The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Sean Avery

Just thought I'd open a discussion on the new Sean Avery rule. Seems to me like he found a loop hole and it has now been closed. But the official telling him in the middle of the game if he did it again, it would be a penalty? Seems like making up rules to me...

For those that didn't catch it, Avery screened Brodeur by facing him and putting his hands and stick in front of Marty's face. Never touched him one time, just trying to distract him. The NHL put in a new rule the day after saying this is unsportsmanlike... without any votes from its board of governors. Seems like Bettman has absolute authority huh?

This may not get discussed here, but thought I'd try.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 09:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I didn't put much effort into finding out info about this incident, becuase I think Avery is a joke, but I thought I heard that this type of act could be deemed unsportsmanlike already.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Just thought I'd open a discussion on the new Sean Avery rule. Seems to me like he found a loop hole and it has now been closed. But the official telling him in the middle of the game if he did it again, it would be a penalty? Seems like making up rules to me...

For those that didn't catch it, Avery screened Brodeur by facing him and putting his hands and stick in front of Marty's face. Never touched him one time, just trying to distract him. The NHL put in a new rule the day after saying this is unsportsmanlike... without any votes from its board of governors. Seems like Bettman has absolute authority huh?

This may not get discussed here, but thought I'd try.

And it was NOT unsportsmanlike?

In baseball such actions are obstruction and penalized.

Being able to stop such foolishness and petty behavior with executive level mandate should be lauded, not criticized.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
My concern is the NHL's "Hand of God" in changing rules without following its own rules in how to to so.

Does Avery's play belong in a hockey game? Probably not. Did it break the rules at the time he did it? Nope.

Remember Mazeroski (2B Pirates) found a similar loophole one time. After a foul ball on a hit and run, he never retouched his base and took a 89 foot lead towards 2nd base. Nothing to stop him from doing it. Not sure when that loophole ended up being closed.

Avery is a bit of an a$$. But he's my team's a$$ Because of who he is, it seems he can do no right. Last night he was getting horse-collared after whistles, and had a big red target on him. Never reacted back. Tried to shake Marty's hand after the game, only to get the ignoring treatment.

He shouldn't be officiated or treated any different than any other player... every game, no matter what the sport, should be a fresh beginning.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
My concern is the NHL's "Hand of God" in changing rules without following its own rules in how to to so.

Does Avery's play belong in a hockey game? Probably not. Did it break the rules at the time he did it? Nope.

Remember Mazeroski (2B Pirates) found a similar loophole one time. After a foul ball on a hit and run, he never retouched his base and took a 89 foot lead towards 2nd base. Nothing to stop him from doing it. Not sure when that loophole ended up being closed.

Avery is a bit of an a$$. But he's my team's a$$ Because of who he is, it seems he can do no right. Last night he was getting horse-collared after whistles, and had a big red target on him. Never reacted back. Tried to shake Marty's hand after the game, only to get the ignoring treatment.

He shouldn't be officiated or treated any different than any other player... every game, no matter what the sport, should be a fresh beginning.
He's my team's a$$ now, it would seem. And now he is suspended by Bettman for using the phrase "sloppy seconds." That, to me, is a little overboard by the NHL commish. I am beginning to believe that Bettman is in complete control of the sport. He obviously has it in for Avery, even though Avery has done his best to draw attention to himself. I just think that any suspension for something of this level is ridiculous. Leave the discipline to on ice events.

Personally, when the OP incident occurred, I was not at all a fan of Avery, but respected his intelligence of the game to know what tactics he could use to give his team an edge, within the parameters of the rules. I thought Brodeur's response (who I did have admiration for as a player at that time) was over the top and childish.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.