The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 09:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Judgment? Certainly. We have to know for sure that deception is taking place.

Interpretation? Not really. If you see and conclude judge that deceptive practices are taking place, what more do you need?
Like I said, it is an individual's interpretation of what "faking being fouled" means.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 09:26pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No one is not saying we do not know [what] it means...
Actually, you did: "No definitive definition."

Still, much of this is about ThatGuyPhobia. A lot of people are afraid of be the first dude on the dance floor. I've had other officials say to me, "I'd call it, if other officials would." And then, we go home, watch a game, and complain about the flop they just saw on TV. And we wonder why we see it more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
What if A1 illegally elbows B1 on the collarbone but B1 goes down holding his mouth as if he just lost some teeth? Is that faking being fouled?
I suppose, but why would you? Why wouldn't you hold the point of impact? Wouldn't that make a more effective sell?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 09:33pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Like I said, it is an individual's interpretation of what "faking being fouled" means.
It appears we have a difference in context. I judge the actions on the court, and interpret the wording of the rules.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 10:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I suppose, but why would you? Why wouldn't you hold the point of impact? Wouldn't that make a more effective sell?
Maybe A1 has gotten away with an elbow earlier and B1 wants to make sure the official notice this time?

Quote:
It appears we have a difference in context. I judge the actions on the court, and interpret the wording of the rules.
Judge/interpret, choose the words you want, but what I consider "faking being fouled" means there has to be no contact. Would I be wrong? If so, on what basis?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 11:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If this issue is such a problem, why no POE about this ever?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 26, 2012, 11:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Judge/interpret, choose the words you want, but what I consider "faking being fouled" means there has to be no contact. Would I be wrong? If so, on what basis?
I feel the same way. I have only seen it once in my career and I was more stunned that was done and I am not sure it was a rule then.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Every Party Has A Pooper ...

Quote:
And don't anyone get any bright ideas by posting that Meg Ryan video.
Spoil sport.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 05:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Kick The Can ...

Quote:
Much of this is about ThatGuyPhobia. A lot of people are afraid of be the first dude on the dance floor. I've had other officials say to me, "I'd call it, if other officials would."
Good point, especially in regard to "Fashion Police" issues.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 07:46am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Maybe A1 has gotten away with an elbow earlier and B1 wants to make sure the official notice this time?

Well, let's break it down. What led you to that conclusion?
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why do I have to break it down? That's what I judge to be faking a foul, no contact involved. You may disagree with my interpretation, but you can't tell me I'm wrong based on anything in the rule book or case book. You only have your interpretation which I would have no basis to say is incorrect either.

Which comes to my point, without further guidance it's strictly up to individual officials, assignors, or state organizations to determine what "faking being fouled" means and it's arrogant for any individual to say their interpretation is "clearly" how the rule should be viewed and adjudicated. (not saying that's what you are doing)

Of course all this is just rhetorical for me because there is no epidemic of flopping or faking being fouled anywhere I work.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why do I have to break it down? That's what I judge to be faking a foul, no contact involved. You may disagree with my interpretation, but you can't tell me I'm wrong based on anything in the rule book or case book. You only have your interpretation which I would have no basis to say is incorrect either.

Which comes to my point, without further guidance it's strictly up to individual officials, assignors, or state organizations to determine what "faking being fouled" means and it's arrogant for any individual to say their interpretation is "clearly" how the rule should be viewed and adjudicated. (not saying that's what you are doing)

Of course all this is just rhetorical for me because there is no epidemic of flopping or faking being fouled anywhere I work.
+1000

Peace
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm not BNR, and I'm not going to "break it down," but I will state that to me, in order to fake something, you have to know it didn't happen. IOW, for a player to truly fake being fouled, they have to know they weren't fouled. I'm not convinced players don't think they're fouled every time they get touched.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm not BNR, and I'm not going to "break it down," but I will state that to me, in order to fake something, you have to know it didn't happen. IOW, for a player to truly fake being fouled, they have to know they weren't fouled. I'm not convinced players don't think they're fouled every time they get touched.
No...they have to do something that wasn't caused by the contact that is intended to make others believe it was caused by the contact.

I'm amazed at all the cleverness people go through in trying to ambiguate a very simple word to as a way to justify not calling this T. I'm OK with not calling the T but at least be honest with yourself about why we're not calling it. To say you don't know what the word "fake" means is a lazy cop out.

Next thing you know, we'll be debating the meaning of "is".

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Apr 27, 2012 at 12:17pm.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 01:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No...they have to do something that wasn't caused by the contact that is intended to make others believe it was caused by the contact.

I'm amazed at all the cleverness people go through in trying to ambiguate a very simple word to as a way to justify not calling this T. I'm OK with not calling the T but at least be honest with yourself about why we're not calling it. To say you don't know what the word "fake" means is a lazy cop out.

Next thing you know, we'll be debating the meaning of "is".
So A1 is driving to the basket and jumps to shoot his layin. B4 runs past him and takes a big swing but misses. A1 yells and then falls to the floor as the ball goes through the basket. You immediately call the T on A1, right?
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 03:14pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Why do I have to break it down?
Because, you requested a "basis" to disprove your theory. That assumes you have a basis to prove it. It cuts both ways.