running at a shooters legs, minus any contact
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 04:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Rule 11 of course, the same rule used to stick a defender for running at a shooters legs, minus any contact
Kinda scary, isn't it?!!?
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Thought That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoHristo View Post
Is there any type of rule stating anything about a player yelling when another player is in process of taking a shot?
I hate it when players do this. I believe that it's unsporting, but I have yet to find a casebook play, or an official, including myself, who would charge an unsporting technical foul on such a play. Similar situation with the, "Ball. Ball. Ball.", or "Dead. Dead. Dead.", chant that many of us hear in our games, usually, for whatever reason, girls games.

A few years ago in a scrimmage, I did warn a player who was defending the inbounder yelling, with a rapid cadence, "One. Two. Three ...". His coach asked me about it. I told the coach that I believed that the yelling was unsporting because it was trying to influence my "real" count. The coach accepted that, which kind of surprised me. I thought that he would come back at me with something like, "I've never seen that call before.", or "I've never seen that in a rulebook". He just told his player to, "Cut it out". I wish that all my conversations with coaches went as smoothly as that one, especially since I pulled the "counting" interpretation out of my a**, and really didn't have anything to back me up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 06:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I hate it when players do this. I believe that it's unsporting, but I have yet to find a casebook play, or an official, including myself, who would charge an unsporting technical foul on such a play. Similar situation with the, "Ball. Ball. Ball.", or "Dead. Dead. Dead.", chant that many of us hear in our games, usually, for whatever reason, girls games.

A few years ago in a scrimmage, I did warn a player who was defending the inbounder yelling, with a rapid cadence, "One. Two. Three ...". His coach asked me about it. I told the coach that I believed that the yelling was unsporting because it was trying to influence my "real" count. The coach accepted that, which kind of surprised me. I thought that he would come back at me with something like, "I've never seen that call before.", or "I've never seen that in a rulebook". He just told his player to, "Cut it out". I wish that all my conversations with coaches went as smoothly as that one, especially since I pulled the "counting" interpretation out of my a**, and really didn't have anything to back me up.
There's no way I'm letting a defender count out loud. It's unsporting, deceptive, and an attempt to influence the officials' decision. Pick a reason.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There's no way I'm letting a defender count out loud. It's unsporting, deceptive, and an attempt to influence the officials' decision. Pick a reason.
We do have options on that act don't we.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Not unsporting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I'd like to see that & I would LOVE to hear the explaination to the coach!
Well, I had a situation several years ago where a defender occasionally would lower his head and fake as if to head-butt the airborne shooter in the groin sometimes causing the shooter to alter his shot. I told the player I considered that unsportsmanlike and it would be a T if done again. The head coach protested there is nothing in the rules prohibiting a player from doing that. I replied the action is clearly unsportsmanlike and any coach who teaches or allows his players to do that shouldn't be coaching. End of discussion and end of that tactic. I don't know if "running at the legs" is the same thing but it certainly isn't what most coaches would teach their players to do.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Well, I had a situation several years ago where a defender occasionally would lower his head and fake as if to head-butt the airborne shooter in the groin sometimes causing the shooter to alter his shot. I told the player I considered that unsportsmanlike and it would be a T if done again. The head coach protested there is nothing in the rules prohibiting a player from doing that. I replied the action is clearly unsportsmanlike and any coach who teaches or allows his players to do that shouldn't be coaching. End of discussion and end of that tactic. I don't know if "running at the legs" is the same thing but it certainly isn't what most coaches would teach their players to do.
I like the call in your situation & how you handled it!

This situation is when a defender too late to defend the try so they run at the shooter & generally keep running down the court for a quick outlet if the try in unsuccessful. I'm sure you've seen it