The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Call on the court = PC. What do you have? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90457-call-court-pc-what-do-you-have.html)

JetMetFan Fri Apr 06, 2012 07:58am

Call on the court = PC. What do you have?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d-PXhOUuQDE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

StlCards Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:06am

Looks like a block to me.

truerookie Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:31am

Block!!

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:06am

I'm alright with either PC or block here. It's a bang bang 50/50 play.

This crew could have supported each other better, that L had a chance in this play to hold up a fist for a double and in the other play it's the same L, she almost signaled charge when the C called a Block.

Jeremy Hohn Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 836058)
I'm alright with either PC or block here. It's a bang bang 50/50 play.

This crew could have supported each other better, that L had a chance in this play to hold up a fist for a double and in the other play it's the same L, she almost signaled charge when the C called a PC.

many times in pregame we discuss in Women's games that a play originating from C side is C's call all the way due to the larger coverage requirements for the lead in the Women's game.

I don't have a problem with Cameron leaving that to the C in that situation. As far as the call goes? Either way. Little movement from the Defensive player sideways, but the contact was clearly taken in the center of the torso.

ballgame99 Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:14am

Its hard to tell with some college officials, but did the L even have a whistle here?

I like the PC, defender was in position for a while, and made a slight slide at the end to maintain LGP.

Adam Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:28am

PC, again, the defender is moving back and to her right after having established LGP. This one is even more solid than the other one, as the shooter never goes airborne prior to contact.

Easy PC.

I'll add that after this PC, I would have liked to see the crew go with a PC on the other play as well.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 836058)
This crew could have supported each other better, that L had a chance in this play to hold up a fist for a double and in the other play it's the same L, she almost signaled charge when the C called a PC.

Why should the L have a whistle here? The play isnt in the paint.
This play happens at the end of the 1st half, the other play is at the end of the game. The Ls discipline is better in this play than on the one she was going to punch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 836065)
Its hard to tell with some college officials, but did the L even have a whistle here?

I like the PC, defender was in position for a while, and made a slight slide at the end to maintain LGP.

Its more hard to tell with some HS officials. Why should the L call across the paint when the C has the drive to the rack?
Your last sentence makes no sense... unless you meant to say "made a slight slide at the end to ATTEMPT to maintain LGP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 836069)
PC, again, the defender is moving back and to her right after having established LGP. This one is even more solid than the other one, as the shooter never goes airborne prior to contact.

Easy PC.

I'll add that after this PC, I would have liked to see the crew go with a PC on the other play as well.

The defenders legs are shoulder width apart when the contact occurs?

Adam Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 836071)
This play happens at the end of the 1st half, the other play is at the end of the game. The Ls discipline is better in this play than on the one she was going to punch.

Its more hard to tell with some HS officials. Why should the L call across the paint when the C has the drive to the rack?
Your last sentence makes no sense... unless you meant to say "made a slight slide at the end to ATTEMPT to maintain LGP.

The defenders legs are shoulder width apart when the contact occurs?

No, she was still sliding; it's impossible to slide and keep your legs shoulder width apart; but sliding is specifically allowed and this contact is pretty square on the torso (not the only part that matters, but it's the defining factor here, IMO.)

And the foot that's not within her frame is her trail foot; her body caught up with her lead foot, IOW.

ballgame99 Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:00am

Quote:

I just know around here if there is a whistle, there is a fist/hand in the air. I don't always see that with college guys.

I don't have a lot of experience in 3 man, so you answered my question, I take it this was C's call all the way.

And I'm saying she would not have maintained LGP if she had left her feet where they were and just leaned over, then it would be a clear block. I felt like she slide her feet over enough to maintain LGP.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03am

Defenders are either doing the splits or they are moving to maintain LGP, cant do both & get the p/c.

Adam Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 836075)
Defenders are either doing the splits or they are moving to maintain LGP, cant do both & get the p/c.

I disagree that she was doing the splits. These are normal movements associated with sliding to maintain position. If having her leg extended briefly in the process negates her LGP, then you may as well remove the rule that allows the defender to be moving at the point of contact.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13am

Fair enough, I'm just saying that the defender wasnt legal with her legs that wide when the contact occurs. She was a step late & sliding to her right was the cause of the crash.

Toren Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:32am

Quote:

A delayed whistle to support the call. No signal, just fist up. I think it gives the call more validity.

tref Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:39am

Totally agree... if the play were in the paint.