The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

travelling question

hi everybody!

we had an argue on the playground (playing in spain so no nba rules)...

here is the situation:

i am dribbling to the basket and land on both feet simultaneously while catching the ball in the air...so according to NCAA rules (and the FIBA rules as well, as i understand) i can choose my pivot foot freely...therefore it is my understanding of the rules that i can take another step with either foot, jump off this step and release the ball for a field goal attempt before the (now chosen) pivot foot returns to the floor...

just wanted to know if that's correct...

thanks a lot!!
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Legal in FIBA and other codes as well.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
hi everybody!

we had an argue on the playground (playing in spain so no nba rules)...

here is the situation:

i am dribbling to the basket and land on both feet simultaneously while catching the ball in the air...so according to NCAA rules (and the FIBA rules as well, as i understand) i can choose my pivot foot freely...therefore it is my understanding of the rules that i can take another step with either foot, jump off this step and release the ball for a field goal attempt before the (now chosen) pivot foot returns to the floor...

just wanted to know if that's correct...

thanks a lot!!
I made a video demonstating the jump stop , pivot foot and traveling. Let me know if this helps
Jump stop rule - YouTube
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
I made a video demonstating the jump stop , pivot foot and traveling. Let me know if this helps
Jump stop rule - YouTube
hello,

thanks for the link, however the situation i described is not shown there...

catch the ball with both feet in the air while dribbling, landing on both feet simultaneously and THEN making a step forward (say with the left foot) moving then the right foot off the floor, jump up using the standing left foot and shoot or pass before the right foot returns to the floor...
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
hello,

catch the ball with both feet in the air while dribbling, landing on both feet simultaneously and THEN making a step forward (say with the left foot) moving then the right foot off the floor, jump up using the standing left foot and shoot or pass before the right foot returns to the floor...
Here's your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Legal in FIBA and other codes as well.
In the end, it's just like stopping your dribble with both feet on the floor.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

JR had it right...the move you described is legal under all rule sets, though I would say that move would be called a travel 9/10 times while playing pick up ball or would be erroneously called a travel by inexperience officials because it looked "weird."
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
JR had it right...the move you described is legal under all rule sets, though I would say that move would be called a travel 9/10 times while playing pick up ball or would be erroneously called a travel by inexperience officials because it looked "weird."
The step through move drives coaches and fans crazy. I had a coach go nuts last weekend on an awkward, but legal, step through where the pivot never came back down. He ran from one end of the bench to the other, chasing my partner (old trail new lead), giving the traveling signal. I got myself in front of him right after that and told him in no uncertain terms that he didn't want to pull that stunt again. He'd hadn't said a word to us for the first three quarters of the game, or I would have stuck him without a word.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
hello,

What about the move starting at about 1:25 on video , same scenerio, catches ball (or ends dribble with both feet off floor (not a very high jump) and then does what I call "step thru move"
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Had a 6'6" player doing the drop step move successfully in a mens league last night. The opponents wanted travels all night!! I agreed with them that it looks funny, but told them it was legal. I told them it looks unfamiliar to them because its usually done in womens games.
The guy doing the move didnt like that too much
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

thanks guys for all of your replies so far...

so to ultimately clarify, the guys in this video is wrong saying its a travel when you dont jump off both feet simultaneously:

Combo Move, Shot Fake/Step Through

my min point is that you can of course jump much farther and hence do this move further away from the basket if you take a step and jump of this step after coming to a stop on both feet simultaneously..(i guess thats why it seems like traveling to so many people..)

thanks for all the clarifications!
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thanks guys for all of your replies so far...

so to ultimately clarify, the guys in this video is wrong saying its a travel when you dont jump off both feet simultaneously:

Combo Move, Shot Fake/Step Through

my min point is that you can of course jump much farther and hence do this move further away from the basket if you take a step and jump of this step after coming to a stop on both feet simultaneously..(i guess thats why it seems like traveling to so many people..)

thanks for all the clarifications!
In this video you have to consider a couple of things to say if these are legal moves. First when watching in full speed I would not call any of these moves a travel.
1st thing to consider: are they ending the dribble(i.e gathering ball with 2 hands) with both feet off of floor or with one foot on floor. If they gather with one foot on floor and jump off of this foot and land simultneously on 2 feet then they would not be allowed to pivot.
2nd thing: if you gather the ball in air and land on 2 feet simultaneously you have not established a pivot foot until you lift one foot. The foot that stays on the floor becomes pivot foot.
3rd: with pivot foot on floor you can step with opposite foot , lift pivot foot, but ball must be released with shot or pass before pivot foot is returned to floor(this is step thru move). You cannot start dribble this way

As far as video , I could pause it and see where the player gathers ball with one foot on floor,jumps to 2 feet , and pivots but it happens so fast in live action I don't think any good referee would call this.
I don't agree that you have to jump off of both feet if you have a pivot foot as he said in video. Also I think on most of there moves they jumped off of front foot and lifted back foot(pivot foot) although pivot foot was only barely off of floor( pause video at 46 seconds). It is almost impossible to have feet staggered and jump forward without lifting backfoot first. Try it.

Last edited by jump stop; Thu May 10, 2012 at 07:20am.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Gathering the ball while in the air while dribbling on the run is a myth. Basketball players end their dribble with one foot on the ground when they are moving and dribbling. You do not need two hands to end a dribble. Saying they are 'in the air while dribbling' allows players illegal travels often resulting in scoring plays by giving the offensive player an extra step or undeserved foul call.

Years ago, players from Europe would play in the US and do this all of the time and be called for travel. Now we allow it in the US. Our game has turned into the European game with 3 step travels, holding, jump stops into pivots. Movement and flow has changed to grab and hold and isolations.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Gathering the ball while in the air while dribbling on the run is a myth. Basketball players end their dribble with one foot on the ground when they are moving and dribbling. You do not need two hands to end a dribble. Saying they are 'in the air while dribbling' allows players illegal travels often resulting in scoring plays by giving the offensive player an extra step or undeserved foul call.

Years ago, players from Europe would play in the US and do this all of the time and be called for travel. Now we allow it in the US. Our game has turned into the European game with 3 step travels, holding, jump stops into pivots. Movement and flow has changed to grab and hold and isolations.
Gotta disagree with you...at least with your first paragraph in part. First off, it's quite easy to gather the ball while both feet are off the floor on the run...that's occurs on run of the mill, basic lay-ups that kids are thought in 3rd-4th grade. No one is saying a player has to have two hands on the ball to have gathered the ball, but for the majority of plays, it's the de facto point at which the dribble has ended and makes for a clear delineation point to help determine the pivot foot.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 14, 2012, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

thanks everybody for the repsonses...

i'll continue using that move (and probably continue being called for traveling on the playground as well :-) )

on a last question (after having watched the euroleague final four this weekend)...

does it just seem to me or is there an intense amount of traveling by the guards when running and catching the ball outside the perimeter? the first foot that touches the floor is supposed to be the pivot, right? yet they almost always take the next step and then pivot with the second foot...is that just to hard to see or do they really on gain control on the ball after the second step lands on the floor?