The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Numbers ?

Well I'm sure you guys have covered this before but maybe I am missing something around player numbers.

I know that the players are required to numbers. It seems to be able to identify them. Is there anywhere in the ASA rulebook that I haven't looked that describes the penalties for say incorrect numbers, players changing numbers or anytime a number issue has a penalty ?

Most of the stuff I've read says correct the line up and move on ?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA:

Quote:
3-6: Sleeves or straps of the uniform top may be adjusted, with or without tie-ups, to the comfort of the players, provided uniform numbers remain visible.
Quote:
3-6-D: An Arabic whole number (0-99) of contrasting color, or outlined in contrasting color, at least six inches high must be worn and visible on the back of all uniform shirts. No players on the same team may wear identical numbers. Players without numbers will not be permitted to play. There is no penalty for a player wearing a wrong number or a duplicate number. Correct the number in the score book or have the player(s) change jerseys in case of duplication, and continue play.
Quote:
4-1-A-1: (Place in context of the line-up inspection) If a wrong number is on the line-up, correct it and continue playing with no penalty.
And then, there's the Blood Rule...

Quote:
4-9: ...Uniform rule violations will not be enforced if a uniform change is required...
The whole point is to encourage participation, not to get tied up in a nit-picking battle over something as simple as a number.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 10:34am.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Had a game last night where both of the idiots, I mean coaches, submitted line ups with incorrect line ups to mess with each other.

the only fun part was partner and I got to eject 3 coaches total....Fun,fun on a Saturday night at the ole ballpark....
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Had a game last night where both of the idiots, I mean coaches, submitted line ups with incorrect line ups to mess with each other.

the only fun part was partner and I got to eject 3 coaches total....Fun,fun on a Saturday night at the ole ballpark....
If it's clear that the coaches are doing it to monkey with each other, then yes, dump them! They are acting in an unsportsmanlike manner, and an ejection is warranted. If caught before the game, do not accept the line-ups. Nominate new coaches/managers, and make them redo the line-ups. If caught after the game's start, simply correct the line-ups at no other penalty (after dumping the coaches, of course!).

Of course, if it's just a rec league and the coaches are doing it just for a chuckle (like Barney Rubble is batting clean-up), then go along with it... and then get new line-ups.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

This season I ended up in the semi-finals in Holland with an assistant coach who (proudly!) wore the 00. When I told him to change his uniform because 00 is only for the bat-boy(s) (M/F), he was truely shocked!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I would be shocked if any of the coaches in my games wore a uniform. Of course, if he wanted to change jobs and be the batboy...

And my own dressing room?

Umpiring in Holland sounds fun.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
...Umpiring in Holland sounds fun....
It still is! However...
the grass on the otherside (or ocean) is allways greener than home:

- In the Neth.'s are all umpires amateur, which means we all have a full-time job and umpire for the love of the sport. The only money we make is a km-cost (Euro 0,20/km).
- We have a short competition; 36-50 games a year (period april-september), mostly on saturday's.
- It is often cold in the first and last month's, rain-outs during the whole summer.
- US-pitchers dominating the competition and errors by dutch fielders...
- Coaches who don't know the rules, which makes thing interesting (and Í'm told you have this same "problem").

If you truly want to work your games here, find Larry White, Doug Zimmerman or Sonny Pompilii. They worked one or more editions IndoorCup at Schiedam. From there you might find the way to our competition...

Old Tue Oct 28, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I would be shocked if any of the coaches in my games wore a uniform. Of course, if he wanted to change jobs and be the batboy...

And my own dressing room?

Umpiring in Holland sounds fun.
Umpiring over there IS a lot of fun, Seth. From Alex's list, Sonny is headed back in 2009, I think Doug & I are going again in 2010, and I don't know whether Larry is headed back.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Umpiring over there IS a lot of fun, Seth. From Alex's list, Sonny is headed back in 2009, I think Doug & I are going again in 2010, and I don't know whether Larry is headed back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
If you truly want to work your games here, find Larry White, Doug Zimmerman or Sonny Pompilii. They worked one or more editions IndoorCup at Schiedam. From there you might find the way to our competition...
Yes, I've forgotten Steve! Sorry!!!

Old Wed Oct 29, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
It still is! However...
the grass on the other side (or ocean) is allways greener than home:

...- It is often cold in the first and last month's, rain-outs during the whole summer...
...- Coaches who don't know the rules, which makes thing interesting
so much for going over to get a change of pace from Seattle. Actually I would love to go over there. My progenitors fled to what became New Netherlands (and later New York) from Deventer.