The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 04:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

AllPurposeGamer: Thanks for posting all the videos during the tournament. They really contributed a new dimension to our Forum "debates" this year.

I'm a little curious about how you posted them. I don't need all the "geeky" electronic details, just a quick, simple, description of how they got from your television set, got "cut down" to the exact play we needed to see, and then got posted on the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post
allpurposegamer: Thanks for posting all the videos during the tournament. They really contributed a new dimension to our forum "debates" this year.
+1
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

It was a pleasure.

I actually streamed all the games from the NCAA March Madness in demand (next year, I might mess around with getting a capture card to capture from the TV and see how the quality ends up...). I then used a capture program to capture whatever portion someone requested. Next used an editing program to make the clip (cut out irrelevant parts, add slow motion portion, etc). From there, it's just a matter of uploading it to YouTube.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 06:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
That's it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It was a pleasure.

I actually streamed all the games from the NCAA March Madness in demand (next year, I might mess around with getting a capture card to capture from the TV and see how the quality ends up...). I then used a capture program to capture whatever portion someone requested. Next used an editing program to make the clip (cut out irrelevant parts, add slow motion portion, etc). From there, it's just a matter of uploading it to YouTube.
I liked the s l o w m o stuff! Thanks!
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 07:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Down By The Old Mill Stream ...

Quote:
I actually streamed all the games from the NCAA March Madness in demand (next year, I might mess around with getting a capture card to capture from the TV and see how the quality ends up). I then used a capture program to capture whatever portion someone requested. Next used an editing program to make the clip (cut out irrelevant parts, add slow motion portion, etc). From there, it's just a matter of uploading it to YouTube.
How about an answer in English?

Thank God somebody understands this stuff, because I don't, so I often have to rely on the kindness of strangers. To give you an example of how computer illiterate I am, my hard drive failed last week, and I ended up buying a new computer. I had a "backup" on an external hard drive. I actually paid the Staples kid, who just barely started shaving, to transfer my "stuff" from my external hard drive to my new computer. I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I paid him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 03, 2012 at 07:29pm.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 07:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have to echo this. I used the videos for my association and my new official's class. These are a much better way to make a point or to have debate. Video is the main way to go and thanks from someone that loves these videos much more than what we use them here for.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

APG, Billy is correct. It did provide for some interesting debate and video don't lie. Thanks. Job well done!!!!
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 09:55am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Don't listen to him, APG, I understood it completely. What capture program did you use? And, aren't you concerned about breaking copyright violations on YouTube? (I've been busted for that myself, though it was years ago.)

And I heartily thank you as well.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 10:23am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
He used something in his all in one abbacus / slide rule device that allowed him to replicate a section of a talkie and then placed it here on a virtual bulletin board for all of us to view and discuss.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Don't listen to him, APG, I understood it completely. What capture program did you use? And, aren't you concerned about breaking copyright violations on YouTube? (I've been busted for that myself, though it was years ago.)

And I heartily thank you as well.
I used a trial version of Replay Video Capture 5 (which limited captures to 2 minutes per clip).

As far as violations go, I actually had more issues last year and technically had my account closed down due to having "three strikes" for copyright claims, but I submitted counterclaims claiming fair use and got the clips restored and the strikes removed.

From what I've been able to find, since the clips are non commercial, educational, only use the portion of material that is needed, and since the clips are changed up for the most part (cutting and splicing the different angles shown of the play, 1/2 speed slow motion, etc), then fair use can be claimed.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I used the videos for my association and my new official's class.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is something I would like everyone's opinion on.

Do you think videos like this, or of pro plays, are appropriate for high school meetings? I think basketball plays have worth no matter what level, but let's just say I have to be very careful about the plays I use during our high school meetings. Some people feel like it is "big timing" to use clips from a higher level.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

How is it big timing it (I know, not your words)? Basketball is basketball...just because a certain level handles a play differently doesn't mean one can't use a clip and apply whatever standards are dictated for a level of play.

And the benefit I find in using plays from NCAA and NBA games is that we're afforded multiple angles to see plays...all in HD. There's only so much one can see and tell from the usual view we get at the high school level.

Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is something I would like everyone's opinion on.

Do you think videos like this, or of pro plays, are appropriate for high school meetings? I think basketball plays have worth no matter what level, but let's just say I have to be very careful about the plays I use during our high school meetings. Some people feel like it is "big timing" to use clips from a higher level.
Oh my, as long as the rims are 10' & they shoot FTs from the 15' mark & both teams have 5 players on the court... basketball is basketball.

If they were learning to bake a cake & had the opportunity, I wonder would they seek out the neighborhood lady (local) or Sara Lee (worldwide).
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 02:47pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
How is it big timing it (I know, not your words)? Basketball is basketball...just because a certain level handles a play differently doesn't mean one can't use a clip and apply whatever standards are dictated for a level of play.

And the benefit I find in using plays from NCAA and NBA games is that we're afforded multiple angles to see plays...all in HD. There's only so much one can see and tell from the usual view we get at the high school level.
I agree with this 100% and this is why I used them.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2012, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

For violations this is really helpful to show visual learners or just to be able to have a discussion on the finer points of the rule.

As for fouls and judgement calls...
Couldn't you just show the clip and say that you want this play called a certain way? I wish that each of my assigners/conferences/leagues would tell me how they would want plays called instead of just hearing "We call it tight" or "We let them play here" or any other vague comment.

These videos can help create consistency.

PS Thanks APG!