The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Foul resulting in Rajon Rondo ejection

Thoughts on the foul vs. jump ball with 3.3 left on shot clock in Celtics vs. Hawks game? Hate the former player announcers...big surprise they want a jump ball.

Ejection absolutely and hope Rajon gets another game suspension.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

The play in question and subsequent ejection:

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Ah the double tap and heave ho. Well handled IMO.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

As for the foul, I didn't have a problem with it. It appears as though Bass hits the opponent in the face. Players and announcers erroneously think that a loose ball is carte blanche for any and all contact. The subsequent technical fouls issued by Marc Davis were about as easy as they come.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sun Apr 29, 2012 at 09:56pm.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Great call, the end result looked like a held ball but there was headlock prior to that. Shaq & Chuck felt as though he should've tailored the call to the time of year, score & shot clock... obviously the League doesn't teach or support that.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

The first T for barking at the ref...good call.

At first I felt the 2nd T was perhaps a bit quick...until they showed the 2nd camera angle where he was still going at him and the bump....automatic.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

In an interview with Rondo on ESPN Rondo even admitted he deserved the first technical but that he did not mean to bump into the official and that he tripped over the officials foot as you can see is what happened in the final camera angle. I can give him the benefit of the doubt over tripping a little bit in this case but players chest bumping officials like that is a definite toss.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
In an interview with Rondo on ESPN Rondo even admitted he deserved the first technical but that he did not mean to bump into the official and that he tripped over the officials foot as you can see is what happened in the final camera angle. I can give him the benefit of the doubt over tripping a little bit in this case but players chest bumping officials like that is a definite toss.
Even if that is the case, he should not have been there to bump the official at all. And I am sure it did not help based on what he was saying to the official either. The bump was obvious to us, but not necessarily what was said as well.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Even if that is the case, he should not have been there to bump the official at all. And I am sure it did not help based on what he was saying to the official either. The bump was obvious to us, but not necessarily what was said as well.

Peace
And I'm not convinced the bump was completely accidental. He was stable for a moment after the trip then continued forward one more step. I think he's bargaining for the smallest additional penalty (if any).
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And I'm not convinced the bump was completely accidental. He was stable for a moment after the trip then continued forward one more step. I think he's bargaining for the smallest additional penalty (if any).
I do not buy that he tripped at all. And I do not see the league caring if it was accidental or not. He should not have been in his face in the first place.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:43am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Good calls all around on this play.

Well handled too. The referee took care of business.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Saw this lovely quote in the comments to the Yahoo! article:

Quote:
He did trip over the ref's foot but he had no business getting in the ref's face and being that close to the ref in the first place. Gotta keep your composure during close games, especially during the playoffs. Rondo might be watching a few games with Metta World Problems.
Where's the Like button?
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 04:31am
Back from the DL

Some of my fellow Celtic fans are calling Rondo "our version of Metta." A bit of an overstatement, IMO, but anyway...

Easy foul on Bass. I can't understand what Rondo was protesting, let alone getting to the point of getting whacked. I've seen worse bumps than that, but all Rondo had to do was back off to prevent the situation altogether.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 08:36am
Stop staring at me swan.

He bumped him and it was intentional. There's nothing there to suggest anything that Rondo stated.

Boston Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Recap - April 29, 2012 - ESPN
Old Mon Apr 30, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I'll agree

with everyone else. This was handled correctly and in the only way possible, imo. Rondo wasn't even involved in the play...it had nothing to do with him, he needs to shut up and stay out of it. Reminds me of the guy in a pick up game that thinks he's got to call some foul or out of bounds play well away from himself. AND... these former players, now commentators, are really starting to get on my nerves. Maybe that's what the networks want. I think it would be cool if a former official (and sometimes they do this) would sit in between Barkley and Shaq and give 'em their side of incidents like this. I could fully see Barkley doing exactly what Rondo did back in his playing days and not be apolegetic about it at all. I also agree with whomever else here said that some of these guys think a loose ball is just a free for all, and all rules are set aside. I believe the initial foul was called on Bass for basically just diving on top of the Hawk player that momentarily had the ball. Easy call, as has already been stated by many. Has Rondo's suspension been determined yet?