Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 03, 2012, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Numbers, please . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
It seems like years ago in high school the home team wore even numbers not higher than ending with the digit 4, and the visiting team wore odd numbers not ending higher than the digit 5. I suppose it had something to do with the numbers of fingers on each hand. I guess you couldn't ref if your nickname was Nubsy back in the day:..................

I remember in an old yearbook photo before my time, the players wore 11, 22, 33, etc.
In the sixties, we wore evens at home and odds on the road. It was said to help the officials get the calls right -- I guess the full calf-covering socks, all of which had to match for members of each team, were worn for the same reason.
Old Fri May 04, 2012, 12:43pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
In the sixties, we wore evens at home and odds on the road. It was said to help the officials get the calls right -- I guess the full calf-covering socks, all of which had to match for members of each team, were worn for the same reason.
We wore baseball leggings with the socks over them. Had that in football, too. Those things never stayed up, hence the white tape job. I remember when the NFL wouldn't let players wear the white tape, so they had to wear the clear tape they use for taping shipping boxes. I never understood that rule.