The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
I think that as we get older, it does take longer to process what took place on a particular play. Thank God that hasn't started happening with me yet.

This OP play is a fairly easy travel call in an HS game, at live speed. I guess some just have the ability to process it faster. To say that it would be an 'anticipated' call only shows disdain for those able make this call correctly at live speed.
Well if officials get these plays right at live speed, why is it they cannot get travels right when the pivot foot is easily identifiable? I see so many missed travels when the player is holding the ball and about to dribble than any other kind of movement in the game at the HS level, but now we want to act like officials get a player moving where possession and when the pivot foot is established. Please do not act like there are these vast amounts of officials that can identify a play like this in live speed when they cannot get a standing player travel before and after they make a move. And the reason this play would be hard to tell by this, is because the issue is possession, not what foot was on the ground. And that is the reason I posted the other play on this site yesterday. Actually I use that other situation in our meetings and class as an example of not whether it was an actual travel, but to illustrate to call the obvious. If you have to slow anything down to determine something like a travel, lane violation or a carry, they should not be called in my opinion. And most of us are not going to get video like this to show we were right. Because if you call something this close in a critical moment without slow motion, someone might just think you anticipated like I stated and not use you or expect you will get the big call right. Get the elephants, not the ants. This play to me is clearly an ant. The last thing I want to do is make a call that is very debatable. That is clearly the case when the people that advocate calling a travel have to qualify it by what they would do in live speed.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 06, 2012, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you have to slow anything down to determine something like a travel, lane violation or a carry, they should not be called in my opinion.

The last thing I want to do is make a call that is very debatable.
Great points, if we dont guess on fouls why should we guess on violations?

Yes sir, its about the quality of whistles not the quantity.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 07:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Now this comment came from another thread about a possible block/charge call we have recently discussed with video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar's Ghost View Post
I agree with the no call, but there should have been a travel first.
This was a response to that comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
No travel there. She gathered the ball with both feet in the air then her right foot (pivot) came down and she took off from her left foot.
Now this is just an example of how HS officials love to find a travel in something that clearly is backed up by video that was not a travel. But we worry about the travel we have to slow down and call but hardly seem to be worried about the travel that we call that did not happen.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

"Now this is just an example of how HS officials love to find a travel in something that clearly is backed up by video that was not a travel. But we worry about the travel we have to slow down and call but hardly seem to be worried about the travel that we call that did not happen. " by JRutledge

I agree. This is probably the most frustrating thing for me as a coach of young players:: trying to teach them footwork i.e. (the jump stop) or moves like this one and a ref blows the whistle and I truly don't think they understand the rules for a travel. It is way more frustrating to see a travel call when there was no violation than to see a no call on a travel.
And no offense to Ceasars Ghost but when I see posts like that it means you must not understand the rules for travel in great detail. You have to understand pivot foot and gather of the ball. Don't they have videos to demonstrate gathering of the ball and establishing pivot foot?.

Last edited by jump stop; Sat Apr 07, 2012 at 08:24pm.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 09:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
It is way more frustrating to see a travel call when there was no violation than to see a no call on a travel.
Depends on which side you're on. What if the video in the OP is the guy hitting the winning shot against your team? Wouldn't that be frustrating for you?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Depends on which side you're on. What if the video in the OP is the guy hitting the winning shot against your team? Wouldn't that be frustrating for you?
Yes it would be frustrating but not as bad as calling a travel on our player who hit a game winner and did not travel but made a great move.
So It would hurt less to get beat by Bynums shot as an opposing player than it would to have a travel called on my player who made a move like the one in JRutleges video. I think most people who play or coach ball would agree

Last edited by jump stop; Sun Apr 08, 2012 at 11:59am.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
J\There was a tape shown of Doc Rivers' son of making multiple violations in gathering the ball on this very site while he was playing for Duke. Did anyone say anything about the officials not adhering to the rules and worried about entertainment? Nope.

Peace
Of course not...but replace Doc Rivers' son with Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, and then the officials aren't enforcing the rules and it's allllll entertainment!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Of course not...but replace Doc Rivers' son with Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, and then the officials aren't enforcing the rules and it's allllll entertainment!
Even with the fact that I have seen Kobe Bryant and LeBron James called for more travels in the past month than I saw in that one game with Rivers?

Peace