The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Unless you live in Central Illinois and you live in my home town then you could not have worked with me that much. Maybe we have worked together but do not exaggerate what we have done on the court.

Peace
I'm guessing he's speaking metaphorically.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 02:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

The most prevelant example of players faking be fouled are 3-point shooters who fling themselves to the ground when the defender breathes on them.

How many of you "call the T and flopping will stop" grandstanders have ever called a T for it?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The most prevelant example of players faking be fouled are 3-point shooters who fling themselves to the ground when the defender breathes on them.

How many of you "call the T and flopping will stop" grandstanders have ever called a T for it?
I understand where you're going & I seriously doubt guys are whacking players for that. Many people feel that the acting 3 point shooter put himself in a bad defensive position by laying down & that is penalty enough as everyone is headed the other way.
Cant blame the player for trying, they know if the covering official is watching the flight of the ball, they might get that call. Smart players!

IMO bodies down in the paint is of more concern than a shooter down at the arc.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Fabricating is making up something that didnt occur.
Exaggerating is stetching something that did occur.

IJS
They're fabricating the FOUL. If you don't call the foul, then it, by definition, didn't occur.
They're exaggerating the CONTACT (which may or may not be a foul).

The rule involves faking a foul. If they actively do something for the purpose of making you think there was a foul and there was no foul, then they have faked the foul.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 03:19pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Making the statement "call the T and flopping will stop" doesn't mean I'm going to call it. It just means that I believe that if you were to call the T, the flopping would stop.....and it would.

However, I'm not going out there and calling a different game than my peers even if I believe it would solve a problem and make the game better. I don't care to be a pioneer by enforcing a rule that no one else enforces.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 03:19pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Again problem is solved if you simply do not call anything. I have told player their acting usually makes me think they were not fouled. Either way the message is sent.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again problem is solved if you simply do not call anything. I have told player their acting usually makes me think they were not fouled. Either way the message is sent.

Peace
Not really... because sometimes they're successful. You might be able to talk them out of continuing that night, but they'll be back at it the next night.

If they're successful once out of several times and there is no penalty for the times they're unsuccessful, there is no deterrence. Why not keep trying. Eventually they'll hook one.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 05:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not really... because sometimes they're successful. You might be able to talk them out of continuing that night, but they'll be back at it the next night.

If they're successful once out of several times and there is no penalty for the times they're unsuccessful, there is no deterrence. Why not keep trying. Eventually they'll hook one.
So all the times you here "and 1" you see a call made? Isn't that a way to suggest you were fouled?

It is one thing to get one benefit but it is another to try something that barely works. I get it, flopping or embellishing works from time to time. But it often does not work with experienced officials. And at most youth levels kids are not skilled enough to do it effectively. Even college players are not very skilled to do it successfully. This is one of the reasons for years you would see no calls for this and we would complain that train wreaks were not being called at higher levels.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So all the times you here "and 1" you see a call made? Isn't that a way to suggest you were fouled?

It is one thing to get one benefit but it is another to try something that barely works. I get it, flopping or embellishing works from time to time. But it often does not work with experienced officials. And at most youth levels kids are not skilled enough to do it effectively. Even college players are not very skilled to do it successfully. This is one of the reasons for years you would see no calls for this and we would complain that train wreaks were not being called at higher levels.

Peace
Of course not. A statement ("and 1") is not an action. It is asking for a foul. It is not making it appear there was one.

I see enough flops get a call that it is an issue. It would not be in the spotlight as much as it is right now if it were not an issue...even at the top levels.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 07:54pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless you live in Central Illinois and you live in my home town then you could not have worked with me that much. Maybe we have worked together but do not exaggerate what we have done on the court.

Peace
Jeff u live in the Wheaton-area (i live in suburban chicago too), we've attended the same college camps together (even drove together in the same car!), we've worked college games together, we work for the same college/HS assignors, you would recognize my name/face/etc in a second.

I would NEVER think of working games in Central Ill (no matter how they much paid!)...but I know your family lives there so it makes sense for you.

Your love of Michigan is a little much for me, but it's better than being a Hoosier!!!!

btw....I literally know you (and u know me) not metaphorically (it amazes me what so people on this forum create in their own minds).
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 08:30pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Jeff u live in the Wheaton-area (i live in suburban chicago too), we've attended the same college camps together (even drove together in the same car!), we've worked college games together, we work for the same college/HS assignors, you would recognize my name/face/etc in a second.

I would NEVER think of working games in Central Ill (no matter how they much paid!)...but I know your family lives there so it makes sense for you.

Your love of Michigan is a little much for me, but it's better than being a Hoosier!!!!

btw....I literally know you (and u know me) not metaphorically (it amazes me what so people on this forum create in their own minds).
You do realize that Jeff goes by his real name, while you don't - and have no other info about yourself given in your profile. So how is he supposed to recognize you???
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 09:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Of course not. A statement ("and 1") is not an action. It is asking for a foul. It is not making it appear there was one.

I see enough flops get a call that it is an issue. It would not be in the spotlight as much as it is right now if it were not an issue...even at the top levels.
So if officials are not recognizing flops and subsequently calling fouls on the opposing players how will calling T's help?

What's really at the core of the problem, refs who don't penalize flops or refs who are not properly ref'n the defense in order to properly judge the play?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 09:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
You do realize that Jeff goes by his real name, while you don't - and have no other info about yourself given in your profile. So how is he supposed to recognize you???
And everything he said is common knowledge. You do not have to be a close friend or ride in a car to know that.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if officials are not recognizing flops and subsequently calling fouls on the opposing players how will calling T's help?

What's really at the core of the problem, refs who don't penalize flops or refs who are not properly ref'n the defense in order to properly judge the play?
Officials ARE recognizing the flops but are not calling the T's. Why? Probably because no one wants to be the only one to do so or they feel the penalty is too harsh...I've suggested a lessor penalty for a flop in the past. Plus, many officials have an aversion to calling T's even when deserved.

Even if you properly referee the defense, you can get fooled by a flop.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Officials ARE recognizing the flops but are not calling the T's. Why? Probably because no one wants to be the only one to do so or they feel the penalty is too harsh...I've suggested a lessor penalty for a flop in the past. Plus, many officials have an aversion to calling T's even when deserved.

Even if you properly referee the defense, you can get fooled by a flop.
Or could it be that the rule is not very well defined?

We cannot even agree what a flop is and the rule does us that language at all as a description for what we are talking about. If the Rules Committees want this to be called they could define the rule much clearer than they have previously. Did anyone think pulling out a jersey was an unsportsmanlike act until the rule added that action as illegal?

Peace