The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Most awesome basketball play EVER!

Half court alley-oop out of a shotgun formation. [VIDEO]

The best thing about it is it worked! The worst thing about it is that if the ref had been counting, there'd have been a 10 second backcourt violation. Edited: OK, he was counting, maybe just a little slow.

Last edited by mplagrow; Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 02:42pm. Reason: new observation
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

The player gathered the ball (and thus team control started) at the 7 second mark...the player released the ball at the 17 second mark. Strictly speaking, unless the official judged the throw to be a try, it should have been a 10 second violation while the ball was in the air...I'm guessing 95 percent of officials aren't going to make that call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Good point, touche. I was too honed in on the clock.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Fiveum Member

I can't be positive, but it looks like the official stops his count when the ball is released into the air. Maybe he really did consider it a try at that moment.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:31pm
Official & Member

Looks like it would be better in a Globetrotters game. Total bogus play. The defense just falls back and does nothing while offense lines up and then continuse to do nothing as the "wide receiver" circles in for the alleyoop play. Probably a year end charity game or all star game at some small high school. I love how the parents cheer after he dunks.

What self-respecting coach would tell his team to just stand there and play the foil while the other team makes you look like fools?

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 03:33pm.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
I can't be positive, but it looks like the official stops his count when the ball is released into the air. Maybe he really did consider it a try at that moment.

Either that or he added an NBA rule into the HS game.

FTR, although the "play" is effective theres nothing awesome about it to me.
The man in motion not only moves toward the LOS but he's well past the neutral zone prior to the snap.
And this is why I carry a flag on the hardwood!
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post

The man in motion not only moves toward the LOS but he's well past the neutral zone prior to the snap.
I'm betting most officials think the rule is the same as the NBA rule.

Also, I've got illegal shift and offside...defense will definitely accept a penalty.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I figured they were playing arena rules.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I had to make that call a couple of times in HS games & boy did I catch grief... until I emailed the rule/caseplay the next morning, that is.

Initially I was ok with the shift, but since I work youth fball where theres no clock (plays per quarter) we can go with the live ball penalty
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

APG:

Could be the officials were just looking at the game clock for guidance -- and no time had run off at all. This was apparently such a serious game, the ump never chopped the clock in on the jump -- never even raised his arm before the toss, in fact.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had to make that call a couple of times in HS games & boy did I catch grief... until I emailed the rule/caseplay the next morning, that is.

Initially I was ok with the shift, but since I work youth fball where theres no clock (plays per quarter) we can go with the live ball penalty
All five players didn't get set for at least a second before the snap...heck it'd actually be a false start...at least in Texas where we play football under REAL rules (what forum is this again? )

Amesman:

Who knows...wouldn't be the first time the U1 didn't chop time in for a jump ball. As to the backcourt count, the official who tossed the ball DID have a count, albeit technically slow. Even if they were using the game clock as a reference, it was technically a violation unless the official judged the throw to be a try, and that the player released the ball before 10 seconds (as it was really close).

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

The question I have, did the coach tell the officials of any "unusual plays" that they were going to run? If not then I have no problem with penalties here.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 05:34pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
APG:

Could be the officials were just looking at the game clock for guidance -- and no time had run off at all. This was apparently such a serious game, the ump never chopped the clock in on the jump -- never even raised his arm before the toss, in fact.
You're right that no one chopped the clock, but it did start at the right time. You can see it up on the right wall. It appears team A got possession in the backcourt at 7:59 on the clock and released the ball at 7:49 - if you count down the 10 seconds yourself because the clock doesn't show at that point.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 10:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
You're right that no one chopped the clock, but it did start at the right time. You can see it up on the right wall. It appears team A got possession in the backcourt at 7:59 on the clock and released the ball at 7:49 - if you count down the 10 seconds yourself because the clock doesn't show at that point.
I don't think the clock started right; it doesn't seem to start until A2 catches the ball in the BC.

Timing it by the video clock, the count gets to ten just before he releases the pass. My count is pretty close, but I'm not sure it's that perfect. I have called ten second violations with the pass in the air, but I probably hold off on this one; especially if it's a post-season charity game.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

This play is actually from a small school league south of where I am located. I work a game or two down there most seasons. It is my understanding that the play occurred during a senior all star game, hence no back court count. I'm also assuming the schools found the officials as the assignor that sends me down there wouldn't have only sent a 2 man crew.

I may have had a flag on the play as the reciever in motion was moving forward on the snap.