The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Defender was in position for a while, and made a slight slide at the end to give up LGP.
FIFY.

Block, easy.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The contact took place in the lane BTW.
Peace
The contact was not in the lane. Both the defender and the shooter were fully outside the lane on the C's side at point of contact.

(you might consider the defender's heel to be on the lane line but that really isn't enough to say the contact took place in the lane)

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 03:41pm.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The contact was not in the lane. Both the defender and the shooter were fully outside the lane on the C's side at point of contact.
I thought JRut was using the RA principle (on the line is in the lane)
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I see what you are saying about the width of the defender, but I don't understand how can a defender be a step late and take the brunt of the contact in the torso. It wasn't the lower level contact that knocked her down.

I'm liking the PC call made.
The defender was still moving into the path...she never made it fully into the shooters line and the block was more of a glancing blow. Note the directions the players fall. The shooter deflects back to the outside relative to her path and the defender falls to the inside relative to the shooter's path. That tells me the defender never made it into the path.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

(you might consider the defender's heel to be on the lane line but that really isn't enough to say the contact took place in the lane)
Well you need to go back and look at it, because the defender was in the lane, then moved to cut off the ball handler. The contact took place with the defender with a foot (left) on the floor in the lane. The defender was still coming forward and then her feet were eventually out of the lane, but landed on the floor completely in the lane. Now in Men's mechanics they want the Lead to watch that defender as they were coming over as secondary help to stop the drive. Maybe this is a Women's college thing, but that is a play they want the Lead to call or focus on as the competitive match-up is coming at them. It does not mean the C cannot make this call or make a call, but they do not want the Lead to just ignore this contact. To me outside the lane means the contact, player and everyone was outside the lane when the play took place. The play certainly originated outside the lane, but ended up there no matter how you want to split hairs. When both players are laying in the lane, it did not take place completely outside the lane either.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me outside the lane means the contact, player and everyone was outside the lane when the play took place. The play certainly originated outside the lane, but ended up there no matter how you want to split hairs. When both players are laying in the lane, it did not take place completely outside the lane either.

Peace
While I agree this is the lead's call to make (defender rotated from lead's primary), you should go back and look at that video again. Your description doesn't match the facts. The point of contact was outside the lane and the shooter never even contacted the lane or had any part of her body over the lane, at any time, much less was laying in the lane.

Either way, it is a block.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 04:12pm.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PC foul for me. The defender got in the path before the shooter went airborne and got run over.
Peace
You said PC earlier but then you describe a block...

Quote:
Well you need to go back and look at it, because the defender was in the lane, then moved to cut off the ball handler. The contact took place with the defender with a foot (left) on the floor in the lane. The defender was still coming forward and then her feet were eventually out of the lane, but landed on the floor completely in the lane.
Peace
Which one is it?
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 04:21pm
Back from the DL

Meanwhile, the myth-pushing analyst insists it's a block, "because (she's) coming from such a long way." Grrr...
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 04:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Camron,

The second comment was about why the Lead would have that player and make a call, not necessarily what I believe the call should be. And yes the defender was coming forward which they can legally do until contact takes place.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that would depend on what camp you are going to. Men's basketball has asked for the Lead to make these calls and we even have been said to defer to the Lead on these plays.
JRut, to qualify Jeremy's earlier comment it's the NCAAW camps where you'd get killed for being the primary on this as the L.

If Notre Dame had been in a half-court offense and Diggins had beaten a defender then the contact took place where it did, NCAAW says the L can double it to help with the second defender but it's still the C's primary. Since this play started from midcourt it's on the C to take it to the hoop.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 05:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
JRut, to qualify Jeremy's earlier comment it's the NCAAW camps where you'd get killed for being the primary on this as the L.

If Notre Dame had been in a half-court offense and Diggins had beaten a defender then the contact took place where it did, NCAAW says the L can double it to help with the second defender but it's still the C's primary. Since this play started from midcourt it's on the C to take it to the hoop.
It very much matters what kind of camp you are referring to as the HS and NCAAM's camps in my experience those camps would want the lead to not pass on this amount of contact where it took place. Now if the two players were totally on the other side of the lane, different story all together. Of course this is the C's primary and the play originated from the C's area.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That's What I Would Call ...

Player control foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 09:44pm
(Something hilarious)

Block in person (it was coming right at me), and block now.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The contact took place in the lane BTW. And that would depend on what camp you are going to. Men's basketball has asked for the Lead to make these calls and we even have been said to defer to the Lead on these plays. I am not going to camps where officials are getting baked, they are getting praised for the Lead to make these calls and certainly with the contact in the lane.

Peace
By this very comment, contact in the lane, men's ball, this is the L's call = block. The defender came from the L's primary, was moving into the path of the offense, and the L had the best look.

I happen to know someone very close to the 3 officials on the game. It is my understanding that the L had a block, but the C (Jones) had a quick whistle on the play, and it was a good thing the L (Mattingly) didn't get a chance to make the call.

By the way, talk about ego's on the floor for that game!
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 11:03pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
By this very comment, contact in the lane, men's ball, this is the L's call = block. The defender came from the L's primary, was moving into the path of the offense, and the L had the best look.

I happen to know someone very close to the 3 officials on the game. It is my understanding that the L had a block, but the C (Jones) had a quick whistle on the play, and it was a good thing the L (Mattingly) didn't get a chance to make the call.

By the way, talk about ego's on the floor for that game!
The play in the OP is from the ND-Uconn semi-final. Mattingly and Jones were on the championship game. Are you talking about a play from that game?