The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I thought this was rather humorous from some site i found when I googled Sean Corbin:

Sean Corbin was born March 18, 1966, and is currently an NBA referee. He has officiated 760+ regular season games and 25+ play-off games. Sean’s charitable efforts include working for health care for the homeless and raising money for charities by erroneously ejecting players from NBA games, triggering a league mandated fine (which goes to the charity of the players choice).
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Tome -

I agree with what you are saying and I think everyone has made some great

points. Based on what you said, do you think that the NBA training is that

further ahead of the NCAA training or is just that they spent the last 20

years seeing better ball than college officials. Or could it be that every DI

supervisor has his own style and their is real no consistency in the NCAA

game.........

APG - please jump in as well, you always bring a great NBA insight to your posts
I think a large part of it is as you say...Joe DeRosa and Sean Corbin spent at least 10+ years officiating the highest level of basketball with the best athletes...and they were pretty good at it since DeRosa had worked Finals games before and Corbin worked playoff games himself. I also think with the NCAA adding some NBA-like rules and philosophies/POEs, things like freedom of movement, RA plays, wipeouts at the rim, etc are second nature to them.

Also, in the one or two games I've seen them work, I notice they rotate a lot more readily and quickly compared to partners...a byproduct of them working so long in the NBA where they rotate a lot more quickly/readily...seems to help them get into position a lot more often than not and not have to call across the paint as it seems to often happens in the men's game.

As far as consistency wise, as long as individual supervisors/assignors have the power to hire/fire officials, there will always be inconsistency...heck we can see that when people talk about how games are officiated between the Big 10/Big East versus say the Pac-12. I do think this has improved with the addition of absolutes and adding the RA.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Lethargic is the wrong word. Maybe apathetic would be more apropos as a possible description.

But he gets plays right. And he was the one who came in from the trail to pick up that PC foul right before halftime in one of the early round games.
Dissent.

Corbin was the lead on that play. Earl Walton came from the trail to get this call. I was really happy for Earl to have a different type of spotlight moment at the end of this season.

That said, I still think Corbin is top-flight. Really wish he'd gotten a chance to work the final weekend.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke View Post
Dissent.

Corbin was the lead on that play. Earl Walton came from the trail to get this call. I was really happy for Earl to have a different type of spotlight moment at the end of this season.

That said, I still think Corbin is top-flight. Really wish he'd gotten a chance to work the final weekend.
Negative...Corbin was the trail.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Negative...Corbin was the trail.

Ah, the vagaries of trying to pick out officials on a streaming broadcast.

Thanks for the correction.