The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Issuing a Technical

Okay tonight I had a varsity boys game, 2 man mechanics. A10 had already picked up one technical from my partner in the 1st half (20 minute running clock). Mid way through the second half I have a standard call on A10, nothing which I felt was even noteworthy.

Coach A gets ready to sub him out. I'm at half court and A10 is walking off the court. From the 3 point line to half court, where I was he is just staring at me. He walks past me and his head turns and he still is staring at me, I could see it out of my peripheral. I turn and deliver his second T.

Coach asked the player what he said, player said "nothing". I said "he stared at me coach." After the Technical, I decided to give coach a little more explanation because he told his players not to look at me anymore.

I told the coach, "You know I'm not oversensitive, coach, but your player took 10 steps and stared me down the whole way, he wanted that T." Coach said "you're right."

But I'm wondering honestly...even though this is HTBT moment, was I a little too thin skinned? I seldom question my technicals, but this one I am.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Okay tonight I had a varsity boys game, 2 man mechanics. A10 had already picked up one technical from my partner in the 1st half (20 minute running clock). Mid way through the second half I have a standard call on A10, nothing which I felt was even noteworthy.

Coach A gets ready to sub him out. I'm at half court and A10 is walking off the court. From the 3 point line to half court, where I was he is just staring at me. He walks past me and his head turns and he still is staring at me, I could see it out of my peripheral. I turn and deliver his second T.

Coach asked the player what he said, player said "nothing". I said "he stared at me coach." After the Technical, I decided to give coach a little more explanation because he told his players not to look at me anymore.

I told the coach, "You know I'm not oversensitive, coach, but your player took 10 steps and stared me down the whole way, he wanted that T." Coach said "you're right."

But I'm wondering honestly...even though this is HTBT moment, was I a little too thin skinned? I seldom question my technicals, but this one I am.
Did you feel as though he was trying to intimidate you? If the answer is "yes" don't question yourself.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Did you feel as though he was trying to intimidate you? If the answer is "yes" don't question yourself.
Thanks. I have no doubt he was trying to intimidate me.

Maybe I question my initial explanation...I was too brief perhaps and I felt when coach told his players not to look at me that I had sent the wrong message.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Even the coach agreed with you after the explanation. Assuming he was sincere, why question yourself. If the coach agrees with you, it seems like a solid call.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

exact situation on the interweb. 2000 nba playoffs, a younger Ron Garretson "Whack! Get out!" to Rasheed Wallace. Staring and trying to intimidate. Outstanding!!

Funny Rasheed Wallace Ejection - YouTube
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 07:34am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Righteous T.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even the coach agreed with you after the explanation. Assuming he was sincere, why question yourself. If the coach agrees with you, it seems like a solid call.
I wasn't so sure he was sincere, but this morning I'm feeling you are correct. He said it straight faced and didn't say anything afterwards so I shouldn't try to figure out if he was sincere.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
exact situation on the interweb. 2000 nba playoffs, a younger Ron Garretson "Whack! Get out!" to Rasheed Wallace. Staring and trying to intimidate. Outstanding!!

Funny Rasheed Wallace Ejection - YouTube

I didn't have a "Whack" though...I also liked how he explained it much better. I should have used the word intimidate because that's what the kid was trying to do.

Thanks for posting
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

"Whack, get out... get away from me Steve!"

Funny stuff
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I have to think other players on the floor were well aware of what was going on and measuring your reaction. I'd T him without thinking twice.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

It takes two . . .

I would never know if a player was staring at me for ten steps, because I never spend that much time looking at them Maybe, that's why you're questioning the T . . .
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Look at me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I would never know if a player was staring at me for ten steps, because I never spend that much time looking at them Maybe, that's why you're questioning the T . . .
Good point, I think Sheed got 3 steps before the hammer was dropped.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Considering this is summer ball or off-season type ball, I would not put up with much crap. This time should be to teach kids how to play, not tell you how to do your job. I have a much shorter fuse for these games in general. They are not paying me enough and there is not the same structure. We allow other things to do so these kids can play, I am not taking their crap as a result.

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Maybe your second explanation should have been your first explanation, but other than that, there really isn't anything you could have done differently. It was deserved, you gave it, and there were no more problems from A-10. Chances are that the coach has not had a dreamy time at practice with this kid.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Coach, I felt he was trying to intimidate me."

When a player (or coach) engages in the silent stare down, they risk the officials' reactions and they know it. They hope to be able to respond with "but I didn't say anything."

Nice job, Toren.